It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
(male)

fccc10s HB User
split posterior tibial tendon

Is surgery needed for a split posterior tibial tendon

Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: split posterior tibial tendon

Yes, surgery would be required for this. The surgery would most likely include a tendon transfer (usually FDL) to replace the PTT. Some surgeons will just repair the PTT, but as most PTT tears/degeneration is due to flatfoot/pronation, a repair usually will not hold.

They often include an osteotomy to stabilize the foot and regain some arch. I had the sliding osteotomy where my heel was cut off and slid over (it was 4 or 6 mm, can't remember). It all depends on the structural problems, if any, in your foot.

What caused your tear? Do you have flat feet? How was your tear diagnosed? What did your doctor say?

There is lots of good information on this site. You can do a search under PTT and find out most anything. If you have a particular question that I can help you with I would be happy to. My tear was due to Adult Acquired Flatfoot. My other foot is slowly following the same course. I'm trying to hold it off with orthotics.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

fccc10s is you tendon torn or ruptured? I had a ruptured (total split) posterior tendon and I was in so much pain.... so how are you doing? Did you have an MRI?

Emmie54 has done a great job of describing the surgery for this. You can learn so much here.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi
I have had the PTT lengthened and relengthened (as well as the FDL and Achilles). When my ortho went in the last time for exploratory surgery on my ankle, he noticed that the original FDL lengthening had retracted 5 cmm since the original, which was 3 years prior. I am not sure what else I can have done now in that area. He was surprised by what he found.

I've had my PTT start to tighten again as well as my FDL, causing my apparent case of claw toes. My toes were fused in 2001 and tend to claw when my FDL tightens.

I am curious now about the split PTT. My ATT was split in my original surgery, and I had a 1st MT dorsiflexion osteotomy and a calcaneal heel slide. In January of 2008, I had a bunion removed and MTP fusion. Was told I now have Hallux Rigidus.

I am wondering if the PTT is a better course for me given my tendency for contractures. What is the recovery like for this? What is involved?

Cheers
Prisc1125

Last edited by prisc1125; 11-30-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: formatting

Closed Thread