It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

e265rho HB User
Question Anyone have Pins and needle sensations?

I am nearly 5 weeks post op surgery for 2 hammertoes and bunion. This week I have had a series of new sensations in my foot. First, I was so uncomfortable recently as I felt the pins pulling in my toe. I was afraid I did too much and went back to walking on my heal in the house and using crutches if I go out; which is minimal. The pin site felt better within a couple of days. Now I have pins and needles in my foot; mostly when elevated. I ssume this is a part of the healing process and the pins way of begging to be taken out. Anyone have these sensations? My foot is NOT very swollen which I take as a good sign. My doc said if foot significantly swells you did too much. He told me I could do the bike but due to these new sensations I am waiting. It is difficult but I am holding back to prevent any problems; elevating and icing for comfort.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Anyone have Pins and needle sensations?

At 5 weeks post op, even 12 weeks postop....you'll will have a variety of sensations, from pins and needles to sharp shooting pains. Rest your foot as much as possible and don't over do. Ice and elevate...ice and elevate..... I started doing too much, prior to 12 weeks, and my foot hurt so much. This is a long drawn out process. Don't expect much activity at all, until you are closer to the 4th month. Do start gentle ROM as soon as possible while you are at rest, otherwise, your foot will get very stiff. Hot water therapy is good. Just be gentle with yourself....This being said by someone who was panicking at 5 weeks I really put too much pressure on my foot at times..... I am almost 6 months out and I wasn't really walking even until 4 months.... It's still so early for you..... Ask about PT, for your 3rd month on....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

chic43 HB User

Pins, needles, zingers, shocks...all normal. Everything is trying to get back to normal, reconnect, function correctly. I still have occasional zingers...I'm 5 months post. Massage it out. One thing I did that seems to help with that is I would flex/bend the big toe opposite from the little toes to stretch in between the toes. That stretch seemed to help with the electric sensations.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

e265rho HB User

thanks for you reply. I haven't even begun ROM as my foot is still bandaged. All I do is flex it and I cautious about that. I cut back on icing just today; but with your advice I am going back to it. The only precautions my doc gave was to watch for significant increased swelling which I don't have. SO I guess pins and needles is all apart of the healing process. DID YOU HAVE DISCOMFORT AT THE SITE OF THE PINS?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

e265rho HB User

thanks. haven't even attempted flexing big toe yet as it is bandaged. Look forward to wiggling those toes again and wowee a hot water soak sounds grand. I am still in the waterproof shower boot.
These posts really help me to remember.......take it easy.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

The discomfort I had with my pins led me to find this board. My pins were the removable kind. It was the source of most of my pain. Once they were removed the foot improved a lot. They slid right out, so it must have been skin/nerve irritation, at least that is my non-medical opinion.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

chic43 HB User

DEFINITELY had discomfort with the pins...OMG!! Both pins were sitting on nerves. I made the doctor pull out the first one (I had removeable K wires) after a week. That one sat on the nerve that sent lightning bolts up to my knee. The other one she wouldn't remove until 4 weeks. It was a very long wait as it was also sitting on a nerve. She pulled it out a smidge which really helped.

Take it slow....really. If you figure, the reality is at least a 6 month long recovery...why rush? Take your time, and listen to the foot (kinda like "talk to the hand" huh? Nah)...anyway, I think because I thought it would be a quick and easy recovery I felt rushed to keep up. 5 months post now and finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

dinkles HB User

You said the pins and needles sensation is more when you have it elevated. ME TOO. I will be 5 weeks postop this Friday. I try to elevate my foot as much as possible and after a short time having it elevated, I have to put it back down as the pins and needles sensation starts for me as well as a burning sensation. I don't see my doctor until next week for a followup and if I am still experiencing this, I am gonna ask him about it. Usually moving my foot will take away whatever weird sensation I am experiencing.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

So how long before your feet felt totally normal without any weird feelings after surgery? I am told it could take up to a year for everything to "settle down" I hope I start feeling normal long before that. I had morton neuroma surgery a month ago and I am still have weird feelings in my foot. I guess if I knew for sure that in time everything would settle down, I wouldn't be concerned, but the problem is that there is no guarantees in life.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
(female)

e265rho HB User

Dinkles - We are at exactly the same time frame; five weeks post op this friday for me too. The discouraging part was I felt a little more mobile with my crutches and went a couple of places over the weekend (transported by car of course) and then these sensations occured with discomfort in my toes with the pins. I freaked and obsessed all day Monday. The good thing was I rested well. THe tough part is there is no exact science here. Doc says DUE WHAT YOU CAN. IF FOOT SWELLS SIGNIFICANTLY YOU OVER DID. What kind of advice is that? He also said I could do the bike? I worry about doing crunches, pilates, and weights while in a chair. As much as I long to go on that bike I am waiting it out.

PAtience patience Patience. Good luck to you.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
(female)

e265rho HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anyone have Pins and needle sensations?

Thank you all. What a relief to here you all experience similiar weirdness. I agree with you Janesfoot -- these pins are the worst of all and have been from the start. I pray he pulls them out on Monday. I am due back to work July 7th and can't imagine that occuring if these pins are attached to my toes.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
(female)

chic43 HB User

e265rho, if you can, try to turn the pins every so slowly. If you can get them to turn in a complete 360 then it won't be so difficult for the doctor to pull them out. I *know* it sounds/looks/feels gross, but my doctor told me to start turning them and the pin came out really easily (the second pin that was in for a month)...it helps the tissue to not adhere to the pin.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Chic43, I beleive you mentioned turning the pins under a former user name. I took your advice and turned them before the pins were to be pulled (4 wks post-op). They turned just fine, and knowing that helped me to be much more relaxed about the removal. The removal did not hurt at all, but he did have to tug at one which was kind of bizarre to watch. Hopefully e265rho, you will find relief with the pins gone. I'm now 7wks post-op. The doctor released me from care today and I went to the mall. There is life after foot surgery!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Did your foot feel "normal" after 7 weeks with no weird feelings. Has anyone experienced numbness after foot surgery and if so how long did it last?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Well, my feet haven't felt normal for years. I don't have a "good" foot to compare my post-op foot to. My foot was a bit sore on the bunionette/bunionectomy side (I had bunionectomy on both sides of the right foot). The big toe side is a bit stiff, but I've been doing the ROM religiously and the doctor said he could feel the toe "give" because of them. I walked around slower than usual, but was on my feet for about three hours. Foot looks a tad swollen on top by toes, but that's it. Swelling was never a big issue for me, thank goodness. My issues were with the suture sites and the pins. So no, my foot isn't normal yet, but it looks pretty cute, and the old pains are gone.

Closed Thread