It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Plantar Faciitis knot or muscle spasm?

I've got what feels like a knot on the bottom of my foot. It's off to the other edge and about half way between my heel and my toes. It's sore but mostly it feels like I'm walking on a knot.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this before? I don't know whether the plantar faciitis is knotted up or I've got muscle spasms from walking different due to the pain on the bottom of my feet. Would a plantar faciitis tear knot up like this?

If anyone can relate please post, thanks

Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Plantar Faciitis knot or muscle spasm?

Hi Taape, I have Plantar Fibromatosis which is the formation of nodules on the plantar fascia and much different from plantar fasciitis. I hope this is not what you have! In some people it grows slowly. (Although when I say to ANYONE, including most doctors, that I have plantar fibromatosis, they normally say. "Oh yeah, I know plantar fasciitis".

It is also called Ledderhose Disease and is related to Dupuytren's Contracture in the hands. You can check it out and let me know if you think this may be what you have. If you want any more information, just let me know. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-04-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you writing me back I'm not sure if I have that or not. I do have some other questions. Did you have surgery for this? Could you see a bump actually sticking out from the bottom of your foot?

I have plantar faciitis and recently had a cortisone injection targeted at where the heel meets the arch. It seemed like this knot or whatever it is was bigger at the time and stretched across my foot. Since the injection it's smaller but still partly there. Do you think that cortisone would have effected this knot like thing and made it smaller and now it's coming back as the cortisone is wearing off?

I've had other tumors in my body so I really need to get this checked out. Would they do an ultrasound possibly?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Wink Re: Plantar Faciitis knot or muscle spasm?

I can only tell you what I know and each person and their doctor is different. I first noticed my first nodule about 17 months ago. I now have 3 on my left foot and two small and I huge on my right foot. I can feel them in any shoes with arch supports. I have had 3 cortisone shots in the bigger one on the left foot. They grow and stop growing as they please. The cortisone can sometimes slow the growth...sometimes! I had mine diagnosed clinically (by my doctor) but then he also ordered an MRI which gave the definitive diagnosis with even the measurements of the nodules. I think one was 9mmx9mmx5mm and the rest were similar on the left foot. I don't have the MRI in front of me. I believe they can also be confirmed by ultrasound. Some doctors will surgically remove them but be warned. They have a HIGH regrowth rate and if they regrow they will come back bigger and faster (not meaning to scare you). My doctor has seen that all too often. He says he will not remove mine unless I get to the point that I want my foot amputated because when he does remove it he will have to remove my entire plantar fascia and I will be left with only nerves and bones! If you find out that you have this...PLEASE...do research on it and do not just let anyone try to remove it. I also get massage weekly on my feet and although it is very sore, it seems to have slowed down the growth.

These tumors are benign!!! I can see them sticking out from under the skin sort of like a peanut that someone implanted on the left foot but I cannot see the ones on the right. I can just feel them. The left does not hurt, only the right hurts! Hoppy

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for filling me in about this. I can't see anything sticking out of the skin. I hope I don't have tumors but I will go get it checked out. The podiatrist I have been going to just decided in a moment that I need plantar faciitis surgery without doing any diagnostics. I know better than that. I could have both problems but it's irresponsible not to correctly diagnose the problem.

I'll let you know what I find out. Does putting weight on your foot have any bearing on how fast these grow? I'm glad you mentioned massage as I get massage weekly anyways which seems to help alot. I hope your's settles down.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Taape, I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. When you asked if I could see the nodules....they do not stick out through the skin. It looks like something is underneath the skin if that makes sense and they are more visible if I stretch my foot as in bring the toes up (dorsiflex). If you do a search for Plantar fibromatosis you can find pictures. I hope this helps and please let me know what you find out. Hoppy

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. I did understand what you meant. I can't see anything that looks like this thing is underneath. I'm going to ask physical therapy next week since I can't get into the doctor for awhile. I did see pictures on line too.

Closed Thread