It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Smile Deep Tissue Massage For Scar Tissue?

Has anyone had a deep tissue massage to help break up scar tissue on foot after surgery? I was told by my pod that I have some scar tissue on the ball of my foot following mortons neuroma surgery and that it should start feeling better in about 3 months, but it may take up to a year for everything to settle down. (I am 6 weeks post-op) I don't understand why I would have scar tissue on the ball of my foot when the incision was made on the top of the foot.

I was reading on a site that deep tissue massage may help break up scar tissue. I am looking for some suggestions as to what might help tissue and if deep tissue massage worked for any of you. Also how before your scar tissue resolved itself?

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 07-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Deep Tissue Massage For Scar Tissue?

I am grateful you posted this question. I apologize, but I have not had a deep tissue massage so I cannot really answer. However, I can tell you my ortho surgeon suggested I take a few minutes at the end of each day to massage my ankle and my leg around my scars. He believes some of the nerve pain and discomfort I get is due to scar tissue being tight and pulling on some of the nerves.

I am anxious to see what kind of response you get. I have been thinking about getting a deep tissue massage just to see what the result would be. Maybe it would help.

Good luck and keep posting!
Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
(female)

Edelweiss HB User

I have a neuroma that acts up occasionally as well as plantar faciitis. My podiatrist also suggested nightly massage. It does feel sooooo good, especially if you have someone else to do it!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

after my bunion surgery, my pod told me to massage the area as well to break up the scar tissue. I had a lot of it and it took awhile.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Did your pod say anything about massaging with Vitamin E capsules? I have read of some people that have done that, but I don't know if it would help more than just massaging.

About how long before the scar tissue went away and how often did you massage. I was thinking of morning and night, but I imagine as often as possible would be the best.

Thanks Sharon

Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

no (about the vitamin E) although that would be good to massage the scar with. It may help lubricate the skin in the area you are massaging so that would be beneficial. I'd say as often as you can would be the best, but at the same time too often may actually irritate the site. For me I had a lot of scar tissue and my main focus was to break it up enough to move my toe joint normally again. It took my 9 months to be able to bend my big toe up enough to stand on my tip-toes.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
(female)

Gnocchi HB User

You may want to take some ibuprofen before the first couple times you do it. It can hurt a lot when you start breaking up that tissue.

It gets easier as you go along.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

has anyone feel they have broken up some scar tissue? i tried massaging, but it didnt work. maybe i didnt work on it long or hard enough.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the replies. I am going to start some aggressive massage treatments at least a couple time a day. I hope if I remain deligent that it will help. Where it really bugs me is on the ball of the foot, not so much on the top where the incision is.

I know I will probably always have numbness in two toes where they removed the nerve during the neuroma removal. I guess my foot feels sore and weird feeling on the bottom because that's really where the neuroma was, even though they removed it from the top. I guess it takes quite a while for things to settle down.

I just want my life back. I have been dealing with this neuroma problem for 3 years, and I guess I was expecting instant relief immediately after surgery, but not so.

Sharon

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
(female)

dinkles HB User

I'm glad this question was asked. I have been massaging my feet for about a week now each evening. Both of my feet still hurt (not at the surgical sites though), everywhere else that wasn't operated on hurts now. What is the difference between just "massage" and "deep tissue massage"? Is deep tissue massage something I can do myself (unfortunately no PT coverage for me and noone to rub my feet for me). I am anxious to be out of pain and willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Vitamin E is for the scar on the outside of your foot. It helps minimize the appearance by fading it and smoothing it out.

You should definitely be massaging your foot every night. It's the best way to break up the scar tissue. If you do it after a bath or shower that helps because your muscles are loosened up from the heat.

Another option is ultrasound. My PT used ultrasound on my foot and it helped break up the scar tissue and improve my range of motion.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, I have had a deep tissue massage and myofasicial release done by a massage therapist, and it is great. I had two recent bunion surgeries done and have seven different incision site, and one was really long and puffy. He was able to soften the scar and break up a lot of scar tissue. he also does the stretching (release) which really helps alot. It really stetches the tendons and muscles. It hurts at first but feels great at the end. I would recommend having it done if you can find a good therapist to do it. Hope this helps, any other questions just ask.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone I appreciate suggestions from those who have been there done that. I will continue massaging often during the day and after a shower. Where would we all turn to if we didn't have this board. So great to chat with and give and receive support with those with similiar problems.

(Hurray!! I finally got to take my first real shower last night and actually got the ok to get my feet wet after 6 weeks!!) It was a real pain pulling on those aqua shield bag over my boots before showering..felt great to get my feet wet.

Bunionpain:

How many deep tissue treaments did you have to go to before your foot started feeling better from the scar tissue? I know of someone is a thearaputic massage therapist. Would that be the type of therapist to look for who would do deep tissue massage? Did your insurance pay for it and were you referred by you pod to go there?

Thanks Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 07-12-2008 at 10:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancinboots For This Useful Post:
LoriLynnB (05-16-2012)
Old 07-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, I had approx. 4-5 treatments before I noticed a real difference in my foot. I did not have a referral from my surgeon, I decided to go myself, and my insurance did not pay. I went a person add who stated he did myofasial release and did post surgical scar removal. He really stretches my foot out and it does hurt at the beginning of the session, but when I stand on my foot afterward it feels so much better. hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
(female)

Edelweiss HB User

I message both the ball of my foot and the heal (plantar fasciitis) every night when I get into bed. Some nights, I feel moderate pain. However, I keep at it for only a few minutes using a cream lotion. So far it seems to be helping.

Closed Thread