It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
(female)

DPoster HB User
Stiff toe, can't flex it after morton's neuroma surgery

I had surgery for a neuroma a month ago. The toe is stiff, numb, sticks up and I can't bend it. I fear the doctor may have cut a tendon. Has anyone had this experience?

Last edited by DPoster; 08-06-2008 at 12:00 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to DPoster For This Useful Post:
darree (08-03-2011)
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: Stiff toe, can't flex it after morton's neuroma surgery

I had neuroma surgery nearly 10 weeks ago. It was done from the top of my foot and the nerve was removed. The toes where the nerve was removed are numb and will probably remain so. I also am experiencing some stiffness and soreness at the incision site as well as a bit on the ball of my foot.

I am told it is scar tissue which I am being treated for with ultrasound as well as deep tissue massage. So far I don't notice much improvement, but I have only had 5 treatments and I have heard it takes a while to break down the scar tissue, as well as up to a year for full recovery after surgery! I come to the doctor with written questions every time I go, so I don't forget to tell him all my concerns. Don't hesitate telling him your concerns no matter how many times you have to talk to him..they get paid plenty! I see you live not far from me, I wonder if we had the same pod?

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 08-06-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

DPoster HB User

Thank you for your reply. My Dr. was Mady. I had the other foot done in June and experienced none of this. I literally cannot bend the toe. It sticks up. Can you bend your toe at all?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Yes, I can bend my toe. Did you experience any of the problems I mentioned after your neuroma surgery? How long are you being told for total recovery?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
(female)

DPoster HB User

Yes, I have had soreness at incision site. The first surgery I had no pain on ball of foot. But this one, there is that pain.

I do go to physical therapy. It will take 6 months to a year for full recovery. Six weeks of therapy. I think that helps a lot.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
(female)

crnacc HB User

I had surgery last week, 8/12/08, for a morton's neuroma. I had 2 cryotherapies and 2 cortisone injections prior to surgery without much relief. In fact, I believe the cryotherapy made the pain worse. Due to a mix up with my regular Dr's office, the paperwork to clear me for surgery wasn't available at the hospital the day of surgery. My podiatrist said we could reschedule or do it under local anesthetic. I chose local as I was ready and wanted to get this over with. I can hardly move my toes as the swelling is tremendous! My foot looks 2-3 times bigger than my other foot. I had to call to get another prescription for Percocet as I was taking 8 pills a day along with Motrin. Unfortunately, the pain is still pretty intense and the Motrin alone isn't helping. I go back tomorrow and hopefully I will get something for this pain. I have been elevating it and icing it and took the dressing off as I couldnt stand the pressure anymore. My neuroma was in between my 2nd and 3rd toes, right at the base, about the size of a pea. You wouldnt think something that small could cause so much pain. But my second toe is flexed back and I can't move it either. Did anyone else have this much swelling after surgery?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
(female)

forevergimpy HB User

I didn't have neuroma surgery, but I can say that I did (and still do) have lots of swelling! When it's at its worse, my toes are huge and will not bend either (and I'm at 7 weeks). The PT and doc both say that it will come in time and keep up with the anti-inflamitories and elevating. I wish you the best of luck. There are numerous people on this board that have had similar procedures so I hope they can offer you specific advice/thoughts.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, I had surgery on my ankle, and the toes/forefoot stayed swollen longer than the surgery site! Definitely, keep that foot propped way up above your head as often as possible, even at night.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
(female)

DPoster HB User

Thank you. My swelling has gone down. Toe is still stiff and sticking up making it painful to wear a shoe. Podiatrist finally admitted she cut the ligament. She denied this at first. The toe has disclocated. She advised me to click in in place and keep it taped down hoping that the scar tissue will hold it. This is too painful. She also says she'll have to do another surgery to put it together if this doesn't work. I've lost trust in her and am upset that she lied to me. I have made an appointment to consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
(female)

crnacc HB User

I would go to another Dr. also. If she lied to you I wouldn't trust her. I had my first follow up visit and Dr. was surprised I was having so much pain and didn't really want to give me more Percocet, afraid I will get addicted. His nurse backed me up when she looked at how swollen my foot was. I have redness/purple color around incision site and Dr. didn't know if it was infection or just bruising. I bruise very easily and swell a lot with surgery. I have noticed this more since I dont have a spleen, had it removed due to a blood condition 18 years ago so I take longer to heal. I am on an antibiotic now as he wanted to air on side of caution with the redness. He didnt really think it was infection either but better to be safe than sorry. If it is infected the pain will ease up. He told me the more severe pain lets up after 1st 2-3 days post op, but I am a wimp so here I am still in pain.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
(female)

mindyp HB User

Hi. I have had two surgeries for Morton's neuromas as well as sclerosing alcohol injections. The toe(s) will always have numbness because a part of the nerve was cut out with the neuroma. My toes were sticking up funny for a couple of months (mind you since it was the second surgery they had to in from the plantar approach and was supposed to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks) This went away for me. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Mindy

When you had your neuroma surgery, did you have stiffness and soreness at the incision site and ball of foot? That is what I have been experiencing 11 weeks post op. I also have numbness, which I expect being that they removed the nerve, but it's the other feelings I am having that are bugging me. My pod says it is scar tissue.

How long before your foot starting feeling "normal' after surgery. My neuroma was removed from the top of foot so I was able to bear weight immediately, although I had a surgical boot for 6 weeks as well as crutches for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 08-19-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Closed Thread