It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

alaluma1 HB User
Question swollen legs for 11 years!!!! im tired!

i have lived with my legs swelling up everyday for like 12 yrs. they reduced when i lie down but start to swell up anytime i stand or sit. they can swell really bad, as big as my laps sometimes. they tend to swell less in cold weathers. i have gone to different hospitals and due to all the test i have done, there is nothing wrong. one doctor told me it was lymphedema but the thing is based on what i have read on it, there is no part that says the swollen part reduces and swells again contantly. my legs goes really down in the mornings but by noon it is already swollen badly again. im 18 now and im sick of seeing my legs swell for no reason like that. the legs makes me stressed out sometimes and i tired of it. i really need to know what is wrong.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: swollen legs for 11 years!!!! im tired!

It could be some sort of parasitic infection, do you have any other health problems? Have you tried wearing compression stockings to reduce the swelling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Also, in the early stages lymphedema does go away when you lie down. Still, it could be hereditary or caused by a parasite.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
(female)

alaluma1 HB User

I have tried the compression stockings. didnt work

Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
(female)

qtgritch HB User

My left leg has been extremely swollen for years. I got bit by a spider and the leg got infected with cellulitis. Then of course, i Had to see the doctor about it and they diagnosed it as primary Lymphedema. With simple "manual lymph drainage" massage and wrapping it and wearing compression stockings it is fine (i don't always take care of it and it swells back up!) Take care of it, it's not that bad.. but if you don't take care of it, it can get bad... you are more at risk of infections.... take care of yourself. They had me go to physical therapy and from there i learned how to do it myself. Now just to do it as I'm supposed to is the biggest challenge. And yes, when it first started, it would just do it a little... and go down when my legs were up for a while. Then I let it get out of hand... now my lower leg can get as big as the highest point on my thigh.... and I got some thighs girlfriend!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

qtgritch HB User

You should see a doctor and talk to them about the manual lymph drainage... just the stockings alone won't help. Have you been DIAGNOSED with lymphedema? Take care, see other reply too.

Closed Thread