It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

pearlcat HB User
Triple arthrodesis -- how long off work?

I'm going to have a triple arthrodesis of the midfoot. How long should I expect to take off work?

Has anyone had this surgery that lives alone? What should I line up for support?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Triple arthrodesis -- how long off work?

i was out from may 9th til aug 1st. doc would NOT let me go before then. and then i was still on crutches until sept 4th and in boot until october.

you will need help the first week for sure, 2 weeks is better. then you will go in your normal cast and is much easier to maneuver. and you will be on less drugs then. if you can get someone to help with meals that would be good. also you will have to surgery proof your home, and figure out your bathroom, shower situation. get a cast cover to go over your cast so you can bathe, i put a bucket in the shower and sat on it, we also had a hand held sprayer in the shower that was wonderful and easy.

pick up all rugs and make easy paths in your house. do trial runs of where to sleep, where to sit, and make sure you foot is propped up ALL the time.

after a few days i was ok to get up by self and go potty, but had constant help the first 2 weeks. after that my hubby would set up breakfast and lunches in fridge for me or on table next to recliner. i would have a sling bag in fridge so i could fill it up and crutch back. that helped alot. i also put a cell phone pocket on my crutch so i would have it with me all the time...in case i fell.

keep questions coming.....
shell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi Pearlcat

I am 11 weeks post op with the same or similar surgery (triple arthrodesis with column lengthening and achelles tendon lengthening.

You will probably need help for 2 weeks much of the day(unless very young and agile in which case possibly a bit less) at least until you can get to potty by yourself. I found that with a knee walker once I was in a lighter cast after the first 2 weeks I could microwave food and carry things in one hand while steering with the other.

Possibly could return to work with a knee walker, a desk job and someone to drive you at 6 weeks.....I could have done so after 2 months.

At around 12 weeks you move to a boot and it makes a huge difference! I now use a walker and can gradually move up to full weight bearing. Yeah..you can go to work, drive but still need to have a sitting job for another 2 months

Good Luck with your surgery

Shelly (the other one)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

i went into boot after 2 months, but didn't have the achilles lengthening.
shelley

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
(female)

pearlcat HB User

This all great information. Because I live alone I was planning to hire home care to come in for a couple of hours a day to help during the first two weeks. I'm hoping one of my friends might stay with me for a few days. I live in a small apartment so getting around shouldn't be too difficult (I hope).

I had ankle reconstruction (no metal involved) 13 years ago and was able to go back to work in a couple of weeks (NWB for 6 weeks). However, what I'm reading on this board is clearly telling me that this is a much more significant surgery. Of course, I'm now 43 and not 30 and not nearly in the same shape I was then.

The surgery will be on my left foot, so I was hoping to be able to drive after a couple of weeks but it seems like this may not be realistic?

Thanks for answering my questions. Kate

The Following User Says Thank You to pearlcat For This Useful Post:
navicularfx08 (01-17-2012)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

I am 30 and it still takes that long! you won't feel up to driving for a while. i drove when i went back to work, so 3 months

Closed Thread