It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Cool Total Recovery Time For Foot Surgery

HI

How long does it usually take for total recovery following foot surgery, where you foot feels totally "normal" again without any weird feelings?

I am over 4 weeks post op and I am still experiencing some weird feelings. I should be getting "the boots" off within a week or two. (I had a procedure done on both feet, both from the top of the foot, where I have been able to be weight bearing) Maybe my feet will be happier in "normal" shoes" I imagine that feels weird also, getting back into normal shoes. What was the transision for some lf you? Maybe I am expecting too much, too soon.

Sharon

Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Total Recovery Time For Foot Surgery

Depending on the type of surgery, it can take quite a long time for "total recovery.
Examples of my surgeries:

1) Morton's neuroma - told 12-18 months and that it would not be a linear recovery. It was about 10 months or so for me and it was not linear. Ups and downs for quite some time.

2) Cheilectomy - told 1 year and that was pretty close. That's when I felt that the hole drilling had paid off, etc. All things being as back to normal as could be. And this one was linear. Each day was a little better with no backing up.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

One of my procedures was for Morton's Neuroma ( the neuroma was removed from the top of the foot) the other was hammertoe surgery on opposite foot. I know that a couple of my toes will probably remain numb, but I just hope I don't continue having the bunched up sock feeling, as well as a feeling of walking on broken up seashells. I am believing it will subside as it continues healing.

When you say ups and downs, what kind of feelings did you experience with neuroma recovery? How long before you were able to dance? Hopefully not 10 months!! How did your foot feel in about 3 months? (That's when I hope to resume teaching my dance class) I will be graduating to a regular shoe soon, and I imagine that will feel weird also.

Thanks for your input

Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh, I went ahead and danced at the next opportunity after having the stiches out.
I'm thinking that was about 2 or 3 weeks later since we have one at least once a month. I don't know about the seashell feeling or the bunched up sock. To me the original pain was a sharp, stabbing one and that went away immediately. It was the swelling and the tingling that came and went over time.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
(female)

dinkles HB User

I'm 5 weeks post op and my incisions are on the bottoms of both feet. I started weaning away from the boot into a tennis shoe last week and still am limping quite a bit and walking very gently when in the tennis shoes. My doctor told me it would be up to 3 months before all is "normal" again. So, that is Aug. 23rd for me. My incision site is about 2 inches long on the bottom of one foot and nearly completely closed and very tight feeling and when stretched hurts so I try to very gently stretch it a little bit each day. I was never told the full extent of recovery when I had my surgery. I've learned more here on this board than my doctor ever told me. I think "normal" depends on the person and the type of surgery and what we consider "normal" to be. "Normal" to me will mean less pain and now getting back to where I can walk without limping. Putting on tennis shoes for the first time was also very weird feeling cause you get used to having the protection of the boot/cast and then it's gone. When you do make the transition, do it gradually, baby steps. My doctor told me to just put the shoe on and go. I discovered increasing the amount of time a little bit longer each day was the best thing to do.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your comments...maybe a tingling feeling in my foot is a better way of describing it, rather than a bunched up sock feeling. I have no swelling any more and never did have much due to diligent icing and elevating right after surgery. My pod did say the entire healing process would take up to a year.

I'm sure getting back to athletic shoes after wearing these boots for over a month will feel pretty strange and I think switching from boot to shoe and going at it gradually will be the best plan.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 06-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Closed Thread