It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

ggola HB User
Pending PTTD surgery - many questions

I injured my PTT on 12/28/08 while working out. I had my left knee replaced on 6/12/08 and my right knee replaced on 7/23/08. I went to my orthopedic surgeon the first of Feb. when my PTT pain began to be annoying. He ordered an MRI and at that time it showed moderate damage to my left PTT. I was then placed in a boot for four weeks and told that if the pain returned once I was back in my regular shoes that he would recommend me to a podiatrist. The pain returned and I went to the podiatrist. The podiatrist ordered xrays and he watched me walk. I was then told that my ankle and heel was collapsing inward. He read the MRI report and then did an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed a portion of my PTT thickening and then a nice size section that was inflamed with a loose bone fragment in the middle of the inflammation. He told me that my PTT was dysfunctional. He suggested that I be casted for a Richie brace. My insurance will not pay for the brace which is about 1,000.00. Yesterday, I was in the office to pay for 1/2 of the cost of the brace and was asking the nurse several questions when the doctor walked in the office. I then asked him my questions. He took me to one of the rooms to review my xrays and then did another ultra sound. My PTT is now showing a small tear and he is recommending surgery.

Questions:
1. Did anyone else have their surgery with a podiatrist?
2. How long was the hospital stay after surgery?
3. I live alone, did anyone stay in a rehab hospital?
4. Since I had my knees replaced last summer, the knee roller is probably out for me if the weight is placed on the knee on the knee roller?

I'm a teacher and my principal feels like I'm in pain, I should have the surgery sooner than later especially since I would not want to miss the start of the new school year on August 31st. I'm looking at scheduling surgery April 30 or May 7th. I'm very scared because my orthopedic surgeon told me to avoid surgery if possible (which I feel like I have) and that this is a surgery he wouldn't want and that has me terrified. Please help me clear my mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

scribytoo HB User
Re: Pending PTTD surgery - many questions

ggola,
I underwent a triple arthrodesis on Sept. 2 because my arch was completely collapsed. I had been undergoing conservative treatment for PTTD for many years including the 4 years before surgery in a Richie brace. The reality was that I had pain almost daily from what was most likely a rupture leading to total collapse. One year after the collapse, I had a total knee on my "good" foot leg. Then had the 2nd knee done 3 mos. before my foot surgery. Like you, I am a teacher which is really hard on the feet and knees, isn't it? My foot was diagnosed by my podiatrist, whom I liked very much. But when it came to the triple A., I decided to have the foot surgeon from my ortho group do it. It was a rough recovery because I couldn't use a knee walker and really couldn't tolerate crutches. Hopping on my walker with my two year old knee was only good for short distances so I used a wheelchair. I was 10 weeks in a cast, 2 weeks in a boot non-weight bearing then at 12 weeks began slowly bearing weight. I returned to work at the beginning of second semester, 4 months later which was right on the schedule I planned. I am walking well now and having virtually no foot pain. Knees hurt sometimes. Other things from the long recovery. But overall, I'm quite glad I did it. There is still occasional swelling after a particularly long day. I still keep a cane handy but wore sandals to work for the first time in ...maybe 15 years?...a week ago.

I was in the surgery center for two nights after the surgery as there was some trouble controlling my pain. They did a nerve block but it didn't seem to work well for me. Perhaps it was just the finals straw after going through two knees! But I came home after that and my husband was home for a few days. When he went back to work (he works nights) I had friends that came by to help at dinner time for several weeks. My wheel chair didn't fit through our kitchen entrance until we moved some things around.

If I were alone, I would have considered a convalescent center for a couple weeks after wards. For two weeks after surgery, there was a plaster splint on my foot. When that came off and the stitches came out, it was easier to get around with the fiberglass cast - though still not weight bearing.

Hope that helps give you a bit of useful information. I wish I'd been more aggressive and dealt with it sooner in some ways. It's a tough recovery but I had a great result. I know people with tendon transfer instead of fusion like I had seem to do very well also, from the people on this list.

Take care and best wishes as you make your decisions.
Linda

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

ggola HB User
Re: Pending PTTD surgery - many questions

Thank you for your information. It is helpful. I'm planning on talking to orthopedic surgeon's office on Monday. I'm open to all suggestions at this time.

Closed Thread