It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User
Nerve cut (severed) during surgery

Anyone had this?...what am I to expect? Dr said that my nerve on right side of foot was severed on accident while taking out implant, cant feel smaller toes etc etc. Anyone have a clue what to expect? I love my doctor and told him it happens, no ones perfect. It is not like he did it intentionally.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: Nerve cut (severed) during surgery

Wow! What is the doc saying about this? Where do you go from here? I have had nerve entrapment but not a severed nerve.....is it painful?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User

Doesn't hurt yet, but it was only yesterday. I am not sure what happens and the outcome is of the feeling of this kind of thing. I will be seeing my doctor on Monday so I'm sure he will update me and let me know what it means but I'm kinda curious right now. No feeling on top of my foot but maybe due to the block? What exactly was your problem?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel and had surgery to release the nerve. I did not have as much numbness as pain/burning/tingling. Right now I am recovering from tendon transfer/osteotomy surgery and I am having nerve issues. I have read here that this is normal and will improve. Some here seem to have numbness etc. for months after foot surgery. Have you searched the web for any answers?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User

I think mine will not repair or improve, he said it was severed. Time will not make it repair itself. Just thought someone may have similar situation and was wanting some insight.

I have tried finding stuff on net to no avail.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Rachel,
After my first PTTD surgery, I had numbness in my last two toes. The sural nerve is one that runs along the outer edge of the outside of the foot, so for a lot of the osteotomies, they have to move it. They can easily become irritated due to the trauma. The peroneal nerve runs next to the sural nerve, but it's over toward the middle of the foot...goes to the second to last toe, where I also had numbness/tingling, and that stumped the dr because he didn't go anywhere near that nerve in surgery. The nerves regenerate after trauma, but only at 1 mm per day! It can take up to 2 years for full sensation to come back after that.

But in the case of a severed nerve, I'd think you just won't have feeling in that pinky toe anymore. In the big picture, that's probably pretty minor. Just have to keep an eye on that pinky toe if you don't have sensation. You wouldn't know if you hurt it, cut it, etc. How is your foot doing after getting the implant out? I bet you're getting excited that an end is in sight, when you can work and do "normal" things once again!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User

Well it's not just my pinky toe it's the whole top of my foot and 3 smallest toes. Husband said that doc said it would never come back.

As for getting out the implant it's awesome and not being able to feel (for most part) due to the nerve it feels perdy good.

Thanks for the reply's.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

It is pretty generous of you to allow your doctor to cause you to become disabled in some way without him having to compensate you for what is to come. So for the rest of your life you will have to deal with this and you are the one that suffers and it is your money that has to be spent to deal with it. The doctor made a mistake on your body but with that mistake he must pay for it....that is why he has insurance...he now has given you a preexisting condition and future insurance companies may not pay for future treatment. Without feeling you may injure that area without ever knowing it...you will always have to keep an eye on footwear and perhaps buy expensive specialty shoes to accommodate numbness. I'm sorry but you have no idea what is to come for you and your foot...you have no idea what medical condition is going to develop because of this accident. If you were to develop a diabetic condition this little innocent injury my cause you to loose your foot because of complications. If you were to accidentally injured a friend's foot for the rest of their life you can bet you will have to compensate them...and even though your doctor is a nice person is he offering to treat you for the rest of your life? think about it...I would at least consult a lawyer.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i would think about this situation, also. be careful.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

It wouldn't hurt to go see a Neuroligist. They specialize in nerves and should be able to tell you whats going on. If he confirms that the nerve damage is from the severed nerve you have something to present a lawyer. You need to get a copy of your recent visits to this doctor and your surgery report. You'll be suprised what is in it. I wish you the best and hope that its not a severed nerve.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User

Quick update.

Well it is completely severed, and has started hurting. I went out to see my horses the other day, hung out with them all day (did not ride), I was told to try and stand and walk a bit more. That night when I got home it took me about 2 hours to fall asleep cause it felt like someone was pulling my toenails out with pliers, I must say it hurt very bad. It felt "ok" not 100% out at the pasture, had to have a lot of help with the horses could not do it myself with the pain but I did take 2 lortab before I went so it was semi bearable.

Dr. prescribed me some meds called Lyrica and after reading the side affects I am not sure I want to take those. *anyone?*

I go to see my doctor on Thursday the 9th, might have to be sooner though. I hate bringing stuff up to him cause I feel bad for him, he is extremely disappointed in himself. He is a great Doctor.

Wish I had someone to talk to that has been through this before, or something similar.

Rachel

Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
(female)

smile2006 HB User

So sorry to hear this. Will the pain subside over time? Do you have the same degree of numbness you described earlier? Is it possible over time that you might be able to forget about or work around the numbness? I ask this because I had corrective jaw surgery that left me with some numbness in part of my lower lip. Over time I find I really don't notice this anymore unless I really think about it. This must be hard a hard situation because you like your doctor, however, he also has a professional responsibility to help you through all this and find a good outcome/solution in the end.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
(female)

Rachel1972 HB User

We are trying to see if the pain will subside, hopefully, but right now it's only partially less painful on pain meds, although he just gave me a new prescript tonight called amatriptoline, we will see if it helps. I still have the same numbness, but it is strange cause if you touch that part of my foot it hurts..can't feel that area but it hurts, odd. If I touch my incision area it sends a strange electrical shock feeling down to my toes.

My Doctor is very supportive and very helpful I believe he would never leave me hanging ever. He always tells me how bad he feels.

On a good note, the implant pain is totally gone! Wow that part feels so good.

Smile2006 do you have any pain where your nerve was cut?

Has anyone ever taken amatriptoline, and if so did it help you? I read it has way less side effects than the one he originally prescribed which I never filled cause of the side effects (Lyrica).

Rachel

Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
(female)

lizf88 HB User

Hi I'm in the Uk but know a little about Amitriptyline and would say it's the best one to take and is supposed to be excellent for neuropathic pain, I know people who use it and say it's brilliant. (bear in mind that any side effects usually die down after a few weeks) It can make you very drowsy though, (take at night at first) good luck.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #15
(female)

smile2006 HB User

Hi Rachel- I didn't actually have a nerve cut just damaged a bit. There is huge nerve in the lower jaw. When they make the bone cut this nerve is actually sort of moved about as they reposition the jaw and secure it with plates and screws. It is not unusal at all in this surgery to have a little nerve damage. Like I said, it's not too bad at this point. It did take just over a year for the left side of my lower lip to regain total sensation. Nerves really do take a long time to heal! Take care and good luck with everything.

Closed Thread