It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

deedeeartist HB User
removal of stitches after bunion and second toe osteotomy

Hello, This board has been so helpful. I really appreciate all of your answers. I am now almost two weeks post op for above surgery. I am scheduled to go see my doctor on this Thurs for my first post op appointment and I think it is for removal of stitches. Has anyone had experience with this and can tell me what to expect. This is the first time I have ever had stitches so I don't know what to expect. Also I have pins in my toe, but I don't think they come out for six weeks. Thanks, Deedeeartist

Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: removal of stitches after bunion and second toe osteotomy

My first experience with stitches and their removal was last June after double bunion surgery on my right foot. The removal didn't hurt, but he did tug. I would suggest you not look if you get quesey. My most important advice is to not walk too much after the removal. I did and ended up nwb for a week.
I felt fine for the first two days, and then had terrible nerve like pain. Much worse than post-surgery. I think I caused the skin to pull too much. I also had a lot of nerve pain from the pins, again I think because I put too much pressure on the healing tissue. The good news is that pin removal was a breeze, no pain at all, just tugging. Once my pins were out, my healing accelerated. Good luck and let us know how the removal goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: removal of stitches after bunion and second toe osteotomy

Yes, it should be just a tug. I've had many, many stitches removed over the years - even removed some of my own! (thumb and stomach) Of course, I can't look when someone else does it to me....good luck! You'll be fine.

Closed Thread