It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #61
(female)

PeggyJM HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

I'm right behind you! I'm scheduled for April 9th. I've done it before on the other foot, 7 years ago, and I can't say that I'm looking forward to going through it again, but it does help to keep reading these messages. My goal is to be doing well enough to be back to teaching at the beginning of the next school year (beginning of August).

Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #62
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

I'm on pins and needles waiting for a phone call from my dad. My mom had her surgery today. Last I heard, she was in the recovery room.

hugs to all,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #63
(female)

sheilabene HB User
Cool Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Hi Peggy,
I am hoping to be back at work by then, too. I am a speech-pathologist and work in a busy clinic with special needs preschoolers. Like you, I need feet! How long have you known you would need the second surgery? I am worried that overusing my "healthy" (albeit moderately pronated) foot for the next several months is going to require a second surgery for me, too, down the road. Thanks for sharing about your experience.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #64
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Sheila,

I've known for 7 years (since my other foot was done) but as long as I could control the symptoms with using orthotics and wearing shoes with a lot of support, I kept putting it off. Finally the damage was severe enough that I have to go ahead and do it. I'm worried, though, about putting all that stress on the foot that has already been fixed. That foot still pronates some (I think it has gradually gotten worse.) and I was told 7 years ago that it might not be a "permanent" fix.

I teach overseas and so I'm flying "home" to the States next week for my appointment and surgery. (I've organized the whole thing from over here.) My husband has been able to take sick leave to stay with me for the first few weeks, but then he needs to return to school to finish out the year. I'm sort of concerned about how I'll manage once he leaves. It will be nice to have a "surgery buddy" to compare notes with!
Peggy

Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #65
(female)

sheilabene HB User

Might not be a permanent fix? Wow. Hadn't considered that. I certainly understand why you would be worried, especially after your husband goes back to work. Maybe your doc or pt can make some suggestions about how to protect your repaired foot during recovery?
I will look forward to hearing from you and comparing notes. Initial notes may be less than coherent, as I am no hero and plan to use pain meds. Thanks for staying in touch.
PS. Where do you and your husband live and teach?

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-17-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #66
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

I'd be interested in knowing if others have run into having to have another surgery done down the road on the same foot. The doc who did my first surgery said he wanted to go with this procedure (rather than a triple arthrodesis) so that I didn't burn my bridges, and could save that procedure for later, if need be. (and I HOPE it isn't needed!)

My husband and I live (and teach) in Singapore. I leave tonight for Minnesota, where I'm having my surgery. (a 24 hour trip!) Where are you?

Yes, definitely you should plan on taking pain meds! I know I will be!!! Good luck on your surgery! I'm looking forward to comparing notes!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #67
(female)

sheilabene HB User

I'm in Columbus, Ohio. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday; good luck to you, too.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #68
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sheila and Peggy,
Relax and trust those professionals at the hospital. You have many good wishes coming your way. When you're home and have time, let us know how you're doing. Take good care!
Carol

Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #69
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

Hi, all you lovely people,

I'm thinking good thoughts at all of you just having surgery.

Well, my mom is doing well. There were some glitches.

She finally mentioned to her surgeon, the day before her surgery, that she's very allergic to nickel. That pushed her OR reservation back till late in the day, allowing time for last-minute-ordered titanium hardware to arrive (surgical stainless steel can have up to 15% nickel content). Her surgeon had thought he wouldn't be using screws, but ended up doing so. I'm so glad she spoke up.

I haven't seen the sugical report yet, so haven't gotten a real handle on what he found when he went in, other than that her posterior tibial tendon was no longer attached, and he ended up using two screws.

My daughter and I tried mightily to convince Mom to see a geriatrician before surgery--the elderly are affected by pain meds differently than when they were younger--to no avail (she wasn't averse, just didn't feel she had the time!). In addition, she's had some squirrely reactions to pain meds in the past(not just allergic reactions--one made her pass out every time she stood up and it took days to figure out what the problem was). Of course, what I'm leading up to is that there was difficulty with her pain meds. To cover her pain, they had her so doped up she was talking nonsense (eg: discussing the helicopters and police on motorcycles following the car because of the drug addict--herself--riding in it).

She was scheduled to spend the first three weeks in a rehab facility. Said facility neglected to inform the family that they're under quarantine with a Noro virus outbreak. So, she's home. A nurse and a PT are seeing her there. I, personally, would not have been happy anywhere but my own bed, so that seems like a plus to me. But because they all thought they had at least three weeks to see what DMEs Mom was going to find useful, nothing was ready for her at home.

I sent my Roll-A-Bout down, but for some reason, my dad ran out and purchased a walker with a seat on the off-hand advice of a friend who noted that she knew someone who'd had "foot surgery", "and she just scooted around everywhere on that thing!" I'm annoyed that he blew off a sturdy $500 DME for a flimsy $130 thing that isn't useful for her needs. My daughter (in pharmacy) is annoyed that he blew off her request that he let her order any DMEs so she could make sure that Medicare and AARP get run properly (and they won't be out of pocket), and have anything they need delivered to their doorstep the next day so my dad doesn't have to drive around searching for stuff. My dad's going to be annoyed when he realizes that he won't be reimbursed by Medicare and AARP because he didn't file a prescription and have it run beforehand.

Is there an emoticon for smacking my forehead repeatedly against the desk?

Ah, well. She made it through surgery. She had a great surgeon. She's smart, and determined, and ready to do the work. That's what matters.

hugs to all,
Lisa

Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #70
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Lisa,
Sounds like you've got your hands full. Hope you're taking care of you too. Good wishes to your mom!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #71
(female)

Thanks for the kind words, Carol. No, I don't have my hands full, and THAT'S my problem. Well, rather, I've got my hands full here in NC, while my mom is going through all this in FL. Argh.

I don't know why it is, but I firmly believe that I can keep the people I love safe by the mighty power of my physical proximity.

hugs,
L.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #72
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Lisa,
It's not easy to be away from those we love, especially when they are hurt. Will you be able to visit your mother soon? Hang on....it'll be so much better a year from now.
Take care!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #73
(female)

Thanks Carol.

No plans at the present. My husband will be going down this summer when his dad has cataract surgery. It's in the same area, so he'll get to see everyone. I don't get very much time off from work, so I probably won't be seeing Mom for a while.

Wowie, is it ever hard. I think, in some ways, it was easier (not the word I'm looking for, but I can't think of another) to go through it myself. I felt in charge, ready for battle. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I try to remind myself that I know that's what she feels.

A few new wrinkles: She came home with a UTI and Thrush. She's developed hives--perhaps from hydrocodone, or more likely, the Bactrim (sulfa based). Long four way discussion over the phone last night between Mom, my sister, my daughter, and me:
In case it's caused by the pain meds, take another type.
Which type?
-Believe it or not, Ibuprofen was doing a good job for her (!), but doc doesn't want her on it any more because it may impede bone growth.
-Dilaudid covered her pain but made her loopy--fear of her falling when getting up umpteen times to pee in the night.
-Keep taking hydrocodone and add Benedryl--nope, both are central nervous system supressants.
Decision: Quarter the Dilaudid--it won't work long, but she's going to be up multiple times to pee anyway and can take more as needed.

I spoke with her today. She said that worked well, and maybe she's getting over the hives. My daughter really thinks the culprit was the Bactrim. After the hives clear up, Mom can do a hydrocodone challenge, then we'll know for sure.

UTIs usually clear up in three days. After she's off antibiotics, maybe she can make some headway on the yeast in her mouth.

Sheesh.

hugs,
Lisa

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #74
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Sheila,
Just wondering how you are doing post surgery...I had my surgery at 10 am on Friday morning and was home by 1:30. I was really nervous about controlling the pain for those initial hours, but did really well. It took 31 hours for the popitleal block to wear off. Just when I was thinking that this isn't going to be all that bad, it hit! Wow! Now I remember why it took me 7 years to do this again! I'm trying to focus on the end result. One thing that I'm very impressed by is the new pillow that I was given at the hospital. I'd been looking for a wedge pillow and forgot to order it and am so glad that I did! It is like those large wedge pillows, except that there is a cut out area for your thigh and leg to sit in so that it is completely immobilized. Hope that your pain is pretty manageable by now.
Take care,
Peggy

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #75
(female)

Peggy, wow! That was a quick surgery! I'm glad the block worked so well. Impressed that they provided you with a pillow! Some posters have mentioned the cut-out. Sounds like a very good idea.

Thinking of you and wishing you well,
Lisa

Closed Thread