It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
Sesmoiditis after bunion surgery

Any one out there develop semoiditis after bunion surgery? If so, how was it treated. I have tibial sesmoiditis and I understand removing the bone will cause the bunion to return. This condition is quite debilitating and I am desperate for answers. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

pohtr HB User
Re: Sesmoiditis after bunion surgery

What is sesmoiditis? I'm 1 year post bunionectomies and have new swelling and pain that weren't there since the surgeries. Is that what you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

It is inflamation of the sesmoid bones. The 2 pea sized bones under the first metatarsal. Very painful and disabiling. Every step you take you put pressure on them. Look it up on the web under sesmoiditis.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi chub, it took at least 10 - 15 years after my 1st bunion surgery for me to break the saizmoid bone. the dr had to redo the bunion surgery and i think he removed the bone. it usually happens after a botched bunion surgery.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Debbie, did he take out the one bone or both. He says mine is the tibial sesmoid. I have the MRI coming up this Tuesday. My understanding is that if you remove one of the sesmoids the bunion will come back. If you remove them both the big toe will hammer and they have to fuse it. I don't know what to do at this point. My surgery is 1year tomorrow and still in pain. This isn't right.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

my bunion never came back and i dont recall what the dr took out. go for it and end the pain once and for all. the only bad thing that happened after soooo many years is hallux varus. that is when the big toe separates from the 2nd toe and it moves outward. i have such a mild case. that can be fixed.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Debbie, I am having the MRI tomorrow morning and will have to wait to see what that says. Will keep you posted. I am tired of sitting on the couch and being in pain when on my foot. I am also concerned about the other foot. Thank you for your help. No one quite understands foot problems unless they themselves have them.

Closed Thread