It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

my sore feet HB User
Thumbs down Crutches and sore body!

How sore is anyone else out there who's been on crutches? I'm 8 1/2 weeks post op after a fusion and because there was a graft also, i've got 3 1/2 more weeks to go NWB. My wrists are sore, my back is sore, my right forearm is sore all because of these crutches from hell i'm sure. Before all this i worked out everyday and was is relatively good shape (for 51) so i'm very annoyed at how sore i've become. Anyone else experiencing or experienced the soreness during this recovery period?
Thx
Brenda

Old 04-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

tijean HB User
Re: Crutches and sore body!

Hi Brenda,
I know what you mean. I started on crutches after my
ankle surgery and switched to a wheelchair and walker
because the crutches were horrible... Wrists ,back and under
the arms.... Always in pain. I found that raising the legs on the
walker made my back much better and straighter and lessened
the likelihood of falling. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I used a knee walker (check for various brands on the web)..Could not have made it on crutches for 3 mos nwb.

I hate the walker now that I am relearning walking

good luck

Shelly

Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User

Hi Brenda,
Before my surgery, I was on crutches for 3 weeks NWB with the boot. Then PWB for 1.5 weeks. Now post op I am on crutches: 2.5 weeks NWB...leading into PWB for about 4-5 weeks. YES....crutches really wreak havoc on the shoulders, back, spine, hips. You can be a really strong person but the muscles are recruited in a totally different way (from normal activities) when using crutches and when recovering from an injury...you can't recruit that injured limb either...so it really does a number through the kinetic chain. I had to back off a bit on activites...just to give my other knee a break. Like you with being in good shape and working out every day, I've been an avid athlete most of my life.....this is a completely different journey...don't get down on yourself for having the pain....this journey isn't easy...it's much more challenging than any "workout" or "athletic event!"
Hang in there!
Let Me Walk!!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

Lindsey09 HB User

Yes, I have currently been on crutches for 2 weeks and my whole body is sore. I had to have surgery on my foot and therefore I will be on crutches for a while. My lower back is sore and it is killing me.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
(female)

my sore feet HB User

Shelley
Yes i did rent a thing called a Roller Aid that gets me around in the kitchen, the problem with being on that for any length of time is that with my knee bent it seems to cut off circulation to the foot and it starts to tingle and feel uncomforable, plus my back starts to ache from having to lean over while perched on the roller. All in all this pretty much sucks and i'm getting quite sick of the whole thing. I try to keep positive and remember some are way worse off with other medical problems than this, but it doesn't make me more comfortable physically. These boards are nice to have as misery loves company.
Thx for your reply.
Brenda

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Brenda

I got a roll-a-bout...looks like a scooter. I haven't had any circulation problems with it, I can do a lot and move pretty fast with it. I wonder if it is different design. Also, the pad height must be adjusted correctly or you could have problems. Also I do not really lean over, kind of stand up right.

Shelly

Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Is your roll about or knee walker adjustable? I am now just starting my 4th week with it. At first I had to find a comfortable position for the knee didn't have any tingling from it though. I put bubble wrap in the top of my air cast to keep the cast from digging into me, it works great. My knee walker is one that can turn in all directions without have to lift it around corners. I got egg weave foam for the knee because the longer I am up that started to hurt and felt like there was no padding at all. Crutches and I do not get along so I can understand how you feel about them. It's hard but once you get the right combination you'll feel better.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

you will get sooooo sore from crutches, hobbling around. you are using muscles you never did and are putting so much more effort out because you can't use one leg.

few suggestions......ice what is sore, and eat lots and lots of PROTEIN. once i added protein bars, (gen soy ones are yummy) or protein shakes i felt much better. it helps heal tissues. and make sure you are well hydrated.

shelley

Closed Thread