It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #31
(female)

b51kitty HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

I can't believe your doing so well-and you had the tendon transfer-and the heel cal-(cut in half) and replaced? I do well some days, pain not too severe, but some days I can literally barely walk, have to just rest a lot. I had pretty much made up my mind to do it- as if I don't my ankle will start having nerve damage - but this other sports Dr. said - o, don't do it- it's really severe and takes a long time (a year..) to actually heal up. That remark-well-made me feel not too sure.. I am not yet 60 and feel that if I don't do it now-that I will be crippled in years to come. There is no way I can go for a walk-dancing is totally out, hard to climb and go down stairs, feel about 100 having to hold on to the rails and one step at a time. Where did your foot hurt the worse? I don't know how I do all that I do with my feet hurting- guess I've done it so long I can tolerate a lot of pain. I have gone to 3 drs and even at Mayo-they all said the same thing. Guess I need to just set it and do it. How long did you have this problem before getting it fixed? I live pretty far away from where I work and in a car pool so she can help me get there if I can't drive, but getting around will be a challenge. Guess I can rent that little scooter deal you put your knee in and push around. How long were you actually out of work with this being done? Thanks for your inspiration.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #32
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Wowie Frank! Running at 6 months. I'm impressed. So glad you're doing so well.

Kitty, if it's time for you to have the surgery, it's time, and that's it. That sounds kind of zen and I don't mean it to be. There never will be a time that it will be convenient. If it's time, go for it.

You're in the right place--here--to do your research and get yourself ready.

To answer your questions from my own point-of-view:
I'm a klutz with crutches. I couldn't function in the wheelchair. The walker worked fairly well for me. But I liked the Roll-A-Bout the best. Somebody said she just used a desk chair! As I understand it, just kneeled on it with hands on the back.

I'm a year and a half out and still not wearing pretty shoes. I wore something pretty to a wedding awhile back and paid for it for a few days. Perhaps if I tried again, it would work fine, but I'm kind of nervous about it.

I was home quite a lot longer than 2 weeks, but I'm older and that may have something to do with how fast you feel ready to get back to work. I really needed my foot to be elevated for quite a while and I couldn't have done that and work, too.

I've never been a runner so I'm always impressed by those who get back to running after this surgery. There are many! I AM back to walking, though. So far, as much as 4 miles at a time. I'm pleased about that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #33
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

Oh, yeah, Frank--about the pins. They stay put unless they're causing problems.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #34
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

OK. I'm scheduled to have this surgery the beginning of April. I had the other foot done 7 years ago and the plan had been to do the right foot a year later, but to be honest, I just didn't feel up to going through the recovery again since my foot seemed to be holding up pretty well. Kitty, I think that people are right when they say that when it's time, it's time. I kept putting mine off because it just never seemed like there was a convenient time to give up a few months of my life. My foot was getting progressively worse, though, and I knew when I stepped out of a car the end of January and could barely walk a few steps that the time had come. I've been in a cast and mostly NWB since then while waiting for the surgery. I'm encouraged by the progress that many of you have made, but wish that I was a few months post surgery instead of having the whole thing looming ahead of me!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
(female)

kindercarol HB User
Smile Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Hi AC2403,
May I ask how old you are? I'm 53 and really missing the gym. Your post makes me feel so hopeful.

I'm almost 8 weeks post-op (PTTD, calcanel osteotomy, achilles lengthening, bone wedge inserted, bone fusion), and think I'm doing a pretty good job recovering.

I've been out of the cast and into a boot for 2 weeks. My surgeon said I could put 50%of my body weight on the "new" foot, but that doesn't feel right to my body, so I hold back.

I'm not sure what you had done, but do you have any recommendation for how far I should push it? I feel so bad when I read posts on this thread about people who have done damage by doing too much too soon...or folks who've gotten banged up during this long recovery.

Wishing everyone a comfortable recovery.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #36
(female)

Carol, are you getting any physical therapy? If your surgeon hasn't given you a prescription for PT, just ask. Your PT will help you do the appropriate amount of work and monitor how you're doing. Just make sure that the PTs you choose regularly see patients who've had your surgery. I think the people who've run into problems were seeing PTs unfamiliar with our grab-bag of fixes.

All the best,
Lisa

PS. There's an old southern saying, "A woman who will tell her age will tell anything." Hmm. I'm 53--whatta ya wanna know?

Last edited by LisaBdot; 03-11-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #37
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Lisa,
Thanks, it's really nice to get a response!

Well, how is everyone doing surviving these intense physical and emotional weeks post-op? I hope you're having a comfortable day.

I will be starting PT in about 2 weeks (10 weeks post-op). Your point is well taken to search for someone who knows the ropes. This is time for an expert!

Happy Friday everyone!
Carol

Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
(female)

I'm doing great! 'Course, I'm like 20 months out... But I've been reliving everything just lately because my 76 year old mom is going to have the same surgery and I'm trying my best to make sure she knows everything she needs to know and is completely prepared--emotionally and physically. (She's ready. I'm a basket case.)

Some PTs have never treated patients who've had our surgery. They will do their best, and it will be pretty good in most cases. But if you have any choice at all, it's best to see someone who treats lots of PTTD patients.

I lucked out. My PT's wife had the same surgery by the same surgeon one week before me. He REALLY understood me when I said things like, "Man, this week my incisions have this WEIRD zippy pain." He'd look stunned for a moment, then say, "My wife said the same thing yesterday!" I'm not sure if he can ever understand what it meant to me to know, week to week, how his wife was doing.

All the best,
Lisa

Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Some PTs have never treated patients who've had our surgery. They will do their best, and it will be pretty good in most cases. But if you have any choice at all, it's best to see someone who treats lots of PTTD patients.

Great advice! Unknown to me my PT (who had 20+ year's experience) had never treated anyone with this condition and tore my peroneal tendons. Please be careful!!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
(female)

Oh Emmie, that just makes me quiver.

Your posts were among the most helpful to me in the time leading up to my surgery. I've been thinking about you, wondering how you're doing these days.

sending hugs,
Lisa

Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

thanks, Lisa. I've just been taking a little break from the computer for awhile. Regarding my foot, or as I like to call it - "the evil one", well, I can do most anything I want to do. It still gives me pain as I have some nerve involvement but I am managing that. Just keeping my fingers crossed about the other foot. It's been acting up a little but I'm hoping if I ignore it it'll get it's feelings hurt and go away.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
(female)

I happened to be visiting my mom (out of state) when she was seeing her surgeon for the first time. When he heard that I was along for the ride because of having had a calcaneal osteotomy and tendon transfer, he put me through my paces (walk to there and back, stand on toes, blah blah). Then he showed me a tendon strengthening exercise for my other foot. The idea is that if I strengthen the tendon, it won't tear as easily, and maybe I can avoid another surgery.

LOVE. IT.

As always, this stuff is really not that complicated when you see it done, but convoluted when put in words. I'll do my best to describe it properly.

On your bed, lie on your side with the as-yet-undamaged (aka The Good One) foot on top.
Angle yourself so that your good foot is over the edge.
(The bottom leg can be bent, the repaired foot on the bed.)
Put a can of soup (for example) in a grocery bag or tote bag.
Hang that on your top foot (the good one).
Point your toes, keep your leg straight.
Lift the bag up and down 10-15 times.
Do 3 reps once or twice a day.

You won't get a lot of lift--that's ok. It feels awkward to do while your toes are pointed. It helps to be wearing thick socks that tend to keep the bag from slipping off your foot. As it becomes easier, add more weight.

Please don't ask me if I'm regularly doing this oh-so-reasonable investment in my future...

All the best,
Lisa

Old 03-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #43
(female)

m4g3 HB User

Thanks for the exercise
I will be having surgery in May or June on my left foot so I will try to do the exercise on my other foor. I will also tell my daughter as she has the same kind of feet I do but no insurance. Her tendon is not torn yet either.
Sally

Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #44
(female)

How old is your daughter?

L.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #45
(female)

m4g3 HB User

She is 23.
Sally

Closed Thread