It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

lourash HB User
cheilectomy and tarsal tunnel surgery????

Hi , my hubby is scheduled for tarsal tunnel surgery and a chileictomy on his big toe of his right foot.

I guess they make the incision further back on the foot for the tarsal tunnel release. But I am not sure what how much time he will have to have off work or before he puts weight on the foot. He has to wear steel toe boots and is a welder. Work said they only find him a desk job while he recovers if its work related surgery. The doc says it is not from standing that he has tarsal tunnel.

So , my big questions are how long before he can start putting a little weight on it?? How long were you off work ?? And how painful is the tarsal tunel release and the cheilectomy?? Also , how much did it cost for the surgery???

I am sure it is not cheap but we have almost hit his out of pocket for the year only a few hundred to go. If he waits until after the first of the year , it will be $ 2500.00 out of pocket. OUCH , we can't really afford the surgery , but the doc said if he waits he will have to fuse the joint and that surgery is harder to do. He also says that it will be more painful and lots longer off work. He said that he may loose flexibility in that joint if they have to fuse it. He had been running again and wants to start 5k's so I just want to be sure he can run ok after he gets healed up.

How many of you had the surgery for both problems at the same time and did many of you have the fusion or just the cheilectomy?? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: cheilectomy and tarsal tunnel surgery????

I had tarsal tunnel surgery about 7 years ago. My incision is about 5-6 inches long on the inside of my ankle. I had day surgery and I was walking on it (with a boot) at 3 weeks post op. The first 2 weeks post op, I could not bear weight on it at all. I had to keep my foot elevated and I did have pain meds but did not need to take them more than about a week. My problem was structural. My ankle rolls inward (pronates) and I have flat feet (just had a different surgery on the same foot). The nerves were entrapped because of the pronation. I had severe pain before the surgery and it never was pain free after the surgery BUT it was much better. Because I have the structural issues, it was sort of a worhtless procedure (I have now learned).

So you say your husband's TT is not caused by standing, what is it caused by? I do not know the cost of the surgery (mine was years ago anyway) and my insurance covered it...thank goodness. I don't know anything about the other procedure you mentioned.

Closed Thread