It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Ankle Surgery and Pain Medication

My husband had major ankle surgery for a shattered ankle with hardware. His doctor prescribed Norco and he has been taking 3 pills a day even though the prescription allowed 6 pills per day.

Anyone who took pain medication after ankle surgery that could tell me how long they needed to be on narcotic pain pills? My husband seems to report that the pain in the ankle isn't that bad but the effects of the narcotics are bothering him ~restless, tired, and sick to his stomach. Just wondering what the normal range of time to need strong pain medication might be as he wants to get off the pills.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery and Pain Medication

I am 1 week (plus 1 day) post op and I am still taking the Vicodin BUT I have been going longer and longer (time wise) between doses. I am trying to wean myself off it as I do not like it at all. But I have needed it this whole first week for the pain. Everyone is different I am sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

chufna1 HB User

I'm 7 weeks post-op, during the first 2 weeks I weened myself off Vicodin and haven't taken much for pain since.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I was on Percocet for probably the first six weeks then my doctor switched me to Lortab which is much milder but stronger than just Tylenol. Also, I took Phenergan for nausea along with pain meds and it made me feel much better. I only had to take 1/2 of the Phenergan to prevent nausea so it didn't make me too sleepy.

Lortab comes in different strengths so I was on the 10 mg at first then went to 7.5 and could break that in half and take along with a regular Tylenol.

It is helpful to be on some form of pain medication through the initial PT if he is going to have any. I experimented and found that I did much better in PT if I took something an hour beforehand. Foot surgery is very painful so he shouldn't feel bad for having to take pain medication. You heal better when not in pain.

good luck to both of you as I know it can be tough on the caretaker, too!

emmie

Old 09-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

the first few weeks were bad, needed the meds. but now on a as needed basis. if his pain is not too bad you could try just tylenol???? or ask for something less than what you have now, like tylenol 3. if he doesn't need it for pain, he doesn't have to take it.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for all the response. This gives us some idea of how long pain medicaton is probably necessary.

Closed Thread