It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User
2nd bunion surgery---major pain---please help!!!!!

Hello, oh where do I begin. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue, I am beginning to lose ALL hope. Last Aug. 29, 2007 I had my first bunion surgery, lapis procedure. Well the doctor performed the surgery wrong, he shorted my first metatarsal, making the second one bear all the weight. Walking was extremely painful. I had pain under my first (big) toe, like I was walking on something, and my toe did not touch the floor. So I found an orthopedic surgeon who said she could fix it. So on April 2nd, I had my second surgery. She lengthened my first metatarsal, shortened my second metatarsal, fixed a bunionette, and moved my heel back, and removed one sesamoid bone. I have a total of 7 incision sites. But I am now 12 weeks post op and able to start wearing a shoe. I just started PT about 2 weeks ago. Although I am still having the pain under my big toe, I feel like I am walking on a bone. It is extremely painful. And my big toe does not tough the floor again. Please has anyone else had this problem, if so does it ever go away. I am very concerned that I am only 27 and will be in pain for the rest of my life. I would greatly appreciate any response or insight someone could give. many thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: 2nd bunion surgery---major pain---please help!!!!!

Hi BunionPatient,
Wow. You have been through a lot. I had a lapidus bunionectomy in June 2007. My big toe was not able to touch the floor either when I started to walk again. That part is normal, it is a result of the surgery, and it tooks months of isotonic exercise, which consisted of standing on one foot (the surgical one) and bending at the knee. Eventually, the big toe will lie flat on the ground with the rest of the foot. I'm not sure about the pain under your big toe, but for me there was a lot of pain when I started walking in the ball of the foot (probably because the sesamoids were moved to their proper area). You've had a lot of things done to your foot. It will be painful for your foot to learn how to walk again with its new configuration. My foot was more painful as I started to walk again, and had to use a prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Maybe you should ask your doctor for this. You've had the surgery, now your foot is healing. The recovery is very slow. Eventually the pain will lessen. Even at 12 weeks, continue to ice and put your foot up when you can. Remember after you walk a little, you must rest.
Eventually those rest periods will get shorter and shorter. Welcome to the boards. There are many people here who have gone through a lot of foot
problems. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

This is a hard one to give an answer to because your major complaint with the first surgery continues to be the major complaint.
The second surgery seemed very complex and I do not think that enough time has elasped for you to realize the end results.
However, did you go to orthopaedic surgeons for both surgeries?
I had severe bunions repaired. I sought the opinion of an orthopaedic surgeon and POD before the surgeries.
The POD seemed so much more knowledgeable about what he was going to do. Plus he had done hundreds of surgeries of the foot. The ortho guy was known for his feet surgeries but was way off with what he was going to do for me. I have had great results but it took many months for my feet to readjust to pain free.
Find a POD that is board certified for foot surgeries, ask his staff how many bunion surgeries he/she has performed, ask where he/she performs the surgeries (this is very important for quality issues good hospital=good surgeon). Take your whole case and rays along and have a good hash out of what is perhaps the problem. Be positive and perhaps this third person can help you out.
I listen to public radio and there is a weekly show with a physician who always tells people tht if they want a second (third) opinion find someone 100miles away. This is because at that length the doctor's do not know each other and will be more willing to give a more honest opinion.
Hopefully, you find some help.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, and thank you for your responses. I had my first surgery by a board certified POD and my second surgery by an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. How many months did it take for you feel pain free? I am starting to lose hope, thanks for your advice. Greatly appreciated.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

At three months, I was still pretty miserable, at 6 months, the pain was considerably less and I felt then that I was going to be ok. At 12 months, there is just stiffness, and very tolerable. I am going to get ready now to do my other foot. At three months, I was saying I would never do this surgery again, at 6 months, I was dreading daily to have the surgery again. Now, after 12 months, I'm ok with the idea, I know I have to do it.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Thanks for your reply, I am still really losing hope. I just don't understand why I am still in pain. And especially with the same pain I had with the first surgery. I was not in this much pain before any of the surgeries. I would rather have my bunion back, they are huge but at least less painful. Oh well we learn from our mistakes right, just stinks I have to live with this for the rest of my life and I am only 27. Again thanks for you reply, greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

My first bunion was a disaster in that I had to have two surgeries.
The second completely redo came a month after the first surgery.
So, 6 weeks turned into 10 weeks in an external fixation device (brutal stuff) and a boot.
I thought that I would never walk again!!
When the device was removed in November, I did not have a pain free existance or the ability to walk without issues until May of the following year.
However, I am three years post op and just fine now.
I had the second foot done with some freaky disasters at first but then perfect healing at five weeks post op.
The second foot was so much easier to deal with because it was just in the boot for six weeks.
You have had sooo many thing happen to your foot and those issues will take a long time to heal.
Quite honestly, I live in Wisconsin and with the first foot, I ran around in flip flops for a year and a half.
My foot was never cold. I use to double sock them in winter pre surgery to keep my feet warm. I would only put shoes on for a snow storm.
What this told me was that my feet were healing for that long of a period of time.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, and thank you for your reply. Did you have pain in the sesmoid area after your surgery? If so how long did it take for it to go away? Also did your toes touch the floor after your surgery, if not how long did it take for them to touch the floor? thank you kindly for sharing your experience with me.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

My foot had so many pain issues. I just remember two months after the external device was removed.....I wore sneakers to try to return to my exercise walking.
I was never able to walk very far (2 blks) before I had all kinds of issues with discomfort. I can't really say where it was because it varied on the bottom of my foot.
First of all, the bones have to come to terms as to where they are going to settle because they have been soo readjusted by the surgeries.
You are also still swollen though you may not be grossly swollen.
The shoes and sandals that I was wearing for a year post op are really too big for me now.
I would say to give yourself six months post op to really understand how the foot is doing.
After that point, you should really be better and things should resolve themselves.
Two surgeries is really so much more difficult than one on the foot (as my previous post).
I was so frightened about everything and really, honestly I am fine now and would never have expected to be so fine.
I cannot really remember how long it took the toes to touch the floor but that did not happen that fast.
Have you had any PT, if not get some physical therapy with someone who really understands how to deal with a foot.
It made a huge difference for me and my understanding of what to do.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

bunionpain.. I think you need to give it time. I had the same issues for several months after my bunion surgery (left foot). Toe would not touch the ground and it felt like I was walking on bone. I believe it's because of the position of the toe, that if you don't have a lot of padding on the bottom of your foot under your toe joint, you are putting pressure on the bone when you walk. As your foot heals and your toe becomes more flexible, it will come down and the "walking on bone" feeling will go away. I think I was really about 6 months out from surgery when all that went away. I didn't have full movement of my big toe joint for another couple of months after that (I had a lot of scar tissue).

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Wow, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with all of these issues. I am really glad to hear it will all eventually go away. That is wonderful news. Did yours fully go away, and do you feel "normal" now? Are you able to wear cute shoes, dress shoes and sandals? I am very jealous when I look at other women wearing great shoes, I am only 27 and have never been able to wear those shoes.

Cosmic-I am doing PT, I start about two weeks ago, although my first place was not a very good PT department. They were so concerned about my ankle and did nothing with my toe movement. I was very disappointed with them. Therefore I switched to another place and have only had two treatments, but I am much happier with them and hope to have some success there.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, please share any others you may have.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I am 3 years out from my surgery with no pain. Walking barefoot for awhile or a LOT of walking sometimes I get some discomfort not in the joint, but in the area where my screws are, but that's it. I somewhat can wear cute shoes, but I have one more bunion (right foot) that stills needs to be operated on. I do wear sandals with no problems. (I'm also 6 foot tall with size 11 feet so cute shoes for me are hard to come by )

Closed Thread