It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

marybn HB User
15 days post PTTD surgery

I had Double calcaneal osteotomy, allograft flexor and tendon transfer surgery 15 days ago. I had my post op appointment where xrays and foot looked very good. I also had the hard cast applied, but in the last two days I have been getting cramps in my shin and ankle area anyone else have this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: 15 days post PTTD surgery

Good to hear from you! As far as the cramping....I think it's normal. I had twitches and cramps and tingling and burning and......oh that's right we are talking about you now! It's just all coming back to me sorry! I had some horrible charly horse type cramps in my foot and leg post surgery. How does the cast feel?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I had horrible charley horse pain, too. It was like it would start with a foot spasm and would travel up my leg ending in a big ball in my calf. I know some of that is normal but if you have a lot of it, it may have to do with the position of your foot in the cast. Don't be afraid to ask for a cast change if you feel it's way too uncomfortable. I had several!

Keep us posted as to how you are doing and ask anything you think we could help you with. There are several PTT veterans on here!

emmie

Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

marybn HB User

I am counting the days till the cast comes off already. It seems like some part of my foot is always feeling irratated, I know it will get better. I just need to get out!!!!!! How did you all get around when you can put no weight on your foot. I have a scooter and crutches I am just so afraid I am going to slip on the snow and end up laying face down in a parking lot. I would like to return to work a couple hours a day but it involves standing too much.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

andrea121 HB User

Yes the snow and ice in the winter time can be a challenge. I never had the scooter thing so I dont know how well that works. You have to be pretty careful with crutches on ice, I dont know how many times i wiped out. I always wished that cruches could have some for of spikes on the bottom for the snow and ice in the wisconsin winters.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
(female)

andrea121 HB User

Yes the snow and ice in the winter time can be a challenge. I never had the scooter thing so I dont know how well that works. You have to be pretty careful with crutches on ice, I dont know how many times i wiped out. I always wished that cruches could have some form of spikes on the bottom for the snow and ice in the wisconsin winters.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
(female)

marybn HB User

I am good with the knee scooter at home but it is alot like a shopping cart in the snow. I am terrible on crutches always wanting to put my foot down for balance, I will figure out something to get out.
Does anyone still take any pain medication after two weeks? And if so what? I don't know if it is so much pain as just discomfort. Hurts2Walk wrote exactly everything I feel the like burning sensation, which is the most constant.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I found that having a wheelchair was a godsend. It enabled me to be able to go to the mall (with hubby pushing, of course!) and actually shop or just sight see, which would have been impossible for me to do comfortably on crutches. Even just a trip to Walmart was such a chore without the wheelchair. I also used it at home to do laundry - I could pile things in my lap and then put them up all by myself! It's the little things that can make you feel somewhat normal. :=)

Re pain meds: I was on the "hard stuff" for the first six weeks. Then they switched me to Lortab which I took as needed after that. Don't worry about the meds. As long as you are taking them for pain, and as directed, you won't have a problem. Studies have shown that you actually heal better when not in pain. And once you begin PT, they help greatly with being able to do the PT exercises.

emmie

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
(female)

marybn HB User

I just returned from the grocery store. The first time I have been out besides the doctor appt. since surgery. I used the knee scooter, which worked out good. Now I am more confident in getting out, it is just that first time. Tommorrow I am going to go to the Preschool (I use to be a Partner, but sold my share last year) and make 20 mini gingerbread houses, an annual event, I get to sit the whole time so that should be fun.

My doctor told me to use over the counter pain medication, but I may call him. The worse time is in evening and night after a day of trying to do things. I have a hard time sleeping with the cast on. I am trying to tough it out.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

marybn these days are hard to get through. There are so many pains and they can change daily! It is challenging to say the least! I agree with emmie about the wheelchair...but I just used it at home. It made life so much easier around the house. I used crutches when I went out and about....which wasn't too often. Some of us compared stories about the electric "rides" at stores like Target and Walmart. I found going out to be too much hassle most of the time BUT I did not have the scooter. I may invest in one for the next foot surgery...it sounds great! As far as pain meds...I did not take them past 2 weeks because I did not care for them. I went to 4 advil and that worked fine (most of the time). Now that I have returned to work I am really taking the advil....and it is doing a number on my stomach no doubt. Hang in there!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just a note about the Advil... my surgeon said no anti-inflammatories until after the bone had fused. So you may want to check on that. Some doctors don't seem to have a problem with it but there are studies out there that show it can impede bone healing. Again, not all doctors subscribe to that theory, so you may want to check with yours.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
(female)

marybn HB User

I agree about not liking the stronger pain medication, it makes me useless. I guess I will be sticking to just taking Tylenol. I know before surgery the doctor told me not to take Motrin or Advil, but I could take Tylenol, so I have that here.
I just rented my knee scooter from a medical supply place, otherwise I think it cost $300 - 400, or more.
How long did you all have the hard cast on? My is suppose to come off Jan 5, but I was thinking maybe I could have it taken off Dec 30 to keep it in this insurance year. It will be on four weeks on Dec 30th.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mine was on for four weeks.

Closed Thread