It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
HELP!! 3.5 weeks post op-- slipped tonite, slammed surgery foot onto concrete

Hey guys!!!

I need your expert opinions!!!!! desperately!!!

Tonite I went to see my grandmother----I am just 3.5 weeks post op from a very tedious tendon transfer and left heel osteotomy-------

I was using my crutches b/c I was going up stairs--like a stoop outside a house---and on the last step I stumbled----and i did exactly what i shouldn't have done---i caught myself on my surgery foot and slammed it straight down onto the concrete stoop---directly on my heel---------

i cried and cried----my mom feels terrible----my doctor keeps late hours so he was still in the office----I have to go in at 3pm tomorrow to have the cast removed and xrayed-----then hopefully be recasted and thats all i will need----

i am in a fiber glass cast----but i have been in pain since i did it--significant swelling----my doctor has been very precautious with me b/c my tendons were in such bad shape----he had to do so much work in the surgery- i am so scared i messed something up------i just hit that heel so hard on the concrete..........
he told me one false move and it would be back to surgery i go-----what if i have to have more surgery-----i just want to cry---------

anybody had this happen before??? please any encouragement would be great-----thanks in advance to everyone and for being here to talk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: HELP!! 3.5 weeks post op-- slipped tonite, slammed surgery foot onto concrete

If you do have to have surgery, better to correct it than let it heal funny. I am glad you ventured out. On my first day back to school I had climbed up the 3 steps of the garage on my way to bed and fell! I was so upset and worried, my doctor sent me for xrays but said that the cast (fiberglass) was made to impact the blow. Try to get rest to slow your heart, I think panicking made it harder to cope with and my pride felt shot. I was so upset because I had just made it so far and then fell and not knowing if I screwed it up was awful. In fact I sat down about a week ago, and reflected on how many times I fell. I got to 4 and 5 today when I slammed my leg into a pole trying to catch my cast. The first fall is the worst and I'm so glad there are family members to support how difficult it is. Let me know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: HELP!! 3.5 weeks post op-- slipped tonite, slammed surgery foot onto concrete

The cast is built extra-tough to withstand even the occasional fall. And at 3.5 weeks, I'd imagine some healing has already occurred.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

i fell off my crutches once and slammed my cast into the floor...so scared. but all was well. the cast is hard. but i had fusions....no tendon involvement. wishing you the best.
shelley

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Thanks for all your kind words-----I really hope all is well-----I think I just have this horrid vision of the screw popping out the back of my heel! LOL---Its that whole "Frankenstein foot" syndrome! I already know my foot looks absolutely horrid-----so whats one more vision to add to it!!!

I will let you know what I find out----hopefully all is well----wonder if they will wrap me double time in the cast if i ask??

Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Oh Tracie1204, I am so sorry that you had a mishap. I was wondering how you were doing I haven't seen a post from you in a awile. Lets hope this is just a little bump in the road to recovery. Other than the pain you are in now and of course being scarred mindleeseverthing else ok? Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Well----I am home from the doctor----and as far as he could tell, per x-rays and manual exam, my osteotomy seems okay, and as far as we could tell, my movement and rotation appears okay. He said he is sure its gonna be sore and it definitely, from what I could tell, and in his opinion was definitely showing some bruising-----but we feel good that I did not mess up all that tendon work that he had done---and like I said, the osteotomy appears okay.

But what i did "win" out of this was a new cast--LOL----a bright green one---all they had to offer was green and red---hello---not Christmas!!! It's Easter!!

Anyway---They wrapped it double and then he triple wrapped the fiberglass casting part---so its literally the biggest cast I have ever had....my cast cover for when I shower won't go over it...So we are going to have to come up with a better plan on that-----

So I am going to take it easy tonite ----hope everyone is doing well.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Glad to hear everything is ok. For the shower you'll have to resort to a large garbage bag. I tuck a hand towel inside the upper part of the cast all the way around so if water does get in it the towel gets wet not the cast.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Thanks Walleye----Thats a great idea with the hand towel! I had not thought about that!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I propped the leg outside the shower curtain on a chair a bit higher than the shower chair. This way, water wouldn't run up the leg to the cast.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Gosh, I sure am glad all was well. I hate that you have that big cast as it will be heavier and more bulky and might be a little harder to "navigate". Were they afraid you might break a regular cast?

Hope you aren't in too much pain. Next time go up the stairs on your bum!! Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

emmie

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hey janewhite----thats a good idea too----what I have been doing is sitting inside the shower (the master bath where I bathe has a shower stall and a garden tub)---so i sit inside the shower stall on my stool, facing out, with my foot propped up on the towels clothes hamper, and at the angle I am at, there is just enough of an "incline" that it will have that effect, that the water should run down away from the cast. But b/c of the cast protector, I have never had to think about it running "away" from the cast, b/c it is completely sealed---so that is a good thought!

Emmie-----Thanks!! His nurse told me, in a very good natured way, that their klutzy patients earn a "more padded" cast once they have had an accident! LOL----ad he even said, he was just really concerned about my tendons. I think I have said before, he is a very cautious doctor, which I appreciate very much. Yes the cast is bulkier and heavier---but I promised him that I would try to not make any more ventures out where I have to climb steps---or at least concrete steps!!!

So if nothing else, I have extra padding, I am concentrating really hard when I use my crutches------and am praying with every hop, that i don't fall splat on the ground

Last edited by Tracie1204; 04-01-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
(female)

tijean HB User

Wow Tracie, that is so heart breaking that you had the fall and a new cast. I tell you crutches are the work of the devil! I used a walker as I just could not feel safe on the crutches. And I did go up and down the stairs on my bum...it looked funny and my pants got a bit dusty, but I felt more secure. Now I'm in an air boot and cane and have learned to go up and down the stairs ( I live on the third floor...old brownstone no elevator!). It has been wonderful to feel mobile again. You'll get there! Stay positive!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Tracie, I just went back to living downstairs because I felt I was going to muck it up going up and down stairs, it feels well worth the risk. In fact when I went to the doctor we averaged I fell once a week since I saw him. Hang tough!

Closed Thread