It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

fsifsi HB User
lapidus bunion surgery?

how long is the recovery from lapidus bunion surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

cosmic1 HB User
Re: lapidus bunion surgery?

How severe is the bunion?
Healing for any bone cuts is always 6 weeks.
These things vary for many many reasons.
Swelling, complications.
If one breezes through, then full weight bearing will happen at 6/7 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

Ninarbo HB User

My dr said 6-8 wks for my bunion surgery. It has 4 wks today for me. I still walk with crutches and the boot. Mr Dr said everyone heals different. Are you in alot of pain? I am only able to put weight on my heal. The best advice I can give you is to elevate your foot as much as possible and best of luck to you.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

fsifsi HB User

Thanks for your quick response. I'm at the beginning of a process of meeting
with two podiatrists and three orthopedists. It will involve not only
Bunion Lapidus surgery but fusion of the subtalar joint. I had an ankle
fusion in 1985, and now am needing (maybe) additional fusion in the
heel area. After reading many of the posts on this site, I'm wondering
about a lot of this. Yes, I'm in intermittent pain with my ankle/heel, but
if I trade one pain for another by doing addl. surgery, that will not make
me happy. REL the Bunion Lapidus surgery, was yours done by an ortho.
or a podiatrist? Why the Lapidus vs. regular bunion surgery? I don't know
enough about my own problem to know the difference yet, but I will
by the end of next week after I meet with several other doctors.
Good luck to you.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
(female)

fsifsi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic1 View Post
How severe is the bunion?
Healing for any bone cuts is always 6 weeks.
These things vary for many many reasons.
Swelling, complications.
If one breezes through, then full weight bearing will happen at 6/7 weeks.
I'm still in the fact-finding phase of all of this. I don't think I have that
severe a bunion at all. My big toe leans very slightly in towards the other
toes, I do have a protruding bone on the inner side of my foot, & after
I meet with the other doctors, I'll see whether they all concur that Bunion
Lapidus surgery rather than some other kind is in order. Thank you for
your response.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
(female)

Ninarbo HB User

As far as bunion surgery goes when you meet with the dr ask if you will need a pin? If so can you use an absorbent pin or do you have to use a metal pin?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ninarbo For This Useful Post:
Mjbar54 (08-10-2011)
Old 08-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

fsifsi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninarbo View Post
As far as bunion surgery goes when you meet with the dr ask if you will need a pin? If so can you use an absorbent pin or do you have to use a metal pin?
Which do you have and what's the difference b/t them?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
(female)

donna 77 HB User

I had lapidus bunion surgery May 19. I am still recovering. For me it was @ 7-8 weeks in a cast non weight bearing...that means your foot can't touch the ground. Then it has been 5 weeks partial weight bearing wearing a splint and a velcro boot. I am hoping that this 12th week my Dr. will wean me into a shoe. This 12th week I can walk around alot with just the boot and no crutches but....I still need to rest it by sitting or using the roll about. My foot didn't look horribly deformed either. I think that is because the problem is the long bone, the metarsal bone, that is inside your foot has gradually moved outwards on your foot. Because it is on the inside of your foot you dont see a giant lumpy bunion. to fix mine it took 3 incisions. One to shave excess bone off my big toe where you think a bunion might be, a second on the other side of the big toe to cut the muscle and free the toe to straighten it and a 3rd cut on the top of my foot to move that long toe bone over to its proper position , screw it in place (he used 3 the usual is 2) and then you wait for the bone to fuse or regrow in its new position.

My understanding is that at 3-4 months you start wearing a shoe but have swelling and have to rest the foot. At about 5-6 months you see the light at the end of the tunnel and at 8-12 months the swelling finally disappears.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
(female)

Ninarbo HB User

As far as I know i had a bunionectomy I also had a pie wedge of bone removed from my big toe to straighten it Therefore I had a pin in my toe and a absorbable pin in my foot where he removed the bunion. My dr told me the recovery is as if you have broken bones in your foot. The bones in the foot and toe have to heal and it really does take time. Although they tell you 6-8 wks i am realizing it is longer. I just keep telling myself i will no longer have the pain of the bunion because that was pretty bad. The web site has really been so helpful for me as far as my recovery goes , i have really meet very helpful and nice people here. Best of luck and keep me posted.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
(female)

fsifsi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsifsi View Post
I'm still in the fact-finding phase of all of this. I don't think I have that
severe a bunion at all. My big toe leans very slightly in towards the other
toes, I do have a protruding bone on the inner side of my foot, & after
I meet with the other doctors, I'll see whether they all concur that Bunion
Lapidus surgery rather than some other kind is in order. Thank you for
your response.
What were your problems prior to having surgery? What kinds of shoes
do you think you'll be able to wear once you're back in shoes?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
(female)

fsifsi HB User

Quote:
As far as I know i had a bunionectomy I also had a pie wedge of bone removed from my big toe to straighten it Therefore I had a pin in my toe and a absorbable pin in my foot where he removed the bunion. My dr told me the recovery is as if you have broken bones in your foot. The bones in the foot and toe have to heal and it really does take time. Although they tell you 6-8 wks i am realizing it is longer. I just keep telling myself i will no longer have the pain of the bunion because that was pretty bad. The web site has really been so helpful for me as far as my recovery goes , i have really meet very helpful and nice people here. Best of luck and keep me posted.
What was the pain like for you? There are so many kinds of bunion surgery.
I'm most interested in hearing what the other orthopedists say next week
in terms of that. The first guy, a podiatrist, recommends Bunion Lapidus
surgery, which involves screws. I have other ankle issues from an ankle
fusion, so I'm wanting to be very careful about what the next steps look like.
I want to be very well informed and feel as though I'm not going to be
trading one kind of pain for another. Right now, I don't limp, I can
wear all kinds of shoes, although ones with orthotics help the most, but I
do like the idea that when I want to wear heels, I can. The bunion part
that hurts is the pad on the bottom of my foot. There's one little area that
feels sore, but that's all that I'm experiencing.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

donna 77 HB User

Everyone experiences pain differently. I had no pain. I took the meds the Dr. gave me for 1 week and tylenol for 1 week after that. The only pain I had was constipation from the codeine!
I was reduced to only being able to wear sneakers comfortably. I had other shoes but they hurt...and I'm on my feet all day. I couldn't wear Clarks or Birkenstocks. Sometimes I had to mail order WW widths. I don't think my shoewear will be any worse than that after the surgery heals!
I would not do a lapidus bunion surgery for a little pain now and then!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
(female)

Ninarbo HB User

I really dont want to scare you , but I was in alot of pain the first 2 weeks. It has been 4 weeks since my surgery and cant walk, I am still using crutches and cannot wear my normal shoes I Am still wearing the boot. But with that being said everyones experience with bunion surgery is different. Like you I had asked people how there bunion surgery was and some had no pain at all and were walking by the end of the week. Then theres me where it has been 4 weeks and still cant use both my feet. Bunions done go away sometimes they get worse and sometimes they dont , but they never go away on there on. My bunion was not that big, So i would suggest doing something before it gets worse and maybe you will have an easy recovery. best of luck and please keep me posted.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
(female)

summerluvr HB User

i had Lapidus on May 14/08.

I did quite well the first while but things have reached a point and plateaued a bit.

I was patial weightbearing immediatly in cast, and cast shoe, then at three weeks just a dressing and shoe, later just a toe spacer and the cast shoe until 7 weeks, at wich time could wear any shoes that I could fit. I am now 3 months post op and can really only wear crocs and flip flops due to swelling and pain (not unbearable just annoying, I don't take any pain meds for it or anything)

I am currently wearing sneakers a size larger but I have some pain in my arch and the top of my foot where the screws are. I had a follow up last Thursday, and the x-ray showed it was not fully filled in with new bone yet, (not fused) where the screws are (hence why my foot is still swelling / some pain)

Surgeon told me it looks good and can take up to six months to fully fuse.

I am 30years olf, fit, healty non-smoker so my healing time is quick compared to some

I agree the first two weeks I was in fair bit of pain, for the first week I took percocet continuously

Good luck

Last edited by summerluvr; 08-11-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Quote:
I really dont want to scare you , but I was in alot of pain the first 2 weeks. It has been 4 weeks since my surgery and cant walk, I am still using crutches and cannot wear my normal shoes I Am still wearing the boot. But with that being said everyones experience with bunion surgery is different. Like you I had asked people how there bunion surgery was and some had no pain at all and were walking by the end of the week. Then theres me where it has been 4 weeks and still cant use both my feet. Bunions done go away sometimes they get worse and sometimes they dont , but they never go away on there on. My bunion was not that big, So i would suggest doing something before it gets worse and maybe you will have an easy recovery. best of luck and please keep me posted.
yep, and I think it depends on what TYPE of bunion surgery as to the recovery. I had the austin bunionectomy in which they did not do the big toe, only the first metatarsel (sp?). I have two screws with that surgery, but that varies based on the doctors preference and some use removeable pins.

Closed Thread