It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
(male)

steveSD24 HB User
my cast is so damn tight

ok here is my story:

i had a surgery last tuesday to repair a peroneal tendon. 3 days after the surgery i went for the post op and the doctor put me in the cast. the cast was ok at the beginning but after 3-4 days it started getting really tight around the incision area so i went in and he put a new cast. i slept with it. when i woke up the cast was very tight on the side of my foot by the small toe and also by the heel. seems like the second cast is even worse then the first one. now i wish i had the first one and never went back to the doctor. this one is really killing me.
now i dont know if i should call him or not. is he gonna get all ****** off about it?
is it normal for a cast to be so damn tight? i have it elevated all the time. i have 10 more days to go until i get out of the damn cast.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

forevergimpy HB User
Re: my cast is so damn tight

I'd call him if you are really uncomfortable. If nothing else he'll be able to tell you if he thinks it's a concern. How high are you elevating? Maybe you could try to keep your toes above your nose and put ice behind your knee off and on every 20 minutes to see if that helps.
Sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable! Are you taking anti-inflamitories?
I hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

mjjenner HB User

I can relate. I had a total of three casts and then finally an air-cast boot. I went in a week after the first cast because my toes were becoming numb, a week later because the cast was so tight around my ankle I thought I'd go nuts, and then went in a week later. I don't know if you have an option of a boot, but don't feel bad about calling. I was embarassed to keep calling their office, but they said this happens a lot. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

I had a different type of foot surgery, but my cast felt tight at the beginning, but as the swelling went down it was more comfortable (well as comfortable as a cast can be) if you're doing everything the doctor says to and you're still uncomfortable. by all means, call him. and don't feel bad about it. doctors are used to it and maybe you just need a little reassurance, but better safe than sorry. Please let us know how you make out.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: my cast is so damn tight

Steve

You probably have some swelling and it is makeing the cast too tight. I would call the dr. and don't worry about whether he gets po about it. You have a right to have a cast that is comfortable while you are healing.

Take care, Nadine

Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

I had a cast for 3 weeks, no problem and then had it changed. The new one was so tight that it lasted one night and I went back and had it changed. This cast I was able to tolerate for about 10 days until I had a small meltdown. It took all I had to call again because I felt like a wimp and was really embarrassed but I finally did. They weren't mad at me at all and said I shouldn't be too uncomfortable. I was laying on the couch about 20 hours/day so I was keeping it elevated as much as possible. The last cast they let my toes really stick out far and that seemed to help. I could ice better that way. Good luck and hang in there. I know the 10 days will seem very slow so you might get it changed!

Abby

Last edited by akirka; 07-19-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
(female)

Caroline777 HB User

Hi SteveSD24,

I broke my right heel and I had five different hard cast, each time they put on a new one it hurt like crazy. Once the swelling went down it was better but I had a hard time feeling comfortable. One reason is because I am very claustrophobic and having the cast on made me feel smothered. I lost more sleep from anxiety that was caused by my claustrophobia than I did from my injury! I went and had my cast change several times. The last cast I had on I mentioned to the cast person that I was claustrophobic and he gave my toes lots of room he pulled the cast down just below where my toes start. That helped out a lot. You want to mention that next time you have your cast replaced. Also research cast claustrophobia on the internet and this website you should get a lot of info and advice.

Caroline

Last edited by Caroline777; 07-23-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
(male)

steveSD24 HB User

my doctor said i will be fully recovered in 6 months. its almost 6 months and im not even close to be 100% recovered. i have alot of swelling and pain when i go to bed at night. i did alot of (A LOT) icing in the past 6 months. at the beginning i did about 4-5 times a day and then 2-3 times after that. i still have swelling and pain sometimes. and the ankle still looks pretty damn big. (almost 6 months after the surgery). i am also having pain right above my ankle on the side of my foot (left side of left foot). the pain starts right above the ankle and goes about half the way to my knee.

and my doctor is a complete jack ***. last time i saw him, i was about to beat the crap out of him. he jokes about everything. the only thing he cares about is money. he didnt even show up after the surgery to tell me what the hell he did to my ankle. i dont even know what to do. so far it costs me over $4k after insurance paid its part. i dont even wanna think about another surgery.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

steve, i had a triple arthrodesis (fusion) done in may. my doc said that foot / ankle surgeries can swell for 8 - 12 months after. i still get some swelling when i am on it a lot. the pain you describe sounds like your peroneal tendon, that is the path it takes. are you in any physical therapy? you should be, it sounds like your tendon may be spasming maybe due to atrophy after being immobilized. definately get into therapy to help with the strengthening. and they can do modalities to help with the pain also.

how is your range of motion? is it normal (compared to other foot)? it doesn't sound like the surgery necessarily went wrong, people heal at dif rates. keep us updated and give me more details.

shelley

Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
(male)

steveSD24 HB User

i did physical therapy for 8 weeks 3 times a week. my insurance doesnt allow more than 24 a yr. i had no idea it was gonna cost me this much. if i knew i would just delay the surgery.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
(female)

einreb HB User

[quote=catladyfromnpt;3654754]i had a different type of foot surgery, but my cast felt tight at the beginning, but as the swelling went down it was more comfortable (well as comfortable as a cast can be) if you're doing everything the doctor says to and you're still uncomfortable. By all means, call him. And don't feel bad about it. Doctors are used to it and maybe you just need a little reassurance, but better safe than sorry. Please let us know how you make out.[/quote]
hi
i had cast on up to my knee for 6 weeks, first cast was agonisingly tight i went straight back to a/e dept at the hospital they had to cut it off and reapply new cast i had same problem again and after 2 days of constantly keeping leg elevated i went back to hospital again i felt so embarrassed but i could not hack the pain i then had 3rd cast on which i managed to tolerate for duration of the treatment, if you have a cast applied that is too tight dont hesitate go straight back to the hospital to have it removed and a new one applied, as a tight cast can cause a deep vein thombosis

Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
(female)

immortals HB User

The key is ..do something about it...don't expect that somebody else should take care of it. If it feels bad then do something. Be active in your own healing!
I had the same problem. Rather than go to the doctor and have the cast taken off and another put on and go through the same problem again, loosen the cast up by releasing some pressure. I took an exacto knife to my fiberglass cast and carved some lines around the edges at the top and in the areas where it was cutting off circulation (calf area). Eh Voila! pressure released....immediate relief.... just be careful...do a little at a time and have someone help you or do it for you. Too many people complain about a tight cast and expect the doctor to take care of it... take care of it yourself..don't let fear stop you from helping yourself! The doctor is busy enough and even though they tell you not to touch the cast (because they are only doing their job and have been programmed to convince you that you are not smart enough to know better) they probably could be doing more important things than changing casts for people who are not smart enough to come up with a solution. Changing casts is not the answer....it costs money and time....altering the existing cast is the answer....but do it carefully and with help from someone you trust and someone that's got some brains.

Last edited by immortals; 01-22-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Closed Thread