It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

sandcastles HB User
Infection after PTTD surgery

I am 3 weeks post op (yesterday) - PTTD, FDL and other revisions.

At 1 week post-op I developed Cellulitis - put on a PICC line for 12 days and daily antibiotics - I just finished.

When I went to the Surgeons Tuesday he put me in a boot for a week to monitor the foot for any signs of return infection (heís hoping that the infection was just surface and not the ďhardwareĒ or bone grafts).

My question to you: did any of you develop an infection?

Also, when you had to use the boot, what did you wear on your foot to protect the incisions? - The boot cuts into my foot and ankle and is very painful. I hate to say it, but I welcome the cast back over this thing.

Thank you,

Sandy

Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

sunny77 HB User
Re: Infection after PTTD surgery

Sorry to hear about your infection...that makes a difficult recovery even harder. I did not have any issues with infection, so I can't answer anything related to that. Do you still have steri-strips over your incisions? I had silicone scar pads, so they covered them after the steri-strips came off. I wore knee high socks under the boot, as I found the boot irritating directly on my skin. Can you adjust your boot at all to make it more comfortable? Or put some mole skin or something in to stop it from rubbing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

sandcastles HB User

Sunny 77,

Thank you for always being so kind and understanding. You always have great ideaís and you have such a positive spirit.

I appreciate you.

I am going to try the sock - a tube sock - just the thought of it sounds comforting.

Thanks again,

Sandy

Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Sandy, I discovered the greatest thing during recovery. Dr. Scholl's diabetic socks. I bought men's so they would be really big to accomodate swelling but being for diabetics, they never cut off circulation and they are sort of mesh so they breathe well. I loved them and have continued wearing them ever since, especially in the winter. You can get them at Walmart or similar store in the men's sock department. I did have a favorite tube sock, too, but really loved the Dr. Scholl's. Do you have the kind of boot that has the inflatable bladders in it? I have had both kinds, with and without, and the one with the pump was sooo much more comfortable.

Sorry about the infection. What an ordeal to go through along with the ordeal of surgery. Hope things get better from here. Keep us posted as to how you are doing. Sending healing hugs your way!

emmie

PTTD w/tendon transfer and calcaneal osteotomy 11/05
Peroneals repaired 12/06
Arthroscopy w/debridement 2/08
couple of stress fractures thrown in just for fun 3/07, 2/08

Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Right after I got my cast off, my foot and scars were pretty sensitive. I wore compression socks, inside out, because the outsides were smoother. Sometimes I wore other comfy socks inside-out.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Sandy,

I have had 2 post surgical infections.

The first was osteomyelitis during an ankle fusion with an external fixator2 years ago. I went to the emergency room 3 times in excruciating pain before they figured out that it was infected. I had to have 2 debridements and was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I had a picc line and did the antibiotics for 8 weeks. The whole experience was awful.

The second was last year following a bunionectomy (Keller Procedure with 2 pins in my right great toe). This time it was just cellulitis (to begin with). Thank God they took me seriously when I called my ortho. He hospitalized me immediately for a few days. I had a new picc line and did the antibiotics for 4 weeks. They assumed the infection hadn't reached the bone because the site where the pins entered my toe did not appear to be infected. However, approx 2 weeks after going off the antibiotics, the infection was back and the bone pain was awful!!! They finally did an MRI and found the infection was in the bone. I went back on the antibiotics for another 4 weeks. So far, I have had no recurrence of infection. I think I am in the clear.

I am not sure what boot you are wearing, but I have found that the super thick athletic socks work well protecting the skin of my foot and ankle. Also, one of my drs gave me some padding I could use if the boot was uncomfortable. Finally, I have also used an air cast and it was the most comfortable thing I have ever used! Maybe you could ask your dr for some suggestions, although the nurses are the ones who usually know all the tricks.

I am glad you are here on this board. I have found it an excellent place to learn, "sound off," and find encouragement when I need it.

Step
Good luck and keep posting!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
(female)

April47 HB User

I currently am one week into a six-week stint in Aircasts on both feet. (24/7!) They came with thick, knee-high socks that are a mesh. Those diabetic socks that Emmie mentioned sound good.

Even with the air cells, I found the boots really uncomfortable, so my husband put pieces of foam in the areas that were pressing on me. Instant relief! Good luck with everything!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
(female)

sandcastles HB User

Step by Step,

Oh my - you went through so much. I feel like a heel for complaining about 12 days with a PICC line.

Your post has helped me tremendously in understanding that the infection can/could return. I will not ignore any symptoms (thanks to you).

Iím glad to hear that you are clear of infections. It is disconcerting to be told that you have an infection - let alone knowing the ramifications of them if they are not treated properly.

To think that a person enters the hospital in good faith to have an operation - and leaves there with an infection is almost incomprehensible.

I did buy several different types of socks today (well, actually my husband did the shopping) - as soon as he removed them from the dryer I tried one of them on - oh such a glorious feeling - they are so comfortable and not at all binding.

Thank you for your help!

Sandy

Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Sandy

Thank you for the kindness and compassion. It has been a rough 2 years.

If you would like, you can search some of the other posts under my name. A few are on the Infectious Disease board.

Good luck to you!

Step

Closed Thread