It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Subtalar Joint Fusion

Hello All,

I am facing a possible subtalar joint fusion and have some questions regarding the procedure and recovery.

For example, is the joint fused through internal or external fixation? Is the procedure done inpatient or outpatient? What is the success rate?

About the recovery, how long do you have to be non weight bearing? How much pain is there right after the surgery and approximately when does it begin to decrease?

I would love to hear from someone who has gone through the experience. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

scary007 HB User
Re: Subtalar Joint Fusion

Hello, my name is Mary, I saw your post and as this is my first visit to the forum, I am asking if you had your subtalar fusion.

I was involved in a serious car accident December 07 and crushed my left foot amongst many other injuries. Touch and go that I kept my foot. Anyway after a lot of operations and constant visits to hospital it looks like I will have to have a subtalar and talonvicular fusion after Christmas.

I was wondering what to expect, if your fusion did any good and what your recovery time was like. Anything really that will give me some insight into what to expect.

Bit scared really that I might lose the movement I have at moment and end up in wheelchair.. Thank you

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Hi Mary and Welcome!

It is funny you replied now because I was just thinking the other day about starting a new post asking for advice thinking maybe there would be somebody new to talk with about it.....

Anyway, no I have not had the subtalar fusion yet, but I am scheduled for it next month. The dr says it should relieve all of my pain which is a huge relief. As far as the mobility or range of motion goes, I'm not really afraid of what I will lose because honestly, there isn't much there to lose.

If you click on my name to the left of this post, you can search all of my other posts. I have dealt with a total of 8 surgeries in the last 8 years after falling on the ice and breaking my ankle. You may find good information in my story that can help you with your experience.

Dealing with accidents, life-changing events, and chronic pain can make life difficult at times. I come to these boards, so I can remember I am not alone and to learn from others.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I hope you get some knowledge, information and comfort from coming here.

Step

Old 05-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

Mybirds HB User
Smile Re: Subtalar Joint Fusion

Hi, I am scheduled for a subtalar fusion on June 1st. I have had so many problems with my foot since I fell a broke a bone. I had my tendons torn which was very painful. I am not concerned about being able to move my foot after. I have so much pain and I am told I should be almost painfree after healing from this surgery. Can some one tell me what to expect after surgery and the recovery.

Thanks so much

Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

Pegret HB User

While your issue is not mine, I posted my list of questions I took to the surgeon before scheduling my surgery. It might help. I understand if you click on my name, it should give you my posts...but I have never tried it. Anyway, I am having a Triple Arthrodesis (plus other stuff) next Wednesday.
Peg

Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had my subtalar fusion 12/1/08. I was in a lot of pain for the first 3-4 days. Please do not be afraid to take the pain meds. That is what they are for.

I laid on the couch for 4 weeks before going back to work. The more you keep your foot elevated above your heart the more you keep the swelling under control which definitely helps.

My issue now is that the screws the dr put through my heel cause me a lot of pain when I walk. However, the dr says he cannot take them out because the fusion is not solid enough. I see him at the end of next month and hopefully it will be good enough by then.

Please, feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I would be happy to help!

Step

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
(male)

IowaGuy1959 HB User

Step by step--first of all, I just had my subtalar fusion on 5/29/09, and I'll agree, thank God for Percoset and Vicatin!!. I am a little confused, 4 weeks off? My doc told me it would be a min. of 8 before I could even get behind a desk.
As for the screws, he told me IF they cause me problems, it would be a year before they could be taken out.
Anyway, I'm out of the hospital for just 3 days, and this laying around with my fott above my heart all the time is already getting old.
Best of luck

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User

I had subtalor fusion with bone graft (cadaver) 2-2-2009 am in a walking boot now had
partial cast for 18 days then cast for 11 weeks now in walking boot going on 4 weeks so far so good no more crutches just a little pain when i stand for to long next doc appt is june 12 hopefully i will beable to start wearing a shoe have not had to take pain meds since about end of march so far so good will know more when i get out of boot. get some pain around inside of ankle feels like tendons popping into place really hurts sometimes but only for a couple minutes then it goes as fast as it comes. just follow doctors orders when he says no wb that means no wb. otherwise you will have problems not fun to go through again.

Closed Thread