It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

crnacc HB User
pain relief after foot surgery for a morton's neuroma

I had surgery on 8/12/08 for morton's neuroma. Surgery went well but I have had a lot of swelling and bruising to the point I had to take the dressing off as it felt too constricting. Dr. gave me 30 percocets day of surgery and I had to call a few days later for more as I was taking 8 a day to control the pain along with Motrin every 6 hours. I went for my first post op visit yesterday and was placed on an antibiotic as the incision site is red, less reddened today. The nurse was very sympathetic to my pain when she saw my foot considering it is twice the size of my other foot with a lot of bruising. I told him I was still having a lot of pain so he gave me 12 more Percocets reluctantly. He acted like he didnt believe I was having so much pain as he said people that have this surgery get the worst pain overwith in 2-3 days. He said he didnt want me to become an addict. Then he put a compression dressing on it and it caused me severe pain, more bruising and made incision bleed. I guess I will have to go to the emergency room when I run out of pills as the pain is still very bad. I dont understand why Drs wont listen to complaints of pain. I truly have pain and wished he believed me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

badfeet51 HB User
Re: pain relief after foot surgery for a morton's neuroma

that does sound like quite a bit of medicine. You haven't mentioned other things you have tried for pain. You need to be off your foot, have it elevated, and you ice ice ice. It can be very easy to get too used to the medicine and it sounds as if your doc is trying to prevent that from happening. I just thought I would give you some alternate ways to try and cause a reduction in the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

crnacc HB User

yeah, i have been elevating it and putting ice on it. i ordered yesterday, should be here today, on meditation/relaxation for pain control. i hope that helps also!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Where was your incision? On top? And where is the swelling? Top, bottom, both? I had the incision on the top and walked from day 1. I was never told to elevate and ice so I didn't. I just walked. And walked, and walked. Never took anything but Aleve. Typically, you really should not need narcotic pain meds for this procedure. Are you mobile at all?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

crnacc HB User

My incision was on top. I sort of walk on my heel, also use a walker. I had my spleen removed a long time ago and since then I bruise and swell easily. The swelling is on all of the foot up to the ankle. Skin is shiny and tight on the bottom and side. A Dr friend of mine said healing process is much worse for someone that has had the neuroma for a long time, which I have had. I had a day last week where the pain was hardly present so I am wondering if a lot of it is from the infection. I am starting to feel tingling feelings back in foot like when swelling decreases. If I continue to have pain after I am out of Percocet, I will probably take some Benadryl to relax.

Closed Thread