It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

corkeysue57 HB User
one week post toe fusion - no pain yet

I am one week post toe fusion. I had arthrites in the toe and had a failed joint replacement.That was taken out one week ago and at that time I was given a toe fusion. My question is why has there been zero pain, I took pain med. for two days althought I didn't feel I even needed it. The color in my toes are fine and I can wiggle them under the cast. This bewilders me b/c pain after the joint replacement was absolutely intolerable. Anyone else have no pain or is it yet to come?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: one week post toe fusion - no pain yet

didnt have much pain after toe fusion. be glad and i think its a good sign!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

skylergrace HB User

Hi, I need to have either a joint replacement or fusion done on my left foot, big toe. After reading that you had a joint replacment that failed and how very painful it was, I would assume you would recommend that I stay away from the replacement idea and choose to have a fusion. I am thrilled to hear that you are doing so well and having little, if not pain, at all. What is your post-op instructions? Are you on crutches? Was it your big toe? Did you have your work done by an ortho. surgeon or a podiatrist? Is this the first surgery you have had on this particular joint? If not, how many other surgeries have you had. I have had 2 surgeries on my toe and am terrified to have the 3rd because I am afraid it still won't be fixed. Did you have the same fears prior to yours? Thank you so much for anything you might have to say that will help to ease my anxiety.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

skylergrace HB User

corkeysue57, I just realized your last post was in April! How are you doing today? I hope you are still around to reply. Are you happy with your results? Thank you!!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

corkeysue57 HB User

Hi there. Yes indeed , I did have a Big Toe fusion after a failed joint replacement . Both surgeries were done by the same ortho surgeon. The first was excrutionally painful and remained that way until I had it removed almost a year later. When he removed it he said it just popped right out which meant that it never took. This was the reason for the pain. He said it would be the same or worse feeling as prior to the operation because I still had something scraping on my bone. He was not at all happy with the success rate of the patients who had undergone the joint replacement and has chose not to perform any more of these. Second operation I accepted all the pain medication I was given and quit taking it because I honestly had no pain although I would suggest it for the 1st and second day in case. My post op instructions were crutches, physio and a boot. I ditched the advice because I felt I had to regain strength in my ankels. I only took the weekend off work , got around on a computer chair and did what my foot "told" me. Every day I could get myself healing and it was only my ankles that took a little time. I am so happy to walk completely normal. First time since probably 8 years. I have no swelling and can get into any shoes. I am so pleased I wear a slight "high heel" even though I never did before. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread