It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
(male)

zafzo HB User
spiral fracture

Hello,

I spiraled my left 5th metatarsal
I <got my> fracture playing soccer when I planted my left foot and had the outside cleat catch and the rest of my foot rolled over it. I heard it snap but there was no pain whatsoever. I walked off the field and proceeded to the ER to get an xray

<removed>

My orthopedic doctor told me it was a beautiful spiral. It's been a week since the break and when I got the cast. The doctor said three weeks in the cast(only two left) and then 3-5 in a walking boot. I specifically asked when I can play soccer and hockey again and he said 6 to 8 weeks. <Did anyone have a> spiral similar to mine?

What is really odd is that there has been absolutely no pain. None, whatsoever from the time it broke to right now(one week later). I've broken plenty of bones and usually it hurts like hell for a few days after the break. It's odd.

Hopefully I won't have the same issues you guys have had as all of my other breaks have healed very rapidly(same type of break in 5th metacarpal was fine in 4 weeks) but now you have me worried.

Ryan

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: do not post picture links: read the rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: spiral fracture

The only possible difficulty is that some parts of the foot, including portions of the 5th metatarsal, don't have the world's best blood supply. Still, the fact that you are fit is in your favor.

Keep it propped up whenever you aren't moving around. When you go back to have the cast taken off, the Dr will x-ray it again to make sure it has healed enough.

I think that expecting to play soccer the day you get out of the walking boot is a bit unreasonable, not to disagree with your doctor or anything. Certainly I would want to practice just walking in shoes for a while first!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread