It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

sassycleo HB User
Extensor Digitorum Longus Tendon

I have had a rough couple of months. I blew out my knee so I had to be non weight bearing for 6wks, during that time I developed a blood clot. The blood clot caused my foot to swell to an unreal size. I noticed a lump on the top of my foot during all of this. I brought it up to my pcp, orthopedic doctor and a podiatrist who is treating me for over compensation on the left foot. All have told me it was a gangelion cyst. I saw another doctor this week, who took more of a detailed look at it and has told me it isn't a cyst, but in fact a torn Extensor Digitorum Longus Tendon. He is fair certain this is what it is, and has scheduled me for an MRI on Monday. Thursday he is going to discuss a game plan with me. Has anyone gone through surgery on their Extensor Digitorum Longus Tendon? How bad is the surgery? What should I figure on as far as recoup time? I've searched all over the web but can't find anything. I'm wondering if I will have a cast and for how long. How long will I be on crutches and such.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Extensor Digitorum Longus Tendon

Oh, my, you have had quite a time!

Okay, my mother had surgery to repair the extensor tendon of her big toe. She was non-weightbearing for 3 weeks afterward, and had some trouble walking for a couple months after that.

I'm a little confused by the diagnosis, though. There are 5 of these tendons, one for each toe. Generally if they are torn, the result is a floopy, malfunctioning toe. I suppose it might be a partial tear.

We'll see what the MRI shows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

sassycleo HB User

You are correct each toe is connected to a tendon. Those 4 tendons however then come together and become one at the Extensor Digitorum Longus tendon. This one tendon runs up through the ankle and into the muscle in your leg. I have broken the tendon right at the ankle and it looks as if it's now two pieces. I have a lump on the top of my foot just below the ankle. If you flex your foot up you will see what looks like a bone run down your ankle. I no longer have this. The Extensor Digitorum Longus is what gives your foot flexion, meaning to pull your toes up. I can curl my second through fourth toes but can't lift them. It's annoying because I can't walk 100% properly as my toes don't automatically bend as I walk. I am also running into things with my foot because full function isn't there. Truly it's a pain in the you know what!..lol Most of the information I've been able to find is a repair to the tendon connected to the big toe such as your mom had done. That seems to be more common. Was she in a cast, I've seen where other's have been casted for a couple of weeks to keep the mobility to zero to help the healing. I was just trying to get a gauge on what to expect with this. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, that makes sense. You didn't mention the toe problems before.

She was placed in a surgical splint, that's the "bottom half" (covering the sole, heel and calf) of a plaster below the knee cast held on with a snug elastic bandage, with a little splint for her toe. She was in this for 2 or 3 weeks, then she started walking in the surgical sandal.

Closed Thread