It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Staple removal

I have a pretty good tolerance to pain but I am getting all worked up at the thought of having the staples removed (tendon transfer and osteotomy) on Monday. Anyone with an experience to share?

Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

scribytoo HB User
Re: Staple removal

Exterior staples from surgery? I've had those out of two total knees and they can sting a bit but not too bad. Interior, I don't know yet. And I'll be having my staples out from my Triple on Tuesday so we're on a similar schedule if it's the surgical ones. I'm sure this will be a bit different from the knee because one of the great things about getting them out of the knees was being able to flex more...and I won't be able to this time.
Linda in SD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Did you need to increase your pain medication or get a shot of novacaine type medication to get exterior staples out? Did the skin bleed? My husband is getting his out this week and I was wondering what he should expect.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think it will be a breeze. be happy they are coming out. good luck!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
(female)

scribytoo HB User

I agree with debbie g. I don't remember anything more than a slight sting. No real pain. No bleeding. It will be a good thing. Minor discomfort if anything but no real pain.
Linda

Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Thanks for the responses. I feel better. I walked around with ruptured tendons in both feet but I am now worrying about staple removal. It is just that this, of course, is consuming my life right now. I will be a big girl and yes, be glad they are coming out! I should be switching casts also....it will be a big day out of the house!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Hurts,
How did the staples do? I had mine out today. I did find that some parts of the feet were more sensitive than my knees. I'm glad it's done, though. Glad it was somewhat brief, considering there were about twice as many staples as in a knee.
Hope it went well for you.
Linda in S.D.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

I have to get a staple out in my foot where I had a cystic area found during bunion surgery. It is a rather large staple. Was your removal painful? Kinda scared. Thanks for any input!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Well...33 staples out and 2 stitches where the screw was placed. I really did not want to post my experience because I felt like a baby but you asked...It was not enjoyable to say the least. My foot is so sore and sensitive already from the surgery and then to have that pinching and pulling. Oh I did not like it. Doc asked if I wanted to rest between the 20 on the one side before he did the 13 on the other....I said "NO hurry and get it over with!" I kind of get queasy from those things so I should not be an example. Then he manipulated the foot a bit for ROM and trying to get the foot in a 90 degree angle. So I went home sore. BUT I am glad the staples are our for sure....one more step towards recovery!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Did you have those staples on the outside of your foot? Why so many? What kind of surgery did you have? I had bunion surgery. I have 1 large staple in the first metatarsal (internally). Where you put out for the removal? Sounds like we had different procedures. If you did have the staple(s) taken out of the bone, how long before the bone filled in? I went to another podiatrist for a 2nd opinion and he said the hardware should be removed to increase my ROM. I am scared! Thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Well, after I had mine out, I was feeling like a dork for comparing it to the knees. The ones that ran along the top side of the foot were not at all fun. I jumped and fussed a bit. Kept talking to distract myself. I'm with you...not a fun experience and glad it's over.
Linda

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I am talking about removing INTERNAL staples. Used to fuse the bone together. Inside the foot. They want to remove some screws and the large staple.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Mine were external like stitches. I had tendon transfer and calcaneal osteotomy....yes different than you. Internal? Whoa...good luck.

Closed Thread