It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

deb4ARG HB User
peroneal nerve damage - need afo/shoe help

Had surgery in 2004 for removal of a ganglion cyst that damaged my peroneal nerve causing a complete foot drop. Surgery was successful and after one year of paralysis I got movement back and recovered to the point of getting out of my afo. After 5 years, the ganglion is growing back at the fibular head and I am noticing weakness in dorsiflexion and have had to wear my leg brace again. I am a fit, attractive, energetic woman and for the life of me cannot find a comfortable afo and attractive shoes (other than a sneaker) to fit my brace. I am having a custom brace made and have looked all over the internet for an attractive afo with no luck. If anyone has advice for an afo that looks decent and shoes, even sandals that can be worn with an afo, I will be grateful for the advice. I have a followup MRI/EMG to determine the growth of the cyst and may yet again see my nuerosurgeon in Phili to do yet another surgery which I would like to avoid if possible. I really need help finding an afo that can be worn with regular shoes. From what I have seen and researched....it's next to impossible. Please help!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
(female)

Shawnee64 HB User
Re: peroneal nerve damage - need afo/shoe help

Hi, unfortunately I haven't been able to find an attractive AFO. I've been wearing them for over 20 years due to incomplete paralysis. I was in an auto accident and broke my back.....spinal cord injury. I'm blessed that I'm walking. Through the years, I've found that wearing dress boots works for me. I've been able to find them with a low heal and they work great for me. Several years ago I worked with an orthotist to try and design something better and unfortunately came up with pretty much the same thing that is out there. I strongly recommend getting a prescription to work with an orthotist if you haven't already. I've worked with them since day one and that's definitely the route to go. I've got an appointment with mine today because I'm having some difficulty with my new AFOs. I'm a very active person and tend to break them. I know there are more active people out there who where the AFO so having one break is not an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Have you tried regular Oxfords? Or Mary Janes? They do make such things for women, though you have to look hard. Bates makes lovely oxfords for military dress uniforms.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

deb4ARG HB User

I have looked extensively for comfortable shoes and Eastland and Ecco have really worked out well for me (although expensive!). My custom AFO fits perfectly in both of these shoes. Of course it is winter in the Northeast and noone even knows that I am wearing an AFO. But during the spring and summer, finding sandals will be a much greater challenge and any and all advice is still very much appreciated!

Closed Thread