It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
(female)

denrain99 HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Hi! yes you were right as Tuesday I was aloud to walk withought that dang booth and I don`t miss it at all. My heel still gets pretty sore after awhile but I do think from everything I have read that this is quite normal. I am just wondering how long before I can start going for short walks. I am really getting impatient after being cooped up for ten weeks.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

I want to go out and start taking walks, now, too. The weather here in NC has finally gotten fresh and cool--my favorite time of year to be outside. Unfortunately, I have a bone spur at the base of my big toe that impedes "push off." It hurts more than my heel at this point (same foot). I'm having it fixed November 10. The tendon transfer and osteotomy were done June 4. He was supposed to do the toe then, too, but said he forgot (grrrr). It kills me that I could be about done with the big recoup by now. I didn't mind missing the whole Summer, but dang (cowboy cursing), I HATE giving up Fall.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

I bet you can start taking walks very soon. Just don't forget--when you decide you've had enough, you still have to get home.
(Been there, done that, LOL.)

Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
(female)

denrain99 HB User

Hi, Need more surgery - he forgot??? That would be very irritating. Kind of
know how you feel as I have been on hold for three years now as far as the surgery. You were so right about improving fast. I actually drove my car yesterday and went to the gym to walk on the threadmill as my PT had
advised me to do that to get used to walking again - it felt soooo good.
I know now I will be able to go for walks soon - we have been having lovely fall weather - it is just a beautiful time of the year.
Thanks for all the info and sure hope your doc gets you done soon - how long will you have to be off your feet this time.... Den

Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
(female)

Yeah, "forgot." I'm not sure I buy it either. The original surgery took four hours. I suspect he decided that was enough for one day. I go back and forth between resigned and peeved (exTREEMly).

I'm to wear a surgical shoe. I haven't seen one, but it's been described to me as a sort of wooden sandal. That will keep me from bending my toe. I will be allowed full weight bearing, but have been urged to keep my toes above my nose for as much time as possible for "several weeks." I asked, "a couple weeks?" He said, "Several." Hard to pin him down, but I finally got him to spit out "Six."

My PT says this one's gonna be a piece of cake after everything else I've tackled. I just want it to all. Be. OVER. I want to make plans and carry them out. I want to find a job and do it splendidly. I want my life back. In my own hands.

Sending hugs,
Lisa <--cycling between whiny, drippy puddle, and Wonder Woman

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
(female)

denrain99 HB User

Hi again, That's a long enough wait. Finally took my first walk yesterday and I was amazed at how well it went. I have so little pain compared to before the surgery. My PT
says two more weeks will make a world of difference also. Wow...........hard to believe.
So glad I had it done as I almost didn't after being told this type of surgery is not that successful. Obviously my doc new what he was doing. Wishing you loads of luck with your next surgery.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #22
(female)

<<
I almost didn't after being told this type of surgery is not that successful.
>>

Truly? I had never heard that. I'd have been upset by that, too. I think it's unimaginably brave of you to have gone through with the surgery after hearing such a thing.

My doc told me the tendon transfer and osteotomy were most likely in the cards, but was willing to let me try everything else under the sun first. More than willing, actually. Preferred it that way. He said some people can get by with orthotics, but he thought I was probably too active for that to work long-term. But he was always confident I'd have a good surgical outcome.

Most people posting here seem to have had good results--after the long recoup and hard work. That certainly gave me pause. But I'm always much more comfortable when I know every detail of what I'm in for. I spent so much time reading every single post on our surgery, shed some tears, and then prepared myself.

Thank god for all of you who post. I was going to say, you'll never know how much I needed all of you--but, you do. That is WHY you post, why we all do. Someone is going to need to hear some one thing--the mistakes we might have made, the nifty things we figured out to solve some problem. Good grief, where in the world was I going with this? I guess just that I don't think I saw even one post from anyone who regretted going through with the surgery. Even the people who had problems. That was just so comforting. I needed it so much.

Thanks for the kind words--I'm psyching up for Monday. I don't have a laptop, so may not be online much after that if I'm uncomfortable with the foot down.

And YAY for YOU, taking Autumn walks. I am so envious.

hugs,
Lisa

Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
(female)

denrain99 HB User

Hey Lisa, Thank you so much for all the encouragement you gave me. Before I had the surgery done it would not have taken much for me to back out but after reading all the
write ups I could find it gave me the strenght I needed to go through with this. Now I am so thankful I had it done as my quality of life has improved so much. I actually went shopping for three hours yesterday and actually had a great time an not too much pain.
It will only be three months on the 19th that I have had my surgery. I also do not have to wear a brace or orthotics in that shoe - just incredible.
I want to wish you the best of luck on Monday and I 'm sure you'll be fine. Let us know
how you are doing when you are able to use your computer. Keep that foot elevated - very important. Hugs to you

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
(male)

ac2403 HB User

Hi Lisa and Denrain,

Thank you for your posting. Are you both had Posterior tibial tendon transfer and Calcaneous osteotomy? I had this surgery 10 weeks ago, I am starting to walk with crutches. I only bear about 30% of weight this foot. When do I expect to walk without crutches? Do you guys ever use the compression socks? Could you please list your mile stones after surgery? Thank you in advance!

Frank

Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
(female)

I'm so sorry for not responding sooner.

I'm doing really well. Got a job I love. I don't have to think about my foot all the time. Love that. I'm actually seeing my PT right now--for my shoulder. Love that, too. Frustrated by a few things, but I am capable of taking walks again, and that is a huge improvement. I try to remind myself so.

My frustrations at a year and a half post surgery:

I still have pain. Sometimes rather a lot. It's not always in the same places, either. The most consistent spot would be the back of my heel, usually when the weather is about to change. I guess that's to be expected and may never go away.

I still have swelling. I'm still wearing my Jobst hose. On my best day, that ankle is still much bigger than the other one. On bad days it resembles a potato.

My holy grail is to be able to walk miles while barefoot at the beach. I haven't been able to yet, but that may be just that I'm scared to. Walking barefoot at all was out of reach until I recently decided I was just going to do it. Painful at first, but getting less so. Perhaps it's just a matter of exercising those muscles.

I would like to wear pretty shoes. A sandal, maybe something with a little bit of heel. That hasn't been possible yet, but again, maybe just because I haven't worked at it.

And--grrrr--I still pronate.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
(female)

ldkit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBdot View Post
Hey all you lovely, smart people!

I'm two months post op, doing so much better than I thought possible at this point. Getting around reasonably well at 50% or so PWB in a boot with a walker most of the time. Some of the time I still use the Roll-a-bout (I can't carry much when I'm using the walker--a lunch plate in the totebag is so messy). I almost never use anything for pain anymore, and while I'm still swollen all of the time, iceing daily isn't an imperative (did get some Jobst hose, though). Pretty much everything I was concerned about at my last post is not overwhelming, and I'm grateful.

My PT's wife had the same surgery by the same doc one week before me. At my last PT appointment, she came sashaying in, WALKING!--NO CRUTCHES! I am elated to think that may soon be me. My PT says it will likely depend upon how the osteotomy looks in an X-ray, and that the PWB will actually have helped the bone to heal more quickly (more weight-bearing exercise, more bone growth). Too late to not get my hopes up, but I see my surgeon again Monday...

It occurred to me today that, at this point, I might actually do as well or better with a cane than the walker. Then I'd have at least one free hand. Might be moot by Monday, but right this minute, I'm sort of chafing at the bit. I crave that little bit of extra freedom. Did any of you use a cane at some point?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #27
(female)

ldkit HB User

o my, i was starting to think i was the only person in the world to have this surgery! i hope your doing well. surgery was sept 8 and today is mar 4, i started wearing a shoe just about 2 weeks ago!. still limping some but better all the time. my foot is still swollen and the dr expects it to be for up to a year. i found using a cane with the cam walker boot the easiest. it does give you a free hand. i used a rolling knee caddy for 2 and 1/2 mo. until i could bear weight and it was great.
i would have given anything to talk to you when i was going through all this ...let me know if i can help you in any way.

The Following User Says Thank You to ldkit For This Useful Post:
12girlygirl (10-25-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
(female)

Thank you!

I'm so glad you found your way here. I don't know what I'd have done without this site. I've been back re-reading everything I can find again because my mom is having the same surgery this month.

I'm doing very well. The moment I knew I had run out of options and would have to have the surgery was when we'd been invited to dinner at a neighbor's. We'd decided to walk--it's less than half a mile. I was wearing my good athletic shoes, but nearly didn't make it. My husband walked home and brought the car for me when it was time to go home.

So now, I can walk anywhere I want. Maybe more slowely... But what an improvement! I try to remember that when I'm frustrated that my foot's not perfect.

All the best,
Lisa

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
(female)

b51kitty HB User

Hi- By now you've been healing up for several months. What I'd like to ask is - once you have this type of operation, can you ever run again? what about wearing heels? (low is ok-just very tired of flat big shoes for work-can't wear those with dresses..) how long will it take to do this? I was told to have both feet done, one at a time, like 3-4 years ago and keep putting it off. Once in a while I am ready, then it gets ok, but now that they have flattened out, they really bother me and esp. one foot more than the other, the ankle bone itself and in front of it, even my arch-what used to be- cramps up at nights. I wear orthodics but I probl need to do this. I hate thinking about the walk-about at work...but don't know how else to get around..crutches would be too hard for me-as now I don't think my other foot would do alot of supporting the one just operated on. On the worse foot, I have a bunion and a bunionette- on big toe and on little toe-ouch. I really need to do this. I think staying home 2 weeks would do alot of good. thanks for any input.

Last edited by b51kitty; 03-09-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #30
(male)

ac2403 HB User

Hi Lisa and all, Thank you for responding. It has been 6 months since my surgery. I am doing very well. I can walk, run, and play sports now without any problems. For the last 2 months I work out everyday and spend one hour in the gym each morning. I am so happy the surgery was done and it was a milestone in my life. The only question I have now is when should I remove the pins? or should I ever need to remove it?

Frank

Closed Thread