It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

Tinahancocks HB User
exercises to do after fractured heel

Hi
I fractured my heel 6 weeks ago and narrowly just escaped without having to have surgery. The fracture has gone into the subtalor joint. I have had my plaster cast removed today and my consultant told me to only put a very small amount of weight on it. He hasn't advised me to do any exercises but everywhere I have read it states the importance of doing physio exercises. can anyone please advise me of any exercises

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

patw27 HB User
Smile Re: exercises to do after fractured heel

Hi,
I fractured my heel 7 months ago and did not have surgery either but be careful and check with your doctor before starting PT. I say this because I was in NWB cast for 12 weeks and was told by the doctor that this is the normal NWB time for non surgery, as you have only been NWB for 6 weeks you may need to take care .Of course you may also be very lucky with your improvement but best to ask to make sure.

All the best wishes to you

Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

Tinahancocks HB User
Re: exercises to do after fractured heel

Hi Pat, Thanks for the advise. My consultant was in two minds about leaving the cast on but he decided to give it a go and see how I get on. I must admit it is somewhat painful, swollen and still bruised. How is for you can you put full weight on your heel now and do you walk with a limp.
thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Tina,
Everyone's recovery is different, I had a 3mm displacement of the heel and they wanted to operate but I refused as I was on the other side of the world from UK, in Australia and my mother, who lives with me, was in respite care until I got home.
When I got back home they kept me in NWB cast for 3 months then partial WB for next 6 weeks then FWB as tolerated.
It is also taking me longer as I am 61 yrs. old and as you get older you have less calcium in your bones.
I am now doing very well, most swelling gone,nearly all pain gone except that at the moment heel under foot sore when I walk but that is probably because I am still limping and favouring bad foot, but all in all I am very happy.

Don't worry if you find that you feel good one day and the next day something else starts to hurt, that is normal. It really worried me but after finding this site I was told by others that the heelies saying is "1 step forward 2 steps back", Don't try to go too quickly, my PT told me that you must think of your progress as climbing a steep hill and if you go too quickly you slide back down.
You will probably get very depressed and frustrated but that is normal too, we all go through it.If you had told me even 1 month ago that I would be going on my own to my local swimming pool I would have thought you mad, but that is what I have done this week.

My doctors have told me that it can take up to 1 year to heal completely, but my PT says 1 year to 18 months, although others on this site have been walking without aid within a few months, hopefully you will be one of the fortunate ones, but just remember, you will get there.

Pat

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Tina,
Forget to say that a lot of the pain doesn't come from the heel. once the fracture had healed but from the nerves and tendons where you might feel some burning and even an involuntary twitch when the nerves start kicking in again, all quite normal and when you are able to do stretching exercises they soon improve.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
(male)

JayC888 HB User

Hi Tina,

I had a similiar non-displaced fractured heel that didn't require surgery 9 weeks ago. For the 1st 8 weeks i wasn't allow any weight bearing on the right foot. I went to my doc for a x-ray 2 weeks ago and starting PT for abt. a week and a half. When i was allowed to have partial weight bearing my foot would swell every time i walk or don't have it elevate. My PT told me that's because all the water has gone to the bad foot and not able to pump upward. (there is a name for it but i forgot) She gave me a real painful foot massage and told me to move my foot back and forth (like driving) whenever i have it elevate. I been doing that since and the swelling has subsided.

Currently i am still walking with both crutches and able to walk with 1 crutch with minor pain for 10-15 steps at a time. Like what Pat said, everyone heal differently and i too have good and bad days. Just take it 1 day at a time, we will come out of it in no time

Jay

Closed Thread