It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Calf Cramps

Everytime I take a step I can feel my calf cramping up because my foot isn't moving/bending correctly. Does anyone else have this symptom or any ideas how to deal with this problem?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Calf Cramps

Stop experiencing all my side effects, Taape, just stop it already!

Yup, I get calf cramps. I've found that massaging the calf with downward strokes is very helpful, as is stretching. If your ankle is up to it, you might want to try a peroneal stretch as well as a "classic" calf stretch.

Classic calf stretch, sit on the floor, leg straight, then wrap a towel around your toes and pull them toward you. This stretches the big muscle in your calf, the gastrocnemius, and your achilles tendon.

However, if your cramps are on the outside of the calf, along the fibula, you might benefit from a peroneal stretch. It's the same at the calf stretch, except you also invert the ankle, turn it so the big toe is in and the little toe is out. Depending on your particular ankle problem, this stretch might not be right for you. In particular, if you have issues with your subtalar joint or major weakness in the ATFL. In any case, do it very carefully.

I've been having peroneal muscle spasms since shortly before my surgery in March. Walking normally has helped a lot. Then 2 days ago, completely at random, had calf cramps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Calf Cramps

Thank you so much for responding. When I was first diagnosed with PF my calf was not involved so I got scared that maybe I had a blood clot or something. Mind wandering you know.

Thanks for instructions on the stretches. I will do these. It's the outside of the calf that is bothering me the most. If I could walk normally (too much pain now) then I'm sure this wouldn't be such a problem.

I've been using this little device where you put your foot in it and it rocks back so you can stretch and you can bend your knees and stretch. But it wasn't getting at all the areas.

Isn't this PF a pain, literally.

Closed Thread