It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

pearlcat HB User
midfoot arthrodesis

Hello!

I need two surgeries to my left foot. The first will be a midfoot arthrodesis in which the doctor will do a midfoot fusion using six screws. The second surgery will involve an ankle reconstruction in which a tendon is inserted into my ankle as I have no ligaments left to speak of. I will not likely have the second surgery until at least a year after the first. My question is regarding the midfoot arthrodesis.

My doctor told me I will be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks post op and then slowly will begin to put weight on it. He said that after the first plaster splint cast is removed after 2 weeks and fiberglass cast is put on I should be able to get around pretty easily. He expects me to be in the hospital overnight. Most likely the screws will be in my foot permanently and full recovery will take a year.

I had a less involved ankle reconstruction 13 years ago (same foot) and I was able to go back to work on crutches about 2 weeks after the surgery, however, no screws were involved with that surgery. With the arthrodesis is it reasonable to expect that I will be able to return to work after I get the fiberglass cast? I expect to use a knee walker, crutches, and possibly a wheel chair to get around. I guess I'm wondering what recovery will be like. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: midfoot arthrodesis

Hi,
I have had two lapidus bunionectomies, both which invoved two screws and breaking a bone and fusing it in the midfoot, non-weight bearing for 6 weeks.
Do yourself a favor and don't go back to work for at least a month because your foot will be swollen and every time you put the foot down, it will throb.
Even after a month, you may not feel like you want to go back to work. Any work done on the midfoot will take a looong time to recover from. I'm currently 7 weeks post op on my left foot and I can barely keep up with the housework, I walk some, rest some, which I would not have been able to do at work. Work can wait, heal yourself first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I had a triple arthrodesis 11 weeks ago. I would not recommend returning to work for 6 weeks (foot will throb when not up) and then perhaps part time for another 2 weeks. At 2 months I felt fine and very bored but getting around on knee walker and transfering to wheel chair etc was tiring. Perhaps part time until you have your strength back....if you can afford it.

Shelly

Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

pearlcat HB User

Thanks for the information. That's what I was afraid of. I'm a doctoral student and I'm hoping I can teach an online course this fall, work I can do from home. I also have a part-time job and am wondering if I should take a leave of absence from that. Will hurt my income but I live in an upstairs apartment with steps to get up there, and probably the less up and down the first few weeks the better.

Closed Thread