It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

graystone23 HB User
peroneal tendon surgery and recovery time

Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
(female)

geyersa HB User
Re: peroneal tendon surgery and recovery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone23 View Post
i had peroneal tendon surgery july 7th, had to leave for college august 24th. on august 24th, my ankle was still really really swolen and i didn't have full use of my ankle (couldn't run, walking was limited). my ankle looked normal around november (no swelling at all).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

alabamajack HB User

What type of surgery did you have on your peroneal tendon? Did you have physical therapy? How long were you in a cast/boot, etc?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
(female)

geyersa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamajack View Post
What type of surgery did you have on your peroneal tendon? Did you have physical therapy? How long were you in a cast/boot, etc?
I had torn the tendon completely on the outside of my left ankle, the doctor also removed a lot of muscle around it and deepened a grove in my bone so they would stay in place. I started physical therapy two weeks before i left for college because that was when i could keep my foot below heart level without it hurting. In two weeks i was walking without crutches but not very fast. I was in a cast for a month/boot for 1 week, but my physical therapist was determined to get me out of it so i used it rarely. The surgery was wasn't bad but they did not prepare me for the pain/aftermath that i would go through for the next 2 months.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

alabamajack HB User

So now is your ankle like it wasbefore you tore your tendon...flexibility, strength?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
(female)

kat1122 HB User

I had this surgery on November 21. I had my two peroneal tendon's fused together. I am still in PT and still experiencing quite a bit of swelling by about half way through the day. (No swelling when I wake up in the morning but walking on it causes it to swell up within a few hours). My flexibility is probably about 80% of what it used to be. I can still feel it pulling when I turn my foot certain directions and I haven't tried to run on it yet. I do ride a stationary bike at PT.

I agree with the below. I was not prepared for the pain and recovery time afterwards at all. I was off work for 5 weeks until I was allowed to take the boot off and start PT (Right foot so I couldn't drive)

Good luck!!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

geyersa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamajack View Post
So now is your ankle like it wasbefore you tore your tendon...flexibility, strength?
to be honest, the strength is probably not as good as it should be seeing how i did not continue PT once arriving at college. flexibility is around 70%.. say i stand up and try and pull my toes up, my left one will not come up near as far. he said it takes a full year though to completely recover, but once you do he said its going to be a better ankle than the good one. over breaks i go to PT and i can really tell a difference afterwards.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
(female)

ankley77 HB User

Wow - this is exactly what I have - a completely ruptured peroneal brevis tendon. I'm essentially functional now. I'm re-introducing running, and I can ski, dance, walk, and bike. I don't feel comfortable hiking or doing field sports yet.

I'm supposed to have surgery in early March (in 3 weeks). He says he'll fuse the two peroneal tendons, and do a Brostron procedure to improve ankle stability, so I don't sprain it again and cause more problems. I'm super nevous. Especially because I'm mostly functional and pain-free now, so it seems stupid to go get surgery.

Are you guys happy that you got the surgeries you did? I'm trying to think of it as being a good long-term solution.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
(female)

fluffy999 HB User

There's a topic about peroneal surgery here so take a look. Lots of info and stories from those of us who have had it. Do take a look.
Fluffy.

Closed Thread