It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Unhappy What is scar tissue and how would I know if I have it?

Please tell me exactly what is scar tissue and how would I know if I have it. I had mortons neuroma surgery about 11 weeks ago. The neuroma was removed from the top of the foot. What I am experiencing is tightness as well as soreness at the incision site as well as underneath on ball of foot. There is also some numbness. Does this sound like scar tissue?

Last edited by Dancinboots; 08-17-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: to make this a new thread - please always start your own new thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User
Re: What is scar tissue and how would I know if I have it?

I'm not quite sure how to explain what scar tissue is, but I can tell you that you usually know if you have it. From what you're explaining, it seems like you could have scar tissue*.

I did a search for you via a search engine (I don't think I'm allowed to specify which) and this was the best definition I could find:

"Scar tissue is the fibrous connective tissue which forms a scar; it can be found on any tissue on the body, including skin and internal organs, where an injury, cut, surgery or disease has taken place, and then healed. Thicker than the surrounding tissue, scar tissue is paler and denser because it has a limited blood supply; although it takes the place of damaged or destroyed tissue, it is limited in function, including movement, circulation, and sensation."

Your soreness is probably due to the Sural (I think) Nerve that might have been damaged during surgery (this is common, and to the best of my knowledge* it's completely normal) and it usually repairs itself after awhile, usually around the 18 month mark (with my surgery, the healing time was about 18 months, yours might have been different). If it's still causing you trouble/pain, it'd be best to contact your doctor/surgeon and ask them if that's normal.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon!

*I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Nikki

Thanks for your response. Actually my pod did tell me that what I had was scar tissue and it could take up to a year for my foot to feel completely normal. I had asked him about therapy such as ultrasound as well as deep tissue massage and he said most people didn't need it, but it wouldn't hurt if I wanted to try it.

Well, I went to therapy for 10 visits and it didn't seem to help. I had heard that ultrasound as well as deep tissue massage could help break up scar tissue, but it did nothing for me. I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.

Since the treatment didn't seem to help is why I am questioning whether or not it is scar tissue that I have. I know that I will probably always experience some numbness since he took out the nerve, but what bugs me is the tightness and soreness at incision site as well as on the bottom of my foot right underneath where the incision was made.

What kind of feeling did you experience with scar tissue and did you do anythng that helped it, or did it just have to run the course? I go back to see my pod a week from tomorrow and I will come with lots of questions.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

the numbness is from them cutting through the surface nerves. you may never get that back. i still have numb incisions from surgeries 15 years ago. the tightness should go away. how long ago was your surgery? also, massage your scar, that will help loosen up the incision and make sure it doesn't stick down.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi Shelly

I am aware of the possible permanent numbness being that they removed the nerve. What bugs me is the tightness and soreness. I have been massaging everytime I sit down, so I'm hoping that may help. I had surgery a little over 11 weeks ago.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dancinboots:
Eagle (12-03-2010)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User

[QUOTE=Dancinboots;3692845]What kind of feeling did you experience with scar tissue and did you do anythng that helped it, or did it just have to run the course?[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that I was able to help you !

When I had my surgery, my doctor said that it would take about 18 months to fully heal. I healed much faster than expected, but as a result I have a lot of scar tissue. I had an MRI on my ankle and that determined that it was scar tissue and fluid build up that was causing me to have the problems that I was having.

As far as I know, there really isn't much that can be done so soon after surgery. Massaging it should help a little bit, but it's going to take some time for things to completely settle. I hope that you're able to find something that works for you. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Nikki

I guess I will just keep on massaging. I see my pod next Monday and I will come with lots of questions. How did you get rid of your scar tissue and how long did it take you to heal? Did you ever have ultrasound treatments or deep tissue massage?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User

[QUOTE=Dancinboots;3693545]How did you get rid of your scar tissue and how long did it take you to heal? Did you ever have ultrasound treatments or deep tissue massage?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I have not gotten rid of my scar tissue. It's still there and is bugging me to no end . I've never had any treatments for mine and am stuck just like you with what to do.

But keep in mind, what works for one person might not always work for the other. I'll post again tomorrow with an update after I see my surgeon.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Hi again, Dancin', from another SE Michigan Eye Patient, grandmother, also have a podiatrist, pressure sore on bunyon since 2005, called a diabetic ulcer, and am hypothyroid. It's been a while but I happened to think of you and did a search here, clicked "Give a Hug". Hope you have a nice Christmas. I'm thinking of trying the Kellogg Eye Center on Haggerty near 7 Mile, because it's a little closer than where we've both been in Southfield, and fairly close to where a friend lives in a retirement complex. Your eyes doing okay? My diabetic retinopathy seems to have "stabilized". Artificial lenses sure not as good as my own were. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas 2010. Eagle

Last edited by Eagle; 12-03-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

For me, when massaging my foot, especially the scars, I would feels these lumps and get a cracking or popping. There would be hard spots. I had one I thought was bone, you could see it, but it went away.

Closed Thread