It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

bren073 HB User
THe Boot

The cast is off and now in boot. Expected boot to feel better than cast, but not much. Using the one I had prior to surgery. Wonder if I need a different one the doctor didnt see it, just told him I had one at home, didnt see point of having 2. Read the post re: Vitamin E and massage, my PT suggested it also. I didnt expect thereapy after Dr. visit yesterday would have taken pain pill. It does hurt afraid to apply pressure with massage. Dr. said I could do partial WB. How much is partial WB. Where do you begin? Not a lot of pain until therapy yesterday, just hurt and stinging at incision site. Sometimes have shooting pains in different parts of foot. Worked 3 hrs a day this week. Not bad, but was glad to be home afrter those 3 hrs. Thanks for all your posts. Really helpful.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: THe Boot

i dont understand partial wb if you are in a boot. i think you should ask the dr and tell him what kind of boot you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the boot comes up almost to your knee, it's probably the right boot. If it's just a few inches past your ankle, call and ask.

Partial weight-bearing means you walk with your crutches, wearing the boot, and put your surgery foot on the ground with each stride, sort of walking while also leaning on the crutches. It is a slow process, it's to teach you to walk again.

Start off with just a tiny bit of weight on your surgery foot and just a few steps at a time. If that's ok, gradually (over days or weeks) increase the amount that you are leaning on the bad foot. You may want to use a bathroom scale to see what 10 pounds or 25 or 50 pounds of pressure on your foot feels like.

Also, make sure your good foot has a shoe which is the same height as the thickest part of the boot sole! Otherwise, you will hurt your hips or lower back from walking unevenly. I used a hiking boot.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

e265rho HB User

I found with each change; sutures out, pins out; etc. I was in pain for the next two days with increased swelling. I used a cane and put most of the pressure on my heal and used crutches when my foot hurt too much to walk on. I learned the hard way about having the other foot in something equally as high. I initially walked in the house with slippers and had terrible cramps in my but and thighs. I did wear a sneaker pretty close in height thereafter.
good luck.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
(female)

kristian85 HB User

hey, I was told that partial weight bearing was wearing the boot alone :S Maybe thats why my beak is taking so long to heal :S

Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

bren073 HB User

Thanks for all your help, going try more walking today with boot, feels awkard though. Is it OK to exfoliate leg and foot but avoid incision sites?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

do you still have bandages? if not i think it would be able exfoliate, but stay away from the incision.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
(female)

bren073 HB User

Thanks debbie g. Will do

Closed Thread