It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

linda9777 HB User
how long to walking after broken heel (not operated on)

how long to walking after broken heel (not operated on)

The Following User Says Thank You to linda9777 For This Useful Post:
ray234randolph (07-14-2012)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

nannie1234 HB User
Re: how long to walking after broken heel (not operated on)

That is a great question. The sad thing is there isnt a one answer. I am going on 6 months with mine. However, i had a frozen ankle due to being fractured as well. I am still on crutches and in physical therapy. Sometimes i wonder if maybe i had surgery would that have helped me walk sooner.
How did you break yours and are you still in pain? Its sad but good at the same time that to know someone else is going thru the same as you are, thats why i love this site.it helps to get advice and listen.
Nannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Linda,
Depends on many factors including age ( I was 61). I had multiple calcaneus heel fractures with 3mm displacement on 28/2/08.Was in nwb cast for 3 months then crutches, 1 crutch,cane, no cane, back on cane now as I have been holidaying for a month in Australia where between long plane journey and too much walking, my foot very sore again, still in PT. I also wonder if I would have walked better by now if had surgery but wasn't possible for me at the time.
We will all get there but it takes time and patience.The worst thing is other people not understanding that this is not like any other injury where the bone heals and you are up and running.\the ligaments, muscles, tendons and nerves take a long time.

good Luck

Pat

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
(male)

IowaGuy1959 HB User

I too shattered my calcaneus last Nov. Surgery not required. However. it took til May 29th to have my subtalar joint fused because the cartlidge in the joint was "dusted" during my fall.
Has your orth.advised you about having a subtalar fusion performed?
From what I understand, it's pretty common to have done,when you impact the talaus bone into the calcaneus hard enough to shatter it, the cartlidge is "dusted" usually no sooner than 6 months after original breakage of the heel bone, regardless whether you had the heel repaired in surgery or not.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
(male)

IowaGuy1959 HB User

I agree with Nannie, there no single answer. Everyone of these types of breaks are different. My othro told me "this is one of the crappiest injuries there is". I've heard from my own family doctor, sometimes you're better off breaking a hip because USUALLY you bounce back faster. Even my work comp.case worker told me it's usually a year (give or take) till you're somewhat back to normal.
I've taken the attitude to just along for the ride and see where you end up, at least it could of been worse. I read an article where a guy who fell off a ladder from 6 feet, (I fell from 10) and now he's paralyzed from the neck down, and he just wishes he could pet his dog.
I try to take things into perspective--hang in there, I know I am. Lets keep chatting and keep supporting each other. I have another 3-6 months to go.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
(male)

MIABooBoo HB User

Hey guys!
I was pinned to my car by a road rage driver 17Dec09. Muscle/Knee injuries to my left leg.. and a non-displaced extra-articular calcanues fracture in my right foot... No clue what all this means.. other than I have been in a cast since and will be having it removed on 1Feb. I'm hoping that another cast will not be put on and I will get to weight bearing. I have been reading these posts... and the support here is amazing... I will let you know how it goes Monday.... Good luck to all.. this injury sucks and there is no information about them!!
Rog

Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

What did your doctor say?

I was allowed to start weight bearing at 12 weeks. I put on a wide shoe and started with the walker. Few days later, after a few drinks I was stumbling around with nothing. I used the wheel chair for a couple weeks, then walker only for couple weeks. I used cane for month or so, then once in awhile. Now 11 months later nothing.

I shattered my calcaneous and talus, but was to swollen and blisted to do surgery. So they waited to see how it would do on its own.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
(male)

MIABooBoo HB User

Hey all,

My cast was removed yesterday!! Thank goodness for me and the doc's sake! Anyway, I'm now in a removable aircast with big sock, and compression ankle sock. He told me I can be FWB but to take it easy. Use my crutches and as I become more comfortable to keep adding more weight into the boot. In a couple weeks he said that I should be able to do some of my day out of the boot.. Yayyy!! How long does it take the pain to go away?? I just want to get out and about! lol

Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

When does the pain go away? Good question. I am 11 months, and had awful day yesterday. Then weather changed and better to day. People say a year to 1.5, for it to get as good as it will get.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

I am in my 8th week, no surgery, cast was removed on Monday. No boot, Doc said I can start PWB and PT. Started Aqua PT its great!! Not much feeling in my heel but am walking with crutches being carefull not to put alot of weight on the bad foot. I have alot of swelling but the compression sock helps. The STJ does not have much mobility yet and everything in the foot is sore. Keep the Faith and press on.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
(male)

staasm HB User

I am in my 8th week today, no surgery, no cast boot was removed last friday. Doc said I can start full WB last week and no PT. i am walking with crutches being carefull not to put alot of weight on the bad foot. I have alot of swelling after leaving my foot down for a long time and it gets very stiff. ive been trying to walk with one or no crutches but i cant.also walking in the pool is very hard .i can go good on 2 crutches but thats not really weight. i have no pain at all in my heel only a little painin my outside ankle . i also had to get a size and a half bigger sneaker.

Last edited by staasm; 06-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
(male)

jack in chicago HB User

how are you doing now? when were you able to walk normally? how many months?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am 20 months. I can walk. Limp sometimes, when tired or if I am not paying attention. There is a limit, I do feel it at times. But I am living my life.

Things vary quite a bit, the injury varies.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
(male)

MIABooBoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack in chicago View Post
how are you doing now? when were you able to walk normally? how many months?
Hey all,

I did return back to work in Mid July. I'm a International Flight Attendant. After about 7 months of PT 3x's a week I still feel I went back a little to early.. But I needed to get out of the house!! Walking up and down grades is still a bit tricky for me.. and my foot will start to swell if I'm up and about and moving constantly for 8 to 10 hours a day. I do get some stiffness and a bit of pain in the morning.. But nothing that is not tollerable -- I do notice that at the end of a long day I will limp a little and my leg will feel fatigued... but I do not relate this to my heel injury because my knee was also injured.

Hope everyone is doing well.... They say it will 1 to 1.5 years to feel "normal" I'm approaching the year mark and do have to say every month I feel better.... Listen to your doc and go to PT!! (if you can)

Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
(male)

needs fixin HB User

I broke my left heel on October 9, 2010. I FLEW off a roof about 20 above ground. On my own job, so no workers comp. Also no insurance so trying to limit my visits to doctor. It was shattered into 7 pieces (that could be seen on xray). I was given a walking boot to start off with. WITH instructions not to put any pressure on it. On Nov 16 I went to see my doctor again. He took xrays again and told me to take the boot off and start walking. He gave me instructions to be walking the next time he sees me. I am still on crutches, but I am doing the walking movements.

So, whos to say how long before you start walking.....I was told 12 weeks before any walking....It was only 6 weeks and I am walking in crocs(only shoe my big fat foot will fit in)

The Following User Says Thank You to needs fixin For This Useful Post:
Collarpop101 (04-08-2012)
Closed Thread