It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
(female)

RCN1976 HB User
Post Fractured Calcaneus Post Surgery Recovery Time?

Hi all,
I'm new to this site so please excuse me if I repeat questions that have already been asked.
Back in January I fell about 15 foot from a window and fractured my left calcaneus bone. I was taken in to A&E on the wednesday evening and was told by a surgeon the next day (after an x ray and CT scan) that I needed surgery to correct the break and repair the joint that I had crushed. I had a metal plate and screws put in on the Friday lunchtime. I came out of hospital the following Monday with a plaster cast up to the knee and was told to do nothing but sit with my foot elevated. After two weeks the cast came off so the surgeon could see how the wound was healing. I was given a removeable cast that i could take off a few times a day so that i could try to flex my foot. It is now just over 5 weeks since I had the op and I've had another x ray to see what is going on inside the foot and my surgeon said that it is looking good. My wound is also clearing up well. I've been given physio exercises to do at home for the next 6 weeks and told that I can only put 5%of my body weight on the foot for the first 5 days, then increase it by 5% for the next 5 days and so on.

I know that it is very early days for me in terms of trying to walk but the flexibility in my foot is very limited as it is so stiff, even if I soak my foot in hot water to loosen the stiffness I still have very little movement in the joint. My surgeon is expecting me to walk without crutches in to his office the next time I see him in just under 6 weeks which I'm very apprehensive about! Has anyone on here had a similar break/op and could share their experience of recovery time with me? I need a little glimmer of hope!
Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Last edited by RCN1976; 03-02-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

mydd HB User
Re: Fractured Calcaneus Post Surgery Recovery Time?

Rcn

Hello yes there are alot of us who have experienced this and we have a site on here to help one another- we are under Fractured Calcaneous 11 -look at heading above
where it says foot problems -click on there then you will see all the groups scan down till you see fractured calcaneous 11 - -there will be plenty of posts and people there for you .you can post there talk with us.
my husband fell off a ladder from 10 ft and his foot got stuck under the rung in the fall with his body weight on top of that- he had a plate and 11 pins put in march 2008.
please join us at 11-there are also old posts at fractured calcaneous 10,9 ,8 etc that you can read and see what we have all been trough.
The moderator closes the boards after a certain amount of posts so we always start another -if you see 11 is closed there will be a 12 .

see you soon
Mydd
if you have any problem finding us post here and will check back

Last edited by mydd; 03-04-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
(female)

RCN1976 HB User

Thank you so much for replying Mydd, I'll check out the calcaneus 11 group now....

Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
(female)

calc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN1976 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this site so please excuse me if I repeat questions that have already been asked.
Back in January I fell about 15 foot from a window and fractured my left calcaneus bone. I was taken in to A&E on the wednesday evening and was told by a surgeon the next day (after an x ray and CT scan) that I needed surgery to correct the break and repair the joint that I had crushed. I had a metal plate and screws put in on the Friday lunchtime. I came out of hospital the following Monday with a plaster cast up to the knee and was told to do nothing but sit with my foot elevated. After two weeks the cast came off so the surgeon could see how the wound was healing. I was given a removeable cast that i could take off a few times a day so that i could try to flex my foot. It is now just over 5 weeks since I had the op and I've had another x ray to see what is going on inside the foot and my surgeon said that it is looking good. My wound is also clearing up well. I've been given physio exercises to do at home for the next 6 weeks and told that I can only put 5%of my body weight on the foot for the first 5 days, then increase it by 5% for the next 5 days and so on.

I know that it is very early days for me in terms of trying to walk but the flexibility in my foot is very limited as it is so stiff, even if I soak my foot in hot water to loosen the stiffness I still have very little movement in the joint. My surgeon is expecting me to walk without crutches in to his office the next time I see him in just under 6 weeks which I'm very apprehensive about! Has anyone on here had a similar break/op and could share their experience of recovery time with me? I need a little glimmer of hope!
Thanks and sorry for the long post!
I am from Scotland too by the way - Edinburgh!

I did the same from a ladder - on 11th Feb 09. I have a plate and 6 screws! Like you I had a cast for 6 weeks and now have a moon boot for 6 weeks ( 3 weeks to go)! I am lucky - have no pain and I am really happy with the flexibility in the ankle! I do contant ankle mobility exercises with the boot off while the leg is raised ! I am sure that has helped a lot so keep up the physio! I must confess I am really scared about complete weight- bearing! Good luck with your injury! Calc

Last edited by calc; 04-23-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: forgot to say

Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
(female)

calc HB User

I did the same from a ladder - on 11th Feb 09. I have a plate and 6 screws! Like you I had a cast for 6 weeks and now have a moon boot for 6 weeks ( 3 weeks to go)! I am lucky - have no pain and I am really happy with the flexibility in the ankle! I do contant ankle mobility exercises with the boot off while the leg is raised ! I am sure that has helped a lot so keep up the physio! I must confess I am really scared about complete weight- bearing! Good luck with your injury! Calc

Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
(male)

mrmarc101 HB User

ya i did the same exact thing.operation was feb 4 ,april 20 i put full weight,pt lasted till end of july. its now september an my foot doesnt have full motion cause of the subtalur joint is damaged. hopefully i dont get arthritis in it.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Old questions, but here is some input
With STJ damage, artitis is strong possibility. I think fusion helps this, but I am not fused, I may if I have to in the future.

As for being scared, to start weight bearing, I was excited. Its the next step. Once the doc was done with me, I stood up.

As far as progression to walking without crutches it goes quick. I had broke leg one side and heel other. But wheel chair for part of the day for couple weeks, then walker part of the day, for a couple weeks, then cane, for a few months, though I could walk with out it.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
(female)

hmruber HB User

Hello - although my husband is the one with the calcaneus fracture, I often feel I've suffered the injury as well, living all the struggles and pain and depression with him. Today was an upbeat one - progress, or at least the start of it. He had his first PT today. The therapist said he could do one or two days a week at PT, but each visit is a co-pay and being laid off since Jan., money is a little tight. He's wondering if it makes a big difference doing the extra day. The therapist said 1x a week is OK and gave him exercises to do at home. Any thoughts on this?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

One day week is ok, if he has the conviction to do it at home. I am not being a jerk, its easy to blow things off.

Is he doing his exercises every single day at the moment? Then again, if he isn't, the appointment may not matter.

I think you need someone to gauge your progress, and give you new exercises. Some of the exercises need equipment, but many can be done at home.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
(female)

Paulala HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarc101 View Post
ya i did the same exact thing.operation was feb 4 ,april 20 i put full weight,pt lasted till end of july. its now september an my foot doesnt have full motion cause of the subtalur joint is damaged. hopefully i dont get arthritis in it.
Hi, My name is Paula. Last July I fractured my heel. 4 months in a cast, 1 month in a boot. (car accident) I am now wearing a leather brace that fits in my sneaker, no more high heels for me. The arthritis started i think as soon as i broke my heel and i am full of it. I went to the Dr.s the other day and he wants to do subtalur joint fusion and scrape away the arthritis. I have to quit smoking first, hahaha. Oh, i live in RI. I do have to quit, because i need 2 other surgeries. Vocal cords, and my hand. So do expect arthritis. Sorry.

Paula

Last edited by Administrator; 12-21-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
(male)

dave11014 HB Userdave11014 HB User

Recovery is different for everyone and it depends alot on your age? I am 48 now and I am in my ninth week after reconstructing my heal and I am finding that sitting around with shoes on is making my foot stretch more in several ways. I had the bones fused to relieve the pain of a fall I had a few years ago and as I recall the pain was not that bad but I was in a wheel chair. you may need the bones fused also if the doctor says arthritis is a probablility? and its much easier to do this at a younger age than me. so I think it all depends on your age and health and diet? I would recomend a real good diet with alot of fruits and veggies and a lot of viatmins. I am on a higher PH diet to help with bone growth and healing and if you are a smoker you need to quit all smoking asap!

The Following User Says Thank You to dave11014 For This Useful Post:
hmruber (11-23-2010)
Closed Thread