It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Unhappy Numbness After Foot Surgery

Has anyone experienced numbness in your foot following foot surgery, and if so did it eventually go away. I am 5 weeks post-op and that's what I am feeling. Pod says it will take up to a year for everything to settle down, so I hope he is right.

I have never had any type of surgery until now, so I guess I wasn't sure what to expect. I was hoping my foot would feel nearly normal by now. What I had was morton's neuroma surgery. I knew I would have a little numbness in two of my toes where he took out the nerve, but I am feeling this weird feeling on the bottom of my foot also. Perhaps the incision is still in recovery mode.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

itsanewme HB User
Re: Numbness After Foot Surgery

right there with ya
Just went to a Pilates class, didnt use my toes, used my knees when others were on toes, etc
foot went numb - Im icing it now
Notice when I walk outside in my sneakers that the bottom of my foot feels "thin", like there's no pad. Im assuming thats because of the nerves.
When I do other gym classes (just started yesterday) I do squats when others do lunges - I avoid the toes in everything.

I was told 4-6wks limited activity followed by another 4-6wks to be back to normal. Since the surgery I was told it may take 6months for numbness to go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When I got my splint off after arthroscopy, half my foot was numb. The feeling returned to most of it within days, now I just have a small area near the lateral incision, and on the medial side of my big toe. I'm 3 months out, it might go away entirely, if not it's a small price to pay for being able to walk without a cane.

It's pretty common, and there's a good chance that it will get at least somewhat better.

Last edited by janewhite1; 07-02-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

there is always numbness after any kind of surgery. it will go away in time.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
(male)

steveSD24 HB User

it depends on your doctor and how much experience he has. i had 2 surgeries in the past 16 months and i am still numb just like the first day.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Steve

What type of surgery did you have? I had mortons neuroma surgery 7 months ago. What I am still dealing with is some numbness as well as weird sensations on ball of foot right underneath where the incision was made on the top of my foot between my 3rd and 4th toe (next to baby toe) Getting very discouraged to say the least.

Sharon

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
(male)

chriswoodward HB User

I have the same problem after rupturing an Achilles tendon. The top of my foot has been numb ever since the surgery, and that was 8 months ago. The Doctor had no explanation for it. It is especially bothersome when trying to sleep.

Closed Thread