It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #106
(female)

bxq HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJM View Post
Wow, Kindercarol! Congratulations on your first day back! I'll be 17 weeks post surgery when I go back to work, so I'm hoping that I'll be ok! We don't even own a car, so I have to be ready to walk, walk, walk! It is really encouraging to read the journey that you've all been on and see the progress as time passes.

My husband took me on a two mile "walk" in my wheelchair today to see all the beautiful blooming trees and flowers. It felt so good to get out. I need to be independent by the time he leaves in two weeks and that makes me nervous. I'm slowly working on PWB using the walker around the house, but most of the time I still use my wheelchair. I'm so scared that I will do too much too soon and regret it!
Hi PeggyJM,

I finally heard from someone who needed to have a wheelchair after the surgery. My husband takes me once a week for a short walk, and it's great to be outdoors enjoying the spring weather.

It was a surprise that the progress seems so slow(I'm 6 weeks post op) with the achilles tendon. It hurts the heel to rest it on the floor without any weight. I see my doctor next week. and I do hope he can tell me how long it will be before I am able to walk again.

Hope you continue doing well. Pleae write back if you care to share any information about this post surgical treament.

NK

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #107
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Hi Nkron,
My cast was removed 6 days after surgery and I was put into an air boot. I only took it off to shower and ice at that point. It took a long time to be comfortable putting any pressure on it. I didn't put ANY weight on it till about 8 weeks.

I had a knee scooter for the first 6 weeks and a wheelchair for getting pushed around the neighborhood or the mall by my kids. I recall the vibration when in the wheelchair hurting my foot so I would actively keep my leg off the chair and in the air. That took a lot of energy. I mostly stayed home and watched TV and read.

I was able to drive at 4 weeks (my left foot is in the boot) and it was so nice to get out again. I took a lot of short trips to the grocery store or whatever. My foot didn't like to be in the "down" position for very long so the trips were brief. Now I drive every day (at 12 weeks) but my foot still doesn't like the vibration of the car. It is often uncomfortable.

I didn't exercise beforehand. I was/am a couch potato. My feet and legs have hurt for years and years and years which resulted in giving up any exercise a long time ago. That is very hard for me mentally. I used to be an athlete and I love athletic bodies. One day, is my foot surgeries are as successful as I hope, then I hope to be athletic again.

I do recommend epson salt baths as soon as your incisions are closed over. My doctor allowed me to soak after 4 weeks. A great bath recipe is 1 cup epson salt, 1 cup sea salt, and a whole bottle of over the counter hydrogen peroxide. Pour it all into a bath of water as hot as you can comfortable lay in it. Hang out in the tub until the water goes cold (about 30-40 minutes for me). The H2O2 is fantastic for oxygenating the tissues and the epson salt takes aways all the swelling, and the sea salt gives you beneficial minerals. Ahhhh, heaven. You can add a little bit of lavendar too.

I walked around the house on one crutch today and yesterday for about 10 minutes. Wow. It's awkward but exciting. My first PT appt was great. She GENTLY massaged my calf and foot and it felt great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #108
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

My cast was removed at a week and a half when they removed my stitches and then I was put into an aircast (boot). It is nice to be able to remove it when showering, but I thought that the cast was more comfortable to sleep in. I just can't find a comfortable position with this boot...it is too bulky or something and it catches on the covers and I get all tangled up. Have any of you found something that works?

I agree that riding in the wheelchair on uneven surfaces jostles my foot so that it hurts, but it feels so good to get outside that I put up with it and then just ice when I get home. Today I used the seated scooter (it is higher than a kneeling scooter because you are sitting instead of kneeling) for my outings, though, and that felt like I had more freedom and didn't seem to jostle my foot as much.

I'm jealous, Sarah, that you are able to drive! My surgery was on my right foot and I don't know when I'll be able to drive again. I'm dreading having my husband leave in a week because I'm afraid I will be housebound. I'm also a bit nervous about being completely independent by then. I will just be 4 weeks post surgery when he returns to Singapore.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #109
(female)

SaltySue HB User

Hi, KinderCarol - you are the only other person I have heard call the surgery the "All American" - I'm in Maine, and had my surgery here 9 weeks ago. Now trying to walk, but I can see it will take time. Where was yours done?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #110
(female)

bxq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluke View Post
Hi Nkron,
My cast was removed 6 days after surgery and I was put into an air boot. I only took it off to shower and ice at that point. It took a long time to be comfortable putting any pressure on it. I didn't put ANY weight on it till about 8 weeks.

I had a knee scooter for the first 6 weeks and a wheelchair for getting pushed around the neighborhood or the mall by my kids. I recall the vibration when in the wheelchair hurting my foot so I would actively keep my leg off the chair and in the air. That took a lot of energy. I mostly stayed home and watched TV and read.

I was able to drive at 4 weeks (my left foot is in the boot) and it was so nice to get out again. I took a lot of short trips to the grocery store or whatever. My foot didn't like to be in the "down" position for very long so the trips were brief. Now I drive every day (at 12 weeks) but my foot still doesn't like the vibration of the car. It is often uncomfortable.

I didn't exercise beforehand. I was/am a couch potato. My feet and legs have hurt for years and years and years which resulted in giving up any exercise a long time ago. That is very hard for me mentally. I used to be an athlete and I love athletic bodies. One day, is my foot surgeries are as successful as I hope, then I hope to be athletic again.

I do recommend epson salt baths as soon as your incisions are closed over. My doctor allowed me to soak after 4 weeks. A great bath recipe is 1 cup epson salt, 1 cup sea salt, and a whole bottle of over the counter hydrogen peroxide. Pour it all into a bath of water as hot as you can comfortable lay in it. Hang out in the tub until the water goes cold (about 30-40 minutes for me). The H2O2 is fantastic for oxygenating the tissues and the epson salt takes aways all the swelling, and the sea salt gives you beneficial minerals. Ahhhh, heaven. You can add a little bit of lavendar too.

I walked around the house on one crutch today and yesterday for about 10 minutes. Wow. It's awkward but exciting. My first PT appt was great. She GENTLY massaged my calf and foot and it felt great.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #111
(female)

bxq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluke View Post
Hi Nkron,

Hi SarahLuke,

Thanks for responding to my message. When I decided to have the Dwyer Osteotomy and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, I was under the impression that after the surgery took place there would be six weeks of NWB, and the cast would come off after week 6. After the surgery, the pain was awful the first three weeks. I am using a wheelchair to get around, and I haven't driven a car for 6 weeks.

I learned from those of you who have had this procedure that there is quite a wait before PWB begins. My doctor never mentioned that it will be months before I get back to taking walks, swimming, or doing the things I did prior to the surgery.

I too became a couch potato in the last 6 weeks. It does get boring waiting for the foot to heal. This week I see the doctor on Thursday. He will take off the cast, take pictures of my foot, and determine what I will or won't be able to do. I hope PT will begin in the near future.

Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to write back.

NK

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #112
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone is doing. Kindercarol, how has the transition to teaching full time gone?

Sheilabene, you are two days ahead of me and I especially wonder how you are doing. I'm finally feeling like maybe I'll be ok when my husband leaves me alone this weekend. We've been working hard at me developing more independence. It sure would be easier if I could walk and drive a car, though!

LisaBdot, how is your mom doing with her recovery?

Happy healing everyone!
Peggy

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #113
(female)

sheilabene HB User

Good Morning, Peggy,
I was thinking about you this morning, too, remembering your husband would be leaving in a few days. I am confident you are feeling stronger and more independent at this point in your healing! Here's a quick update on my progress, and then I would love to hear more about how you're doing.
I am:
-moving well on crutches, but man it is tiring!
-driving short distances for errands (wish you could, too!)
-finally off pain meds
-meeting with nurse and cast tech for my second cast on Tuesday, which I'll wear for 3 more weeks
-using my knee cart in the neighborhood to build up endurance and enjoy the spring
-hosting spontaneous cocktail parties on the patio for my helpful friends and neighbors
How are you? Tell me about how your therapy and weight-bearing efforts are coming along. How is your pain management? Thinking of you!
Sheila

Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #114
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Sheila,

It's great to hear from you! I was off pain meds before having my stitches/staples out a week and a half after my surgery. I had to take a couple of pain pills on the day that I had my stitches out because my foot really hurt for about 24 hours, I suppose from being manipulated to take out the stitches and put it in a different position to put it in the airboot. Since then, however, I've felt GREAT...no pain whatsoever! The PWB has gone really well. I've been using a walker around my apartment because I'm not very good with crutches and then my scooter to move around when I go out. I feel so good that I am tempted to try to walk without my walker, but then I think that maybe I shouldn't do that because I might hurt something. My doctor did say that some of his patients are walking with just the boot (no crutches) by the time they come in for their 6 week check up, but I'm not sure I should be trying that at 4 weeks. So far I would say that this has been a MUCH easier recovery than my surgery that was done 7 years ago. I DO wish I could drive, but there is no way that I would feel comfortable driving with my left foot. I'm jealous that you are able to drive and get around that way! My boot is so bulky, that when I had my left foot in one it didn't fit next to the brake so I couldn't drive then, either!

I don't go back until the 26th, and he said that I will start PT then. He did tell me that when sitting watching TV I could take the boot off and gently move my foot around and I do that several times/day. I'm able to wiggle all my toes and move my foot back and forth, which feels good. When you go back next Tuesday are you going into a boot or another hard cast?

My husband leaves on Sunday and I'm still a bit nervous about that. I'm mostly bummed that I will be pretty much stuck at home since I don't have any way to get around since I can't drive. He's moved the patio furniture to the deck so that I can at least sit outside and read. I've been tempted to go out on my scooter alone, but we have a big hill that I would have to climb to get back home (right now he pushes me up the hill) so I don't think that I can be independent enough to take "walks" in my scooter alone!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and able to get around on your scooter and crutches. How long are you off work?

Happy healing!
Peggy

Old 05-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #115
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

Hi Peggy, hi all,

Nice of you to ask after my mom. I spoke with her this morning, and she is doing great! Infections cleared up. Pain not much of an issue anymore. She figured out a way to sit facing forward in the car, and that's been good, too. She wasn't crazy about my Roll-A-Bout, and found another one that suits her better. There's a learning curve, though, and she's taken a few tumbles. She doesn't see her doctor again for another month. Anyway, she sounded GOOD.

I had a thought for you. There are businesses (I once worked for one of them) that provide someone to take you on errands, take you for a walk, help with light housework, all that sort of thing. Their usual clients are seniors, but no reason you can't partake. It's a rare insurance policy that covers the service, but some do. I'm thinking a couple hours per week, though a splurge, might be good. I know you can get just about anything you need delivered, but there's nothing like getting out of the house.

hugs to all,
Lisa

Old 05-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #116
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Lisa,

That's a great idea. My husband leaves tomorrow so today he took me out again to go shopping, etc. and I told him that I am really going to miss getting out of the condo! He's done a great job of freezing meals ahead for me, making sure that everything is within reach and I think I'll be able to be independent. He also moved the deck furniture upstairs so that I can sit outside to read, etc. on nice days and bought me some plants for the deck so that when I look out the window I see brightly colored flowers. He won't be back for a month, though, and I know that I won't want to stay inside for the next four weeks!

I hope that everyone is doing well!

Happy healing!
Peggy

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #117
(female)

sheilabene HB User

Hi Everyone. Happy Mother's Day to all of the recovering moms out there!

Hi Peggy,

Thinking of you tonight. I know your husband has left you well-provisioned and as comfortable as possible in your "recovery suite." Have you ordered netflix for yourself? I would recommend that. Also, the website ceoexpress will give you some access to most daily, big-name newspapers online.
I am not fond of hills on the scooter, either If you can believe it, my terrier has been towing me a few blocks in the evenings! Now, there are some funny looks from passing drivers....How are you getting to therapy?
Stay in touch. I am off of work until at least end of July.
Write Soon,
Sheila

Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #118
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Sheila!

Yes, it was hard to see my husband leave, but hopefully I will be well on my way to walking by the time he returns in June! He has left me with a clean apartment, reorganized cupboards and almost 40 frozen meals that he cooked and packed away for me. My mom and step dad took me out to dinner tonight so that was fun. It has been years since I've been able to spend Mother's Day with my mom since I live overseas. They've said that they will come and take me out so that I don't feel too housebound, but I hate to be much of a burden to them since they are both in their mid 80's. I haven't started therapy yet. Even though my doctor seems to believe in the "fast track", he says no therapy until after my recheck on May 26th. I do have permission, though, to take the boot off while sitting in the recliner and gently move my foot around and wiggle my toes. So, I guess that is the extent of my therapy for now. That's still more than I was doing at 4 weeks when I had the other foot done 7 years ago. I was still in a hard plaster cast at this point.

I had quite a chuckle at the thought of your terrier pulling you up the hill! What kind of terrier do you have? We had Westies for years.

I am downloading tons of movies and my mom surprised me with an ipad so I can ******** books, movies and music to my heart's content!

Good luck with your new cast on Tuesday! Have you had any follow up xrays yet?

Peggy

Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #119
(female)

sheilabene HB User

Hi Peggy,

I go back in tomorrow for a fresh cast; a smaller one due to atrophy. 3 more weeks after that until I will get to wiggle my toes gently in the recliner. How's the weight-bearing going? I was wondering, too, about how much swelling you have when your foot is not elevated? While I'm strong enough to get around, make brief trips, etc., it is just not comfortable to have my foot down for more than an hour or so, and I wind up sitting again.

I have a 10 year-old Soft-Coated Wheaten terrier, and a 6 year-old cairn-yorkie mix, as well. It's the little mutt that pulls the scooter (on flat surfaces, not inclines). He loves a mission that he thinks is his idea! I'd be glad to ship him to you for the remainder of your recovery; he'll boss you around, too.
Hope you are well this evening,
Sheila

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #120
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Sheila,

Good luck with your new cast tomorrow! My calf is looking pretty scrawny, too, but I can adjust the air cast. The partial weight bearing is going really well. I emailed my doc to see if I could try full weight bearing because I feel like I could do it, but he said no, I needed to wait until after my follow up appointment. I can do that. I'm really surprised that I don't have any pain at all when I am using the walker and I feel like I'm putting quite a bit of weight on that foot. I would say that my foot is mildly swollen, but it doesn't even swell very much when I am up and around. Of course, most of the time I just sit in my recliner with my feet up. I'm not spending any time any more with elevating them on the foot pillow or using ice. I just don't feel like I need it. I will say that this recovery seems to be much easier this time than the one 7 years ago. This was slightly different in that my last one was done to repair a failed surgery, so the doctor had to deal with a lot of scar tissue, etc. and my other surgery included a subtalar fusion, whereas this one was a fusion of my big toe joint instead of the subtalar. But, I also had a ganglion cyst removed from my ankle this time and didn't have that last time. I do feel like my ankle feels sort of "stiff". When gently moving my foot around, I can't move my foot towards my body, but it is very comfortable for it to point my toes down. I'm sure I'll have to work at that in therapy.

I would love to have one of your little guys here to keep me company. I love spunky little terriers. My husband is now back in Singapore and skyped me tonight and held my kitty up to see me. I think she didn't know what to think of seeing me on the screen.

Let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow. You'll have to have someone take a photo of your dog pulling you on your scooter for your scrapbook!

Peggy

Closed Thread