It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

badfeet51 HB User
recipe for your own ice gel packs

I originally found this on this very site and tried it myself yesterday. It works wonderful. Since it was on the site long ago I thought I would repost it in hopes someone else might find it useful. Thanks to the original poster, however I do not know whom to give the credit to.

Recipe for homemade ice gel packs

1 part rubbing alcohol
3 parts water
1 tbsp. salt

I put mine into a ziploc freezer bag and the next morning it was all gelled and worked wonderful. When you put it back in to refreeze it does not take it long to refreeze. It feels much colder than the ones you buy to me. Hope if you use it you like it as much as I did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

andrea121 HB User
Re: recipe for your own ice gel packs

I am going to go try this right now. I already collected a lot of ice packs from all my surgeries but I dont think they are as cold as they could be and you can never have to many ice packs.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Believe you me it's plenty cold! I put one together yesterday and tried it out today on my foot and it about froze me out. I would suggest putting a towel or something between ice pack and your skin. I believe you could actually get frostbite if you put it directly on skin. I used 1 cup rubbing alcohol, 3 cups water and 1 Tbsp. salt. I poured it in a quart zip lock and then double bagged it and it was still freezing cold, much colder than the ace ice gel packs you can buy.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

sorry dancin that I almost froze you out......i didn't suggest putting a cloth between your skin and the bag b/c my doc has always told me that so I assumed everyone just knew to do that. It sure is cheaper and it sure works better though, I think. My surgery is next week but I used it last time and it did really well. I always keep a small sandwich size one in my freezer for my grandkids little bumps and "ouchies".

Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

The ace cold compresses are meant to go directly on skin, which is why I thought I would try it with the homemade gel pacs, but it didn't take long to discover how frigid they are. I just put a thin dish towel between me and the gel pac and it was fine. It amazes me how frigid cold they get. Do you think it the rubbing alcohol that makes them so cold?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

personally, My guess is that it is the salt. I make a lot of homemade ice cream and the rock salt is what melts the ice and makes it so cold to freeze the ice cream. I think without the rubbing alcohol it would be a hard block of ice in the bag. But this is just my guess..... alcohol for gelling and salt for salt for freezing?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Yum!!! How good is that...homemade ice cream! The last time I had that was several years ago when we were camping at Myrtle Beach. The people next to us made some homemade ice cream and invited us over and of course we said "sure". You're probably right about the salt making the gel pac so cold. I will probably keep it in my freezer forever. It works great.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Dancingboots, I think it's the salt that makes it colder, the rubbing alcohol just keeps it from freezing solid. Kind of like when they use salt on the outside of the container when making homemade ice cream, it makes it thicken and freeze up faster. I love homemade posts, like to save some money where ever possible. Good thread.

P.S. I just noticed there were two pages and someone else said the same thing. LOL

Last edited by drs; 08-19-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hey, I've got a great idea****lets all meet down at the beach and make some homemade ice cream!! The heck with the gel pacs!!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

I will provide the ice cream and perhaps the beach also.. NC beaches are hard to beat. My only obstacle is I will be having my surgery next Wednesday the 27th. Maybe, I will have a few bowls of ice cream while I am sitting using my gel packs.....lol

Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Badfeet

What kind of surgery are you facing? I have read some of your posts and I think it is a fusion of some kind. I had a fusion procedure on a hammertoe along with mortons neuroma surgery 12 weeks ago (opposite feet) This was the first and hopefully the last surgery I will ever have to face! My foot where I had the neuroma removed still doesn't feel normal. I have stiffness and soreness at the incision site as well as numbness ( which I expected since they removed the nerve) The hammertoe that was fused is doing pretty good, besides still being a bit swollen and stiff. I am being told that complete healing takes up to a year!

If my feet ever get feeling "normal" again, I will be ready to get them in sand at the beach and dig into some homemade ice cream. What are the best beaches in NC?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

Unfortunately, I have had multiple foot surgeries in the past years. This is the third attempt since March to fuse my left great toe. This time he is going hto put in larger and longer screw, during surgery put in an inplantable (easy removeable) bone stimulator and I have already been on increased doses of Calcium and Vit. D. After surgery, both times before it was lined up perfectly and after a couple weeks the pin and screw moved. This time I will have a hard cast and be NWB the entire time. While I am not looking forward to that maybe at least it will be the last surgery. As far as the beaches in NC: for natural one of a kind beauty it is definitely The Outer Banks, Kill Devils Hill and Manteo all located together. They have the huge sand dunes (Orville and Wilbur Wright used them) remember that little tid bit of history, lol. Then, there is also Topsail Island which is very family oriented without a lot of hoopla and etc. Just pretty beaches. If its the jet set you are interested in anywhere around Wilmington NC. They do film a lot of movies there and you can do some fine shopping. But for me, its the Outer Banks. All sorts of unreal sights of natural beauty. Hope you visit NC some time. Our mountains are beautiful too. Expecially the Great Smokies. Don't believe what you hear about NC. We all do talk with a southern drawl, but not all of us are REDNECKS as the media seems to portray. While I can not imagine living in any other place than NC, I really would like for our winters to be full of snow all the time. I love snow and we don't get as much as I would like.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

Unfortunately, I have had multiple foot surgeries in the past years. This is the third attempt since March to fuse my left great toe. This time he is going hto put in larger and longer screw, during surgery put in an inplantable (easy removeable) bone stimulator and I have already been on increased doses of Calcium and Vit. D. After surgery, both times before it was lined up perfectly and after a couple weeks the pin and screw moved. This time I will have a hard cast and be NWB the entire time. While I am not looking forward to that maybe at least it will be the last surgery. As far as the beaches in NC: for natural one of a kind beauty it is definitely The Outer Banks, Kill Devils Hill and Manteo all located together. They have the huge sand dunes (Orville and Wilbur Wright used them) remember that little tid bit of history, lol. Then, there is also Topsail Island which is very family oriented without a lot of hoopla and etc. Just pretty beaches. If its the jet set you are interested in anywhere around Wilmington NC. They do film a lot of movies there and you can do some fine shopping. But for me, its the Outer Banks. All sorts of unreal sights of natural beauty. Hope you visit NC some time. Our mountains are beautiful too. Expecially the Great Smokies. Don't believe what you hear about NC. We all do talk with a southern drawl, but not all of us are REDNECKS as the media seems to portray. While I can not imagine living in any other place than NC, I really would like for our winters to be full of snow all the time. I love snow and we don't get as much as I would like.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

We've been through NC many, many times on our way to Myrtle Beach where we have been going every year for 22 years. We have also been to the outer banks several times. Beautiful & Natural!! We've drove through Topsail, but never stopped. Been to Wilmington also. If you like snow, come to Michigan.

I wish you the best with your surgery. Please keep posting.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 08-20-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

well, i have 4 home ice gel packs and a couple from previous surgeries so I am ready for Wednesdays surgery I guess. My grandchildren were at my house for the summer and will return to school tomorrow. They each wanted their own homemade ice gel pack to put in their Moms freezer so when they get a h/a or a boo-boo they will have one. I let them make their own Friday and they thought that was cool. So hey there, if you have kids or grandkids let them have a go at it. I will be talking to you all later and tell you how good they are working. I used green rubbing alcohol this time and they are more colorful than the ones I made with the clear last time. Dancin I sure hope you can get some homemade ice cream soon..... and a beach trip.....but send us some snow this winter. OK?

Closed Thread