It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

greyhorse HB User
stretched ligaments in ankle

would surgery on stretched ligaments in ankle fix the problem

Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: stretched ligaments in ankle

Yes, if you have stretched ligaments that do not respond to a period of rest and PT, there is a surgery called Brostrum procedure that can tighten them up again. Look it up, let us know if you have any questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
(female)

greyhorse HB User

ok i have just read about brostrom procedure..........interesting. i badly sprained my ankle in a sparring class in martial arts and my foot to my shin went the most interesting colours with bruising that i have ever seen. there are some bone fragments in the ankle where they must have come off when i rolled my ankle. dr says the ligament is loose and probably should be tightened. but i will be off my martial arts for 5 months? and in plaster for 6 weeks.......

so i guess i am just wondering is this op going to fix my ankle and have it back to the way it was (to a point)

and i have been going to pt for 6 months and its getting better but still havent got full range of movement

Last edited by greyhorse; 03-25-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: forgot to say something

Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, the recovery period is long. Trying to shorten it will probably result in the surgery coming undone. However, most people who've had it are much better afterwards. The surgeon could clean up any bone chips or scar tissue that are causing you pain or restricted motion, and he could tighten the ligaments so your ankle is stable. You might always have to be a tiny bit careful of the ankle, but it should be close to normal. If the ligaments stay loose, repeated sprains could cause more damage.

Talk to an orthopedic surgeon who does these types of procedures regularly. Ask him if you are a good candidate, and what the probable outcome would be. Also ask him what will happen if you don't have the surgery.

How much trouble are you having with the ankle right now? If you are rolling it frequently, or having regular significant pain, it's probably worth it.

Closed Thread