It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

Elin68 HB User
Lapidus bunionectomy, when does post-op swelling begin to decrease?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

PamK84 HB User
Smile Re: Lapidus bunionectomy, when does post-op swelling begin to decrease?

There is another message board out here for Bunionectomy. I would check that one out. It looks like swelling is a long term thing. From 3 months up to a year. I am 3 weeks out and still have swelling and some pain. It got much better once the pins were removed. The swelling comes on when i am up for to long. Just need to elevate and ice it as much as you can. Still not back to work either. I am hoping for next week or after Thanksgiving. Hope all goes well for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

melissa1873 HB User
Re: Lapidus bunionectomy, when does post-op swelling begin to decrease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elin68 View Post
I found alot of my questions were answered by looking at all the other posts on bunionectomies. I had a lapidus procedure a week ago...of course I still have swelling so I cant answer your question. However the other person that posted a reply to your question is quite consistent with what I've read. (up to a year) How long ago did you have your surgery? I had pain for a total of a day or two. I cant believe how little pain I've experienced and I think my doctor is surprised too. My threshold for pain is not high...it used to be but I dont think it is anymore. This surgery makes me think that maybe I still do have a high threshold.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Elin - I had my second Lapidus bunionectomy Oct 8th (6 weeks ago today YEAH). My swelling right now isn't so bad (had my other foot done 2 years ago). Think the swelling this time is less than last time although my big toe and second toe (which was shortened) still swell when I have my foot down too much. When I first get up in the morning it looks good.

The first time around I found that the compression sock really helped a lot once I was out of the cam boot. I did get some residual swelling for over a year but I think some of that was because the internal pin was right at my instep and all my shoes seemed to go right across it. Also the numbness lasted for a long time.

Hope you are doing well. Come here any time to ask any questions or just to vent - love to have you around.

Mary in NY

Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

PamK84 HB User

Hi, what type of a compression sock and when could you start using it. I am 3 weeks out and just in a surgical shoe. I have alot of pain and swelling later in the day and could really use some suggestions on what could help. I know it takes awhile from reading all these messages, but any help would be appreciated. I feel like i can't do much of anything at all. Getting very discouraged. Any suggetions? I had the osteotomy type bunionectomy so was able to bear weight on it.

Thanks, Pam

Last edited by PamK84; 11-20-2008 at 05:45 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

swelling can last up to a year. it can go on even longer. 3 months will be a major improvement.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

To PamK - when do you go back to your doctor? That's the person I would ask or at least call the office and check with them. I didn't start using the compression sock until I was 8 weeks out but that's because I was in a cam boot until then and couldn't weight bear.

Good luck - things get better with time.

Mary

The Following User Says Thank You to RightFootMary For This Useful Post:
Annie7679 (09-10-2011)
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
(female)

PamK84 HB User

I will thanks. I just feel like there is something not quite right. After 3 1/2 weeks the swelling at night gets so bad. My foot gets tight and hot and is so uncomfortable. Even with pain meds. I am elevating and icing regularly and it just doesn't seem to be going as i thought it would. I just want to go to bed and fall asleep. I am suppose to go back to work next week and don't know how that is going to go. Just trying to take it one day at a time.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

when you say your swelling/hotness gets bad at night do you mean in bed or before bed after a long day? I'm asking (it seems silly) but I feel pretty good throughout the day but when I go to bed and prop my foot up it hurts like mad for several hours and the pain meds barely touch it! I've always been a bit odd though

Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
(female)

PamK84 HB User

Later at night and when I first go to bed. I talked to my doctor and he said it has to do with bad circulation. He had me get a teds medium compression stocking (knee high) it helps quite a bit. I wear it during the day and take it off shortly after I go to bed. So there is still some pain then. He also wants me to start doing some therapy, leg lifts and stretches, ankle rolls and maybe ride a stationary bike a few minutes a day as tolerated. The bike made it throb so I am going with the stretches for now. He may want to do regular PT if I don't improve. How long ago did you have your surgery 2 1/2 weeks? I am discouraged and a little depressed over this. Never expected to be out of commission for so long. Are you back to work yet?

Last edited by PamK84; 11-23-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

My surgery was Nov 12th. I go back to work this Friday. I work 12 hour shifts so I may try and just do 8 hours a day for a week or so. Did I read that you are 3.5 weeks post op and you're doing stationary bike? I'm going by memory cuz I'm too lazy to go back and check whilst I'm writing this
I have had 3 procedures done and 4 screws in my foot and was told I'm NWB for 6-8 weeks. Its odd to me that I've read several people who had lapidus and are partial weight bearing. Have a great day

The following user gives a hug of support to melissa1873:
Annie7679 (09-10-2011)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
(female)

tesgq HB User
post-op update bunionectomy surgery dtd 11/12/08

13th day (nov.24)- still swelling, occasional pain during the day and some throbbing feeling at night. took off the splint coz it puts compression on my foot at night and i think it adds to the swelling because of compression. need to go back to work tomorrow, will go the doctor today and I decided to have the cast for protection, i do not know how inconvenient this will be but i will just go ahead and follow doctor's orders. i feel that it is improving as far as pain is concern. swelling aggravates if you are up or sitting down mostly during the day. more on my updates later on. thanks again for all the posts.....tes

Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
(female)

PamK84 HB User

I had the osteotomy type surgery and could weight bear with a surgical shoe after. I am doing better. They are having me wear compression socks during the day and a lighter one at night. It really helps with the pain as it keeps the swelling down. Can be a little uncomfortable at times but better each day. Your surgery was much more involved than mine. I just had bad circulation that caused the swelling and the increase in pain. Switched to a vicodin at night which nocks me out so I can at least sleep. Still icing and elevating as much as possible. Trying to get back to normal as much as I can. Keeping my mind busy helps. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
(female)

tesgq HB User
Re: post-op update bunionectomy surgery dtd 11/12/08

14th day - first day on cast and first day back to work. as it is, i am having a tough time with it, did not get much sleep. weighs 2lbs maybe. very hard to maneuver, my patience is running out and i feel that i can recuperate without this. the doctor gave me an option but you always think that doctors know better. so, i will see how long i can battle having it on.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
(female)

bec64 HB User

In response to Melissa, I had my surgery on 11-11 and had a lapidus along with a TMT fusion so it sounds like you and I are in a similar place. I have three screws and the doctor explained that part of the reason for the non weight bearing was because the screws don't have the strength to carry the body weight and they would eventually break if they were walked on. That is why the protocol is nwb so healing can occur and the bone can form and carry the weight. Melissa and Tess, I don't envy you having to go back to work. I am able to do some work from home and still feel best on my back with my leg up. I am still tired from my trip to the doctor on Monday. My swelling is down, but I am certainly not 100% comfortable, but managed the day only with Tylenol mostly for pain around the incisions, but I did wake up at 1:00 am, so Pam how many mgs of Vicoden do you take to sleep, one 5-500 mg certainly did not work for me. Regarding the exercise, I was told I could move my ankle a very little bit when I took a shower, the one time I am allowed out of the boot so I won't be riding a bike anytime soon, but I am jealous of Pam. I am getting some exercise using the roll-about. It certainly helps to read your posts.

Closed Thread