It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
(female)

yaohua HB User
Re: PTTD surgery 5-1-09 --many ?s

Mary, I had my pttd surgery on 4/1/09. I had one Lovenox shot in hospital by a nurse before being discharged. She showed me and my husband how to administer the shot. My kit included 7 shots. So I had one shot daily for the first 7 days I came home. It is not difficult to give yourself a shot. My husband gave me about 4 shots, and I did the rest myself. The needle is very fine, did not hurt at all. It is administered on your stomach, you pinch the fat (which I have a lot) of your stomach, and stick the needle in and release. Really very easy, you do it alternately on left and right sides. I don't know how long you have to do it. I only had a total of 8 shots. I remember one of the members on this board had like a month of shots. I was told that not everyone needs the shots. Because I am 64, an older patient, probably not being able to move around as younger patient. So the shots will prevent blod clot. Don't worry, it is easy and not difficult at all. If you had done shots to your dog, you can do it without any problem.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hey there Mary!

I know everything about this who process is so daunting--so I don't worry about asking questions----I know its all the world of the "unknown" right now!!

I have about 12 days left of my shots--which will complete the 60 day cycle that I have been on them. My doctor confirmed on wednesday that I do not have to get another refill.

I do have a medical background as far as training and dealing with needles--however---thats totally different that sticking yourself with a needle!! LOL

But seriously, it is not bad at all, just as Yaohua said! Its a very small needle---you just have to sike yourself up to just stick it in!!! YOu just pinch up your fat on your stomach, as she said, and make sure you alternate each day, left side/right side. Now since i have been doing these for awhile, I do have some bruising and bleeding occasionally---but I think its only b/c I have been on them for so long.

So really---its no big deal, I promise. I actually had a pharmacist come up to my room at the hospital and she showed me on some "fake skin" how to do it--I was too drugged to explain to her that I was familiar with giving shots! LOL--so i Just went right along with her---and my boyfriend was there in case he would have had to have done it---but I have given myself all of my shots myself! I was actually pretty proud of myself that first day at home! LOL!

Well I hope between what yaohua and myself had to say, that you were able to find some of this info useful----please try not to worry too much about it--and hang in there!!!1 Post anymore questions, as I am on here daily checking in! Take care!!

Tracie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
(female)

Lesley54 HB User

I had that surgery 5 years ago. I had to inject myself with Lovinox, a blood clotting drug for 10 days. It sounds terrible but I got used to it quickly. I also had to use it when I flew in a plane a couple of months later and had to wear compression hose. I live in a 2 story house and would go up and down the stairs on my butt. I was in good shape and that kept my upper body strength. If you have wood or tile floors an office chair with wheels is great to scoot around the house. Have your doctor give you a prescirption for a disability driving tag. You will understand how important those close parking spots are, if you can drive. Later on I used the disability carts in the grocery store. It got me out for a short while. A little embarrassing, but does the job.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
(female)

mary2 HB User

Wow three responses about shots, Thank you all. I feel much more relaxed about it now. The alternative is cumadin with a visiting nurse drawing blood twice a week. That does not sound as good as the shots.
Thanks for making the approaching surgery less imtimidating!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
(female)

yaohua HB User

Mary, I forgot to tell you that the Lovenox kit came with a DVD and book with very good instruction on how to give yourself the shots. I did not watch the DVD (my husband did), and I only read the pictured book. After viewing the DVD and book, you should have no problem to do it. There is definitely no pain. Like Tracie, I also had bruisimg and bleeding (very little, maybe a drop or so).

Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Mary, How'd the surgery go?

Just wanted to say I'm thinking about you and sending good wishes your way. Hope to see a post from you soon!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Same here-----Hope you are hanging in there Mary!!!! Sending good thoughts your way!!!

Let us know how things went, when you can!!

Closed Thread