It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

Cassie24 HB User
Broken ankle maybe?

About 6 weeks ago I twisted my ankle pretty bad. I've done this many times and every time I go to get xrays they say it's a sprain and within a few weeks it's better. I just put the air cast on that they gave me last time I sprained it.

Here it is 6 weeks later and it still hurts pretty bad. I am still limping on it. I really think I may have broken a bone this time.

Obviously I need xrays, but I'm not sure which type of doctor to see. A podiatrist or an Orthopedic surgeon? I've seen several Foot and Ankle centers in my state, should I try one of those?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Broken ankle maybe?

Yeah, 6 weeks is too long. May not be broken, but there's something significantly wrong there.

A foot and ankle center would be great, or an orthopedist. I would not recommend a podiatrist for ankle problem.

Even if the x-ray finds no fracture, I would continue to investigate the problem. Repeated sprains can lead to serious problems, at the very least you need PT to strengthen the ankle back up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
(male)

dawindsurfer HB User

Sorry to hear about your injury.

A broken bone with no dislocation will heal completely in 4-6 weeks, if kept immobilized.

Not having enough information about your injury (swelling? color - blue? location of the pain?) it is hard to make a call, even with the symptoms listed the best recommendation would be to see a doctor in person. Sounds to me like a bad sprain with dislocation, something moved out of place and prevented your ankle from healing completely.

Wish you the best of luck, for now keep it elevated, ice it if it swells up.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

Cassie24 HB User

To complicate things I actually sprained both ankles at the same time. The bottom step broke on our stairs and I went down on the right ankle first, twisted that really bad, then landed on and twisted the left one. I was in excruciating pain, I was barely able to walk at first, not putting any weight on the right one at first. I used the aircast for awhile. Stabilizing it felt better. Then I started wrapping it instead. So it's not been immobile. I've treated this like a typical sprain, when clearly it was not.

The right foot was dark purple all over the ankle inside and out and the toes. It was swollen bad for about a week probably. The main area of pain on that one is a small spot on the inner of the right ankle. It does kinda feel like maybe a bone was broke. I can narow the pain to one small spot, not like when I have sprained them and the whole ankle area felt sore. Because I have favored the left one so much, that one has also not heeled. The outside of that ankle is still sore. That one feels like the typical sprain pain that I have had in the past, but just isn't healing.

I'm definitely planning to go to the doctors. It's a matter of costs at this point. But I will be going soon. I'm sure I've made things worse by not going before now. Figures, the last two times I sprained my ankles I went to the ER right off and wasted a lot of money each time to find out there were no brakes. This time I don't go and I clearly should have.

Last edited by Cassie24; 08-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
(male)

dawindsurfer HB User
Unhappy Re: Broken ankle maybe?

Pain on the Inner side of the ankle is more indicative of a present or recently healed fracture then just a sprain. Considering you mentioned the toes being purple on both sides (I presume the foot was swollen at the toes) there is a suspicion of a dislocation around mid-foot.

On the bright side, you have a chance to pick a orthopedic surgeon that is probably going to be more experienced in treatment of foot injuries than an ER doctor. From my person experience, do not forget to ask about the Lisfrancs joint (mid-foot), sometimes docs get so preoccupied with ankles they forget about feet or vice versa.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
(female)

Cassie24 HB User

I saw the doctor today. He ordered an xray but he said he thinks it's a torn tendon on the inner ankle. He told me to rest it, wrap it and ice it. It could take 3 months to heal. That's it? After 7 weeks, if it's not broke, that's all they do? Is that normal if it is a torn tendon?

This was a general physician. The ortho doctor's office I called said I needed to get xrays before they would basically even see me.

Last edited by Cassie24; 08-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Closed Thread