It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

suesue2 HB User
neuromas and possible weight gain from cortisone shots

I have neuromas in both feet. I was pregnant (I have a 9-week old) and thought the pain was maybe from swelling in my feet. turns out they are neuromas. I have had 2 cortisone shots in each foot between the 3rd and 4th toes. They don't seem to be working. The pain/tingling/numbness/razor blade feeling is still there; although it is a little better. we are going on a big trip in june where I will be walking a lot with three children. I need my feet to work!!! :-) any suggestions? also, would it be possible to gain weight from these cortisone injections?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Re: neuromas and possible weight gain from cortisone shots

I don't know anything about neruomas...but I do know that you won't gain any weight from the cortisone shots...no worries with that. How long ago did you get the cortisone shots?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Cortisone shots don't work for neuromas. Alcohol injections sometimes do work to kill the nerve that is causing pain.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I had a neuroma in my right foot. I got 3 cortisone shots, they didn't work, so we went on to the next procedure which was the alcohol shots, I had seven of them, they helped some, but not completely. I had the surgery, which took about a month afterwards to get back on my feet, meaning I was good enough to walk 3 to 5 miles a day. The cortisone shots are not enough to cause weight gain.

Sunny

Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I second what both the above said....

Old 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Hi,

I had my Neuroma Surgery 2 days ago and I am glad I had it done cause my DR said the Neuroma was huge.

If you decide to have surgery, you will be off of your feet for a while and since you said you have 3 kids, be prepared to have help. I can't stand to often because the blood rushes to the bottom and you see stars!

Does anyone know when I can put pressure on my foot? I have a Neuroma on my left foot too and since I'm favoring that foot more,the pain is horrible.

Good luck,if you want surgery,I would do it now before the summertime.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Actually, you should be able to stand now. I walked out of the surgery center but they had to show me how to do it. Stand on the good foot. With the surgical shoe on, SLOWLY put the other foot down, heel first and then slowly transfer your weight until you are standing evenly on both feet. It will take a bit to do this as you have to dissipate the swelling on the bad foot...I'd say it takes a good minute or more. I went back to work the day after having mine done so I know from whence I speak. It just takes some doing to get this down to where it's second nature when you stand up for the first week or so. I never elevated it and iced it because my surgeon did not tell me to. He recommended getting up and walking - which is what I did. I know some recommend the elevating and icing. I can only speak to my experience.

I was back in normal shoes - with thick, solid soles - after the stitches were removed at 2 weeks. Probably in dressy shoes a couple of weeks later. Full recovery can be as long as a year as recovery is not linear - in other words, it can be better one day and then worse the next. But am glad i did it. No problems since.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Titchou,

Thanks for the info but as of now, I am very afraid to stand on my foot because it hurts alot to even stand now. I give you alot of credit for walking on your foot right after the surgery! My Dr told me to keep off of my foot and keep it iced too.

It's funny,sometimes my Neuroma on my other foot is hurting more than my surgery incison area. Thanks again for your experience.

Closed Thread