It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

sbehbaha HB User
Morton's Neuroma and Taylor's Bunion

I'm about ready to get rid of my foot and I'm glad I found this forum! I think I have a great podiatrist but I would love to hear firsthand experiences.

So I have Morton's Neuroma and Taylor's Bunion on my left foot. MN is an inflammed nerve in between 3rd and 4th toe. Taylor's Bunion is a bunion on pinkie toe.

Next week I am getting a cortisone shot for MN and wondering if anyone has done this and how well it worked for them. If it doesn't work for me the first time I'm going for surgery, I'm not taking chances with a second shot. If you had surgery, how was it?

Taylor's Bunion -- I couldn't find too much info online and won't see my pod til next week, so I would love to hear from someone who has/had this and what you did! Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

Edge1073 HB User
Re: Morton's Neuroma and Taylor's Bunion

Hi

I have a Morton Neuroma on my right foot and I am having surgery this Thursday 3/26. I also have Mulder's Click that came with it. My foot is clicking while it feels like I am walking on a marble. I know it's a pretty large Neuroma from the looks of my MRI. I had the shots and of course they did not work. In fact, I have another Neuroma on my left foot in the same place (3rd and 4th toe) . So when I am put under he will give me the shots in my left foot for the Neuroma. May as well not feel that pain either.

Is your Taylor Bunion large?? I will keep you posted when I have my surgery done. I have heard and read some stories but everyone is different. I guess you have to take your chance like I will be doing. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cortisone is not the proper injection for this and it will not work. Alcohol injections are the proper one and only 2-3. If they don't work by then, they aren't going to.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
(female)

Erin3394 HB User

I just had surgery for my Tailor's Bunion last Thursday. Mine was small enough that my doctor just shaved the bone and removed the bursa that had formed under the skin. If the metatarsal bone has actually started bowing out, the best option is to break the bone and realign it with pins. I'm doing well, but still having some pain. I've been weight bearing from the start, but I have to walk on my heel. My 1st post-op visit is tomorrow. He's going to change the dressing, which hopefully will make it a little more comfortable (it seems to be a little tight due to the swelling). Stitches won't come out for another week or so.

From following this board, I've read that cortisone shots don't seem to help a neuroma. You might want to ask your doctor about other treatments.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

geggar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Cortisone is not the proper injection for this and it will not work. Alcohol injections are the proper one and only 2-3. If they don't work by then, they aren't going to.
Titchou- There are 2 methods for the sclerosing alcohol injections. One is a series of up to 7 weekly injections and the other is 3 weekly injections. The 3 shot method is a bit controversial because it is a much stronger mix of the alcohol and has about the same success rate but is painful as He!! and there have been a few reports of adverse reactions to the stronger mix as well. Safer to do the up to 7 shot method. Just thought you should know. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Jcpelly: Thanks for your insight. I helped moderate a podiatrist's board a few years ago. He felt, and it seemed to be the experience of the posters on the board as well as friends of mine, that by the 3rd injection you'd know if it was working. So he wouldn't do more than that if it showed no improvement. And knowing personally what one feels like, I would never recommend someone get more than that. Ouch!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

geggar HB User

You are right about the ouch and what i've seen is that it takes almost the whole week for the pain to go away from the shot itself so it is hard to guage if it would be working or not unless you waited more than the one week between the shots. I just had a pt come back that the shots worked for 7 years ago but now they have regrown and she really doesn't want to do the alcohol shots again if she can help it even though it worked for 7 years. She is going to try the cryoprobe this time. We'll see how that works for her. Much less painful I know, whether it works as well is debatable but I think they are pretty comparable if you do the cryo twice, 2 weeks apart.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

I think I'm glad that I had mine removed!

Closed Thread