It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
(male)

BrianPK HB User
Morton's Neuroma ... Help

I have been fighting Morton's Neuroma pain since November in both feet. A visit to a local podiatrist ended up with a cortisone injection that made the situation worse in my right foot. I wear a size 14 shoe so finding shoes is difficult. I have a relatively high arch.

I have had three sets of custom orthotics made, one by a Pedorthist (used foam box cast), one by the POD that gave me the injection. One by a third POD. The inserts from the pedorthist (who supposedly makes orthotics for olympians) are made of cork & some various soft materials, they are over 1 3/8' thick cork at the highest point on the arch. They fit my arch when when there is no pressure on my feet but, when I put them into shoes and stand or walk it feels like the entire weight of my body is on my arches, with several 'pressure points' that really press on my feet and make localized pain points. I have tried to wear them for two months and cannot wear them for more than 2 hours. When I voiced my concerns to the pedorthist he said 'I made casts of your feet, they are right there is nothing wrong.' These cost $350.

The POD who gave me the injection had an office girl make plaster slippers of my feet, then after three weeks gave me a set of 'orthotics' that are labled 'system 3.0 sport'. These are very thin and hard. They have an extremely hard heel (raised about 1/4 ')and some type of low, thin, fibreglass arch. There is almost no padding in them. They have a heart shaped 'metatarsal pad' in them that is almost 3/8' tall. When I wear these it is like walking on concrete with golf balls under my feet right behind the ball of my foot. When I stand on them my little toe hangs about 1/8' off the side. I was told to wear these for 1 hour the first day then add an hour each day, If they started to hurt my feet I was supposed to 'back up' for a couple of days then try to advance with time again. I can't get past 2 hours with these. I paid $350 for these. The POD said that he only gives one injection and if it doesn't work he goes directly to neuratectomy, he also said that 'my prescription is correct, you should consider surgery'. When I asked him about sclerosing injections or cryosurgery he told me that those procedures are for 'innovators and lecture circuit doctors'. When asked about stump neuromas or complex regional pain syndrome as a result of the surgery he said, 'yeah, that happens sometimes'. This POD is the local teaching 'resident' for podiatry at a respected local hospital.

A second POD made me a set of 3/4 length plastc arch supports that were 'heat molded' to my feet. He made a couple of adjustments to them and they fit my arches fairly well. However after wearing them for more than a couple of hours my heels start to hurt (burning pain in the center of my heel) It's like walking on concrete. These cost $179.

I also had cryosurgery on both the neuromas in both feet at this time.

Three weeks after the cryosurgery the burning / electrical pain in my right foot has returned and I have had sharp needle like pain in both feet from the trauma of the cryosurgery that doesn't seem to be improving real fast. The POD who performed the cryo recommends more time, ice and NSAIDS. I cannot disagree with this approach, I may just be impatient.

I have purchased the following three pairs of shoes:

1) Clarks 'Unstructured' dress shoes. These shoes are least offensive to my feet with respect to the Morton's problem. The problem with them is they have very unusual insoles. Right over the heel there is a sewn in rubber button, they also have almost no arch support in them. When I wear these shoes for a long period of time I start getting a 'buzzer/burning' pain in my heel. I've tried putting pads over the heel area and after wearing the shoes you can remove the pad and see where the sewn in plug actually has impressed the pads. The POD that made me the plastic arch supports told me that the reason that my heels hurt when standing was that I was stretching my arches due to lack of support. These shoes are very flexible and pliable.

2) New balance 992 walking shoe. When I wear these shoes I feel the 'marble' in my forefoot from the neuroma in both feet. It feels like my sock is bunched up under my toes.

Almost every pair of shoes I try on regardless of manufacturer feels like this.

Walking in these shoes makes my forefoot hurt over time but the 'buzzers' in my heels seem better when wearing these shoes.

3) Brooks Dyad Same as the New balance 992

I can walk barefoot all day in the house on carpeting and not have the neuroma problem make my life unbearable. If I walk on the lawn with the 992's the neuromas 'sock ball' is significantly reduced. As soon as I walk or stand on a hard surface (especially concrete) the neuroma pain goes through the roof with the New balance and Brooks shoe. It feels like ther are golf balls under my toes. When I wear the Clarks shoes the neuroma pain is bearable on hard surfaces but, the 'buzzers' in my heels become unbearable.

The only 'gait analysis' done on me by anyone was having me walk down the hallway and they watched me walk from behind.

It would seem to me that if I can go barefoot on carpeting on all day without significant foot pain I should be able to find a suitable shoe / orthotic combination that can help.

This has become a very frustrating problem as the original pedorthist and POD are very hard headed. They don't want to make any adjustments or admit that their approach could have been wrong. Shoe stores don't want to see me because they always end up 'ordering in' shoes for me to try on because they don't carry 14's or 14 wides. They don't even want to order any more shoes for me unless I agree to purchase them unconditionally. They say 'we can't sell shoes that size and can't afford to ship them in and stock them'. (I'm 6'3' 210, it would seem to me that there have to be a lot of big guys that wear size 14 in the world.)

There isn't even a store within 50 miles of my home that has a pair of Crox RX in size 13.

I've spent a tremendous amount of money and time and only have frustration and continued pain for my efforts. Has anyone got relief from this problem. I've seen nothing on the internet that indicated that relief is possible, only stories of failed nerve removal, emergency room visits from alcohol injection pain, and stories of countless dollars spent on orthotics that do nothing. I feel that I am one step away from a wheelchair and endless pain at age 50. I work in factories so I walk and stand a lot on concrete floors. Today unless I am barefoot on padded carpet I cannot stand still for more than 5 minutes without unbearable pain. If I try to work, after 4 or 5 hours I can't even do my job because all I can think of is the pain in my feet.

Sorry for the length of this post, but this has been an ongoing issue, and I am getting depressed over that fact that nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any positive results in these "neuroma" matters. I feel hopelessly condemned to pain.

Thanks for listening ...

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2009 at 07:10 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to BrianPK:
hinge (10-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianPK For This Useful Post:
Mema65 (09-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Morton's Neuroma ... Help

Oh my, I am so sorry for all your problems. You don't say where you are from so I can't make any suggestions there. I can tell you my experience. I was dxed by my pod who wanted me to do the orthotics route, quit jogging, dancing and wearing heels. I, being a vain woman in her mid 50's, felt that was not what I wanted. I found the best foot and ankle ortho sports med doc in town - and possibly the country as he is very well known. He said removal and you can keep jogging, wearing heels and dancing. So I picked that option. i just didn't want to mesa aorund for months trying different things that might or might not work. I wanted a sure thing. Never have regretted it and it's been almost 8 years.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

geggar HB User

First of all you have had some very bad luck with orthotics. I can't believe these guys won't try an adjustment or at least add some padded topcovers to the orthoses/reduce the size of the metatarsal pads. As for your treatment, yes I have tried all modalities over the years and unfortunately surgical excision is still the most successful.

edited

I had a good talk with one of the docs that did most of the testing and development and it was recommended to start trying a second treatment approx 2-3 weeks after the first if not seeing good results and I would say that by doing that the success rate is up to around 70 percent seeing relief. This can be a temporary cure and would recommend getting orthotics with the metatarsal raise to try to prevent recurrence even if it does work. I've pretty much given up on the alcohol injections as the cryo pretty much does the same thing and doesn't hurt as much. If that doesn't work then would probably need surgery.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Excellent reply. You know, for someone who has had a neuroma excised and a successful cheilectomy, these stories as so hard for to read about! Surely I'm not the one in a million that they work for. I wish more folks who have had successful outcomes would post here and be supportive.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi Brian, I am also one of the success stories. I did have to go thru the process of cortisone shots and then 7 alcohol shots, this was for insurance purposes. The alcohol shots did help some, but not enough. I went thru the surgery Sep. 08. It took me about a month to get back to normal, I could walk afterwards, but not fast, and I had to wear a surgical shoe for month. Sure got sick of that. But now I am completely recovered, and walking fast again, 3 to 5 miles a day. I do have some scar tissue on the top where the incision is, but I am rubing it a lot to break it up and it is almost gone. My honest opinion, you have gone thru way too much, you need to have this neuroma taken out. I wish you the best, and you should check out New Balance web sites, they carry the larger sizes and widths, my husband has big and wide feet and can get his shoes there. Take care...
Sunny

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

I just had Neuroma surgery last Thursday and I'm still with my foot up in the air!!! My husband won't let me leave the house....he thought I snuck out of the house this morning cause I din't answer the phone right away. lol It's done on my right foot anyways..duh

I trust my POD 110% and I am glad I had the surgery. I will admit that I have been afraid to walk on my foot cause it hurts but time will heal. Question,what's the difference between the surgical shoe and the boot? I have read alot of people wore the boot after Neuroma surgery and I have the shoe. I can't imagine walking in that thing with this kind of surgery. The out patient center gave me the shoe. Should i mention the boot to my Dr this thursday when i see him?

Brian, I would do the surgery if your in that much pain. honestly, I have not had my neuroma for that long but my doctor said it was very large. The Mulder's click was very bothersome to me along with the pain.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do with your Neuroma's.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
(male)

BrianPK HB User

<removed>

I have really been researching my condition and the associated problems that caused it. I believe that I want to persue the following course of action:

1) Get shoes that fit correctly with proper orthotics to correct the bio-mechanics that direct forces towards the center of my foot when I walk.

2) After making sure that the underlying mechanics are as good as they can be, go at it again with Cryo. The cryo is minimally invasive and really doesn't hurt anything. I feel that if I can get my shoe fit and gait under better control the cryo will have a good chance of success.

For anyone else reading this post, the Cryo really isn't bad. It's an easy procedure and if it works, will save you from the possible complications of more invasive procedures. It is my understanding that it may be repeated also, and, that sometimes it takes more than one "round" to be effective.

Without proper footware and motion control provided by orthotics one will keep "grinding" on the nerve. The trick I believe, is to get the mechanical "ducks" in order, then repair the damage caused over time by the previously faulty mechanics.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: please read the posting rules

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Brian: The two main causes of neuromas are 1) sports related situations such as in runners, tennis players, etc and 2) high heels (which I am sure is not your problem!). I'm a female jogger who loves the way her calves look in heels so for vanity reasons orthotics in all shoes was not an option!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

medeamedea HB User

Hello, you post-surgery people.
I had surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago and I still have some pain. Not the neuroma flame-on, live wire pain, but lumpyness and soreness in the ball when I put weight on it, along with very weird tingling when the now nerve-less area is pressed. Does this sound like a normal part of the healing?
Thank you!!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I have always found it hard to explain post surgery feeling of my foot, you did a pretty good job of it. I still have this feeling on the bottom of my foot as if there were a wire in there being pulled. I don't much get the lumpyness on the bottom anymore, so I think it sounds pretty normal.

Sunny

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

I agree. Sounds perfectly normal at this point in recovery. Remember, recovery from this procedure can be 12-18 months and it is not linear - in other words, you can be better one day and not as good the next. It isn't progressive.
Hang in!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge1073 View Post
I just had Neuroma surgery last Thursday and I'm still with my foot up in the air!!! My husband won't let me leave the house....he thought I snuck out of the house this morning cause I din't answer the phone right away. lol It's done on my right foot anyways..duh

I trust my POD 110% and I am glad I had the surgery. I will admit that I have been afraid to walk on my foot cause it hurts but time will heal. Question,what's the difference between the surgical shoe and the boot? I have read alot of people wore the boot after Neuroma surgery and I have the shoe. I can't imagine walking in that thing with this kind of surgery. The out patient center gave me the shoe. Should i mention the boot to my Dr this thursday when i see him?

Brian, I would do the surgery if your in that much pain. honestly, I have not had my neuroma for that long but my doctor said it was very large. The Mulder's click was very bothersome to me along with the pain.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do with your Neuroma's.
I was in the shoe...and I was walking. From what I've learned from others here and on other boards, some docs subscribe to the elevate and ice theory and some, like mine, subscribe to getting up and walking ASAP. I went back to work the next day and then drove 350 miles by myself the following day! All approved by my doc.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeamedea View Post
Hello, you post-surgery people.
I had surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago and I still have some pain. Not the neuroma flame-on, live wire pain, but lumpyness and soreness in the ball when I put weight on it, along with very weird tingling when the now nerve-less area is pressed. Does this sound like a normal part of the healing?
Thank you!!

I just saw my POD today for my 1 week post op. I had Neuroma surgery on 3/26 and I told him I still was not putting any weight on my foot because if I tried to walk in that stupid shoe,the pain was so bad. Did you have that live wire/stinging on the bottom of your foot in the area where the surgery was performed on the top of the foot? Hope that makes sense,cause it doesn't hurt anywhere else when I put pressure on it. He gave me a boot instead and wow what a difference in walking! I still have alittle pain but not like when I tried walking in the surgical shoe. Are you still walking in a surgical shoe or at this point,you can walk around with no shoe on.(Barefoot)? My POD does not want me walking yet in a shoe cause scar tissue can form. Thats why I am asking at 4 1/2 weeks you can put weight on it and wear regular shoes? I guess that sounds good hoping no scar tissue will form.

My POD said that my Neuroma was pretty huge cause as he performed the surgery,and got to the nerve, the Neuroma literately popped out! My foot is sooo black and blue it looks all beat up!

Did you do any physical therapy on your foot? when I get my stitches out next Thursday, I will start my physical therapy.

Titchou, I have read many of your past posts, and from what I am going through, I give you lots of credit for your ability to get up and walk and DRIVE right after your Neuroma surgery!! But like my POD told me today, some people walk right after surgery and they can't believe how it feels so much better now to walk on that foot!! Again, this is right after their surgery. I guess I am an odd ball huh? He said my surgery went so well,he's surprised I haven't put full weight on my foot yet!! Yeah right!!

As we all know and say, every surgery is different and everyone heals differently too.

Thanks everyone for reading this and giving me some answers!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Well, since the doc told me to do it and they showed me how to stand and dissipate the swelling, I just thought everyone did it. I'm the sort who doesn't want to be a wimp so I just sucked it up, took two more Aleve and went on my merry way. Of course, I was flat worn out every evening from all the energy it took!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
(male)

BrianPK HB User

After reading the posts here I think I'll try Cryo at least 10 more times if I have to. 3 weeks after cryo my right foot feels "normal" until about 4 in the afternoon then it gets sore depending on how much I walk on it. My left foot is almost pain free all day. I don't think I'd take the chance on open surgery unless I was in a wheelchair from pain.

Closed Thread