It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

TLHALL HB User
Sever's disease

My son has sever's disease and we have tried almost everything to help him. Dr. told him to take two weeks off from baseball, during this time take aleve morning and night, had him doing stretches 3 x day, ice and gave him heel lifts. We thought that was working until last night he was able to return to practice only to have his feet(mainly his right) one hurt. We had the same lift put in his cleats that are in his regular shoes. Our only other choice right now is to have cortisone injections,which i am not comfortable with right now( he is 11). Does anyone have any experience with this, maybe what you tried and helped??

Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

Erin3394 HB User
Re: Sever's disease

My daughter plays competitive soccer and has had do deal with sever's disease. It seems to be relatively common in 8-11 year olds, especially those who are very involved in sports. I have a friend whose son is an elite gymnast who had this problem too. Have you done PT with a physical therapist? I would suggest doing this with a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine before doing cortisone injections. What kind of doctor are you seeing? Again, I would find an orthopedist or sports medicine doctor if you're not seeing one already. For my daughter, we had to take a total break from soccer for 2 months (along with any other high impact activity like gym class), do physical therapy, NSAIDs, ice and elevate at least 3 times a day. When she went back to soccer, we had to ice and give motrin IMMEDIATELY after any practice or game for the next couple of months. This tends to be a problem during puberty that they grow out of eventually. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

TLHALL HB User

Thanks for the info. We are seeing a podiatry dr. Giving him aleve before practice seemed to help some but not alot. This is just frustrating cause as a parent i want to fix it and make him feel better, but i can't!!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

Erin3394 HB User

I know it's frustrating! It's difficult to deal with a child who's having pain in addition to them moping around because they're unable to do their sport! I think resting the foot and giving it time to calm down is key. Unfortunately, 2 weeks off from sports might not be enough. I hope he's hitting home runs again soon!

Closed Thread